Mortal Kombat+, full disassembly and QoL fan project celebrates franchise's 30th Anniversary.

1665855217854.png

Mortal Kombat celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, with the very first Mortal Kombat game release on arcade machines back in 1992.
The franchise itself has become iconic with gaming, and it has been a pivotal point in video game history and its evolution, alongside other games like Doom.

However, the 30th anniversary of the franchise came and went without any worthy mention so far about a new game, with nothing more than a message in Mortal Kombat's official site, a video for the anniversary and a released bundle including MK11 Ultimate and a copy of the Mortal Kombat movie from 2021.

Though, fans wanted more than a bundle and some words.

That's why a versed team of Mortal Kombat fans have created the Mortal Kombat+ project, which aims to disassemble the original 3 titles of the franchise (MK1, MK2 and UMK3), and modify the disassembled code to rework, bugfix and implement a variety of QoL features into the games.
So far, only MK2+ and UMK3+ have been released, and the original Arcade ROMs patched can be played through MAME or other emulators compatible with them. The first Mortal Kombat title is still in development, with a beta for it still being planned for released within 2022.

For those interested, you can visit the Mortal Kombat+, you can visit the project's website, where they detail the whole changelog for each one of the titles.

Mortal Kombat+ said:
Klassic Mortal Kombat Updated
Midway released three classic arcade fighting games known as Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

We spent months disassembling the original Midway code and fixed known issues that were never fixed by Midway without harming the original gameplay. We also added some new exciting features as well as some new exciting secrets to be found.

The result is the classic Mortal Kombat games we know and love made by the original Midway team in the nineties simply… updated.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Mortal Kombat's 30th Anniversary video (restricted)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 44

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you mention the added QOL features several times in the article but never once mention what they actually are!? I see you have a hyperlink, but what is the point of writing an article if you’re just going to outsource half the information to another site?

I see bugs where fixed but what else ?

Reactions: kcajjones

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How can you mention the added QOL features several times in the article but never once mention what they actually are!? I see you have a hyperlink, but what is the point of writing an article if you’re just going to outsource half the information to another site?

I see bugs where fixed but what else ?

It's a long list of features for each game, including them all would just clutter the article, but here it is in a really summed up manner:

1665858397084.png

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
But the source states "Playing on real hardware isn’t possible at this time due to the Midway Security Chips." So what am i missing?
Oh you're right, I thought they had that working but I seemed to have confused it with custom builds/custom emulators.
Will remove that.

Reactions: wartutor

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, won't AI read your inputs, making the game ENJOYABLE?
I was gonna mention that. The biggest bug in the programming, at least for MK2, was the computer cheating and reacting in a microsecond to your input. I understand it makes economic sense for a quarter-muncher in the arcades, but playing at home on an emulator, this feature is less than desirable.

Reactions: eyeliner

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is somewhat old news. I have both my MK2 and MK3u boards updated to the latest versions of "+". I don't know where the information about not working on real hardware comes from because that's exactly the idea behind those mods, is to be used on real hardware. These mods aren't even recognized by MAME unless you use some specific versions or add what you need in the MAME database. Opposed to what your article say , Mortal Kombat 1+ is available to people who have donated to their project but only works T-unit hardware (unfortunately I have a Y-unit board version) and UMK3 requires you to send your serial number so that a specific version can be programmed for your board and so you can play it on hardware (again for kontributors)

Some notable changes of the projects are 2v2 TAG battles, combo counter and damage % on screen, true random ladders, A bunch of secrets in MK2 to unlock (Play as hidden characters/bosses), Fight Hornbuckle! , Much tougher AI, some scrapped moves were added back. UMK3 is closer to Mortal Kombat Triology with all brutatlities , play as hidden characters that even have custom fatalities. Most if not all these changes can be toggle on or off in a custom settings menu. They also went on to fix a bunch of bugs all around the games. Some games have added fight zones. For any mortal kombat fan that hadn't heard of this project before I definitely suggest to look into it.

20221016_090156.jpg20221016_090233.jpg

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I was more of a SFII fan back in the day, I did manage to sink quite a few quarters into these machines. Gonna definitely have to check out these hacks though to see if they make me any better than I was 30 years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup