"Mortal Kombat II 32X Arcade Edition" improvement hack released by Master Linkuei

Romhacker, Master Linkuei, who has worked in other romhacks like Prince of Persia Remastered Edition and Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse FastROM, to name a few, has released v1.5b of his Mortal Kombat II 32X Improvement Hack, which features a ton of Quality of Life updates to make the 32X game the closest experience yet in a home console to that of the Arcade original.

The 32X version released back in 1994 features more detailed SFX, graphics and new cutscenes compared to those from the original Mega Drive / Genesis release. However, the original 32X release still features the OST from the Mega Drive / Genesis version, and it was also widely known of its hard difficulty (but that's a given with anything Mortal Kombat 2).

This romhack adds a toggable option for nerfing the AI and adds a lot of dropped content from the Arcade version, like missing SFX, combos, fixing timings, and much more, and it even has an additional patch that allows the player to use the Arcade OST using a MSU-MD hack, which allows for better quality audio, similar to MSU-1 hacks in SNES titles.

For those interested, the full changelog is detailed here:

Changelog said:
  • Added more voices and sfx samples:
    • Scorpion's "Get Over Here"
    • Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick
    • Shao Kahn's Laugh
    • Dan Fordden's "Oh waaa"
    • Sub-Zero's Ice SFX
    • And more...
  • Added SFX in the backgrounds:
    • Livin' Forest
    • The Portal
  • Combos restored and improved:
    • Jax Flying Kick + Grab in the air
    • Scorpion's Flying kick + Teleport
    • And more...
  • Gameplay and timings improved
  • Reset System:Press ABC+MODE to reset or go back to the MEGA ED PRO menu
  • Training Mode with an exclusive new music track!
  • Deadpool Dan Fordden's "Oh waaa" easter egg restored
  • The PIT II fatality improved (sfx, animations and sync)
  • 32X+ alternate patch with all the Arcade songs (based on the 32X+ code by jvisser)
  • Auto 3 Buttons/6 Buttons detection
  • Enable or Disable the Timer option
  • Color palettes improved and added shadow mode in some screens to look more accurate with the Arcade game.
  • And a lot of other little improvements...

• AI Nerf (by @BillyTime):
    • ON = The difficulty selected will be fixed for every fight of the battleplan (even for the bosses)
    • OFF = The original AI: after the 3rd fight, the CPU turn into a BEAST lol
  • Pause System (by @yosoynacho):
    • Press MODE to pause and Start to unpause

:arrow: Source

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I had the tower of power when I was a kid but I have no idea what happened to it.
Well, in less than 6 months I got the Master System II, the three mentioned, and a Saturn.

I had some friends that had Sega systems, though I was more of a Nintendo guy.

Now was the time to revisit the catalogue that I missed.

Hoping to get a Dreamcast this year.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in less than 6 months I got the Master System II, the three mentioned, and a Saturn.

I had some friends that had Sega systems, though I was more of a Nintendo guy.

Now was the time to revisit the catalogue that I missed.

Hoping to get a Dreamcast this year.
I'm hoping to get a NeoGeo later this year myself. Maybe a TurboDuo too, but those cost a lot of money, and I'd have to invest in a CRT television.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fixing the cheating AI reading your inputs is already a HUGE improvement. But to be honest, I never played the 32X version, so I don't know if it was cheating like the arcade version.

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fixing the cheating AI reading your inputs is already a HUGE improvement. But to be honest, I never played the 32X version, so I don't know if it was cheating like the arcade version.
I'm not sure I agree. It's annoying when the AI cheat, but if you remove it you need to be sure the AI is smart enough to give you a challenge without it. If not, the game will be fun for 5 min and the it's boring.
A cheating AI is sometime necessary for it to be challenging, especially on older hardware.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure I agree. It's annoying when the AI cheat, but if you remove it you need to be sure the AI is smart enough to give you a challenge without it. If not, the game will be fun for 5 min and the it's boring.
A cheating AI is sometime necessary for it to be challenging, especially on older hardware.
Challenging it was, that's for sure. But you're right, it was probably the best they could do with AI back when it was released. It's actually very similar to the rubber band AI in racing games back then. I don't know if it's still being used nowadays.

Reactions: Sphaa

5witchy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
An arcade perfect MK1 on MD/Genesis, an arcade perfect MK2 on 32X...
This can only mean one thing: next one's gonna be a GOOD MK3 on a handheld !!

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Challenging it was, that's for sure. But you're right, it was probably the best they could do with AI back when it was released. It's actually very similar to the rubber band AI in racing games back then. I don't know if it's still being used nowadays.
Main AI issue was actually how much of a cheat it was. Remember trying to uppercut an opponent and you miraculously failed, only to take one in the chin? Or jumping kicks that were almost always responded to in kind?

AI input reading was unfair, but passable but when hit priorities were butchered, that was when the game became unfair and artificially hard.

Reactions: Dust2dust

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Main AI issue was actually how much of a cheat it was. Remember trying to uppercut an opponent and you miraculously failed, only to take one in the chin? Or jumping kicks that were almost always responded to in kind?

AI input reading was unfair, but passable but when hit priorities were butchered, that was when the game became unfair and artificially hard.
I couldn't agree more! Fortunately, the game shined when played with another person. That's probably why it's so fondly remembered.

Reactions: eyeliner

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works like a charm...

jjeSixw.jpg

Reactions: fmhugo and eyeliner

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
An arcade perfect MK1 on MD/Genesis, an arcade perfect MK2 on 32X...
This can only mean one thing: next one's gonna be a GOOD MK3 on a handheld !!
Arcade perfect MK2 on 32X...? Nonono, the music is still made of the original weak ass FM Synth from the Mega Drive version. You need a Mega CD or an expensive flash cart for the arcade music to be enabled

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too...