Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't believe so. As I understand it, you do not have the actual legit certificate that says you actually own the title. You may download the update, but it will not be recognized and link with your cia game. You can get updated cia files though if they have been released.
I just updated a bunch of cias from the eshop. So i guess it does work?

Tescowiec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm now preparing files to set up CFW on my downgraded n3ds and got to the point where I have to download "firmware9.5.bin". I've found something on that iso site called native-firm.bin. Is it what I need to download? Sorry if noob question but I've never set up emuNAND before.
Or maybe should I use Reinand cfw? I have now console with browserhax and menuhax set up, of course 9.2.

Last edited by Tescowiec,

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Yellows8's Homebrew Launcher .CIA (Requires editing on the payload .bin (Hold the Y button whilst opening the app to download) to make it read HBL8.3dsx instead of boot.3dsx, simple find and replace, can be done even by Notepad++"

can anyone explain what exactly i do here to get this to work? which file do i edit?

Katanira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm following your guide - and it may be just because I'm new to this - but how do I boot rxTools from the CTRBootManager? I assume it's through a file in file browser, but i'm unsure which one I'm supposed to be using to start it up.

EDIT: I was missing the .cfg file.

Now I'm getting that same NATIVE_FIRM: 4 error as the other dude. Not quite sure what could be wrong with the firmware file.

I got that error for quite a while, but after some searching, I used this guy's links https://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools...rom-browserhax-homemenuhax-to-rxtools.398420/ to get the rxTools files (he links to them) and followed his instructions on getting the firmware.bin ...I had to use oot3dhax to boot back into ctrbootmanager, though, because when I restarted into emuNand, it would restart menuhax.

Katanira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I created an emuNAND, it runs, I injected FBI and all went well, I unlinked the NANDS, but when I enter system settings and close system settings, it closes emuNAND and loads sysNAND. This seems like a bug to me.

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, so I created an emuNAND, it runs, I injected FBI and all went well, I unlinked the NANDS, but when I enter system settings and close system settings, it closes emuNAND and loads sysNAND. This seems like a bug to me.
I can confirm this, accidentally updated sysnand because I didn't see that it switched.

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, that's normal.
System Settings enters the console into Safe Mode, which it then exits by restarting the OS, which of course results in getting booted to sysNAND.

"Yellows8's Homebrew Launcher .CIA (Requires editing on the payload .bin (Hold the Y button whilst opening the app to download) to make it read HBL8.3dsx instead of boot.3dsx, simple find and replace, can be done even by Notepad++"

can anyone explain what exactly i do here to get this to work? which file do i edit?
You're supposed to edit the hblauncher_loaderXXXX.bin file.
There's a line that reads boot.3dsx, this has to be changed to HBL8.3dsx for it to boot directly to the Homebrew Menu instead of going through CTRBootManager.

I got that error for quite a while, but after some searching, I used this guy's links https://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools...rom-browserhax-homemenuhax-to-rxtools.398420/ to get the rxTools files (he links to them) and followed his instructions on getting the firmware.bin ...I had to use oot3dhax to boot back into ctrbootmanager, though, because when I restarted into emuNand, it would restart menuhax.
God fffffffucking dammit.
The N3DS firmware.bin guide has been through 3 revisions already and I have no way of testing which one is more accurate.
I'll give it a try tomorrow and finally settle WHICH firmware.bin is supposed to be used by the releases in the OP and WHAT it's supposed to be named.
This is utterly nonsensical now.

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So after a few tries, I got everything set up only to find out I don't actually need CFW (only did it for undubbing games). Anyway, since I've got it set up anyway is there any way to access the eShop from emunand? I like to buy games/DLC and I figured that a 9.2 sysnand with 10.3 emunand would make it work but apparently not.

//edit No clue what happened, just started working. Doesn't nag me for system updates anymore like it did before (yes, I am on 10.3, no clue why it did that).

Last edited by Creqaw,

XularusXIII

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wha? In the Ironhax installer, it won't let me select anything above 9-9-0 USA for my O3DS firmware. I used the auto version. Should I redo the menuhax install with the 10.3 link?

zzzzzzonked

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got everything working except I can't access the homebrew launcher anymore. Everytime I try to access it whether through browserhax or menuhax, it pops back "ZIP3DSFX v0.6" "ERROR opening internal archive!" "Press any key to reboot" with a black screen. Can't find any solutions googling. Any ideas or fixes?

Banamy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im getting a new memory card soon. Can I do the entire setup on the old card and transfer it to a new sd card easily?

AnukWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I got a problem as well. Just downgraded my n3ds via Julian20's sysupdater.
Installing the EmuNAND worked fine, can also still boot into SysNAND and into HBL but not into rxTools. It always tells me that NATIVE_FIRM couldn't be loaded, even though it has been downgraded as well. Also tried to switch the firmware.bin file used by rxTools from the 9.5 one to 9.2, but the error is still the same.

Any ideas?

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some of my cia's that i installed seem to disappear after i go into friends or miiverse but will come back if i reboot the system they will be back in the gift wrapping anyone have this issue?

Last edited by IpsoFact0,

Garrincho

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I got a problem as well. Just downgraded my n3ds via Julian20's sysupdater.
Installing the EmuNAND worked fine, can also still boot into SysNAND and into HBL but not into rxTools. It always tells me that NATIVE_FIRM couldn't be loaded, even though it has been downgraded as well. Also tried to switch the firmware.bin file used by rxTools from the 9.5 one to 9.2, but the error is still the same.

Any ideas?

I was getting that until I switched to the alternative rxtools build in the OP, then it worked first try.

Quick question, I already ran Tinyformat, how can I be sure that the nands are unlinked now 100% sure? I want to update emunand to 10.3

keroppi

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure it's booting into sysNAND?
By default, emuNAND is an identical clone of sysNAND. Going to System Settings should say RX-E if you're on emuNAND on boot.

I'm sure. I installed FBI & SaveDataFiler in emuNAND and the one I boot in is the NAND without them.

Booting while holding L correctly got me into emuNAND with RX-E in System Settings.

By the way:

Try redownloading firmware.bin and dropping it in.

I did have the same problem as Bonerlord (NATIVE_FIRM: 4), and solved it by using the included cdn_firm.py script. It generated the /firm directory instead (I was using the mega.co mirror).

Another issue was that I couldn't get TMD info out of my device, it returned "Opening S... Failed". Had to follow the injection guide to install FBI.

funtuna464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble getting rxtools. The dropbox link on the site doesn't work.
Edit:
rxTools works, but I cannot inject FBI. I get Error opening 0:fbi_inject.tmd!

Last edited by funtuna464,

AnukWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was getting that until I switched to the alternative rxtools build in the OP, then it worked first try.

Quick question, I already ran Tinyformat, how can I be sure that the nands are unlinked now 100% sure? I want to update emunand to 10.3
It seems to boot now, thanks! Got a new problem though. I set menuhax to trigger automatically without a button press (so I won't risk booting to sysNAND), which results in a second menuhax trigger as soon as rxtools is launching. Which means, that when I don't press anything to get into CTRbootmanager but press L after rxtools is booting, I actually get into emunand. If I don't do anything, I get kicked back into CTR (due to menuhax).

Anything I can do about it?

//Also, if I am e.g. in system settings in emunand and want to return to homescreen, I also get kicked back to CTR.

Last edited by AnukWolf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1