Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkaxe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No real possibility of softbricking, but it's a bit more of a hassle to get it going than just doing the usual transfer steps and you're done.
I believe you have to make sure it boots to emuNAND every time rebooting is involved during the transfer process and not a whole lot else.

so be sure menuhax is working basically?

Giever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've successfully downgraded my o3DS to 9.2, I set up an emuNAND, I set up the latest CakesFW nightly on it, I installed the FBI .cia, separately from the original Health & Safety injection, and I formatted my sysNAND using TinyFormatter (so my NNID ought to be on my emuNAND now).

Am I now safe to update to 10.5 on my CakesFW emuNAND? Do I do this through the regular system settings? Also: I'll still have FBI on my home menu after the update, right? So I should be able to continue to run homebrew/install .cia files/etc.?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so be sure menuhax is working basically?
Basically.

So, I've successfully downgraded my o3DS to 9.2, I set up an emuNAND, I set up the latest CakesFW nightly on it, I installed the FBI .cia, separately from the original Health & Safety injection, and I formatted my sysNAND using TinyFormatter (so my NNID ought to be on my emuNAND now).

Am I now safe to update to 10.5 on my CakesFW emuNAND? Do I do this through the regular system settings? Also: I'll still have FBI on my home menu after the update, right? So I should be able to continue to run homebrew/install .cia files/etc.?
You just update from emuNAND system settings, yeah.
You should still have the FBI health and safety injection in your Home Menu as well, unless a new update comes out that upgrades the H&S title, which is why I recommended installing FBI as its own title.

darkaxe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Basically.

You should still have the FBI health and safety injection in your Home Menu as well, unless a new update comes out that upgrades the H&S title, which is why I recommended installing FBI as its own title.

I transferred emunands today, took around 4 or 5 hours. Had no issues, except after it was done I had to disconnect the router as they said in another thread so it would finish. Thank you again for answering.

Giever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks, I got it to work. Though it took about 4 tries and the update kept failing. Each time it would download a little bit more of the update until it finally had enough of it that it could proceed before the error would occur, lol

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originally did my o3ds with rxtools on the old version of this thread. Did two of my friends o3ds with cakes using the updated tutorial. I just have to say how damn much easier it is with cakes as opposed to the rxtools tut. Awesome job once again on the tut! Extremely noob friendly now. :bow:

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use menu hax to boot my system. I want to format my sysnand. How do I go about doing this? If I hold L the boot menu comes up and I can go into the homebrew menu. If im in this menu, how do I know if im in emunand or sysnand?

I

Last edited by thegameksk,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If u want to load sysnand, turn the system on normally. Meaning no hax triggers and dont go into your cfw. Simple as that. U can also make sure by going into system settings. Once you back out of system settings, sysnand loads. At least thats how it works on my rxtools and cakes systems. Remember, if u format sysnand, youll have to use browserhax to get back into the homebrew menu and reinstall menuhax.

Last edited by V0ltr0n,
Reactions: thegameksk

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use menu hax to boot my system. I want to format my sysnand. How do I go about doing this? If I hold L the boot menu comes up and I can go into the homebrew menu. If im in this menu, how do I know if im in emunand or sysnand?

I
As long as you haven't opened your CFW of choice since powering up, you're definitely in sysNAND.
It's fairly straightforward, and emuNAND HBM has a fairly distinct boot process that's hard to miss.

Dr. Yay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten past step 8 and now my n3DS won't detect any of my games or themes, any idea what I did wrong?

EDIT: nvm, got it working by reformatting the SD card.

Though I should also mention that go.sh doesn't work on OS X, it gives me the error below even though everything is in the right place. I sent the folder over to a friend with windows and go.bat worked fine with them.
#!/bin/bash

if [ -e input/hs.app ]

then for x in input/*.cia; do . tools/process.sh $x input/hs.app; done

else printf "ERROR: hs.app not found\nPlease generate hs.app with Decrypt9 and put it into the input folder\n"

fi

Last edited by Dr. Yay,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've gotten past step 8 and now my n3DS won't detect any of my games or themes, any idea what I did wrong?

EDIT: nvm, got it working by reformatting the SD card.

Though I should also mention that go.sh doesn't work on OS X, it gives me the error below even though everything is in the right place. I sent the folder over to a friend with windows and go.bat worked fine with them.
#!/bin/bash

if [ -e input/hs.app ]

then for x in input/*.cia; do . tools/process.sh $x input/hs.app; done

else printf "ERROR: hs.app not found\nPlease generate hs.app with Decrypt9 and put it into the input folder\n"

fi
Yeah, I noticed.
There's no OSX build for the tools either, which is an even bigger problem.
I'd point people towards installing FBI to sysNAND before formatting emuNAND as an alternative, but I don't quite, as they say, "dig it".
I'd rather keep sysNAND as clean as possible, and I tried pretty hard to make sure of that.

ExcideSC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i ordered this sd card and I'm hoping that it works in the 2ds I heard I have to make sure that all cards are formatted in fat32 so the sd can recognise the card itself

In still a little confused about how to back up all the stuff on my current SD like the NANDs and move everything over to the new SD card without having to go through installing CFW all over again

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 170

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to load gba games on emunand with cakes? Through emunand, gba games give a black screen. I currently use minipasta to load sig patched sysnand and play them on sysnand but it'd be better if i can do it directly on emunand. I have the game installed on both nands

Last edited by uribemaster,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i ordered this sd card and I'm hoping that it works in the 2ds I heard I have to make sure that all cards are formatted in fat32 so the sd can recognise the card itself

In still a little confused about how to back up all the stuff on my current SD like the NANDs and move everything over to the new SD card without having to go through installing CFW all over again
Use the 3DS Multi emuNAND creator to back up your emuNAND, inject it into the new SD card and move all the files over from one SD card to the other. That's all you have to do.
Is there a way to load gba games on emunand with cakes? Through emunand, gba games give a black screen. I currently use minipasta to load sig patched sysnand and play them on sysnand but it'd be better if i can do it directly on emunand. I have the game installed on both nands
I've never actually worked with AGB_FIRM so I couldn't tell you, sorry.
I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but I believe I heard Cakes versions before 125 have broken AGB/TWL support(??).
You might want to update Cakes.

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never actually worked with AGB_FIRM so I couldn't tell you, sorry.
I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but I believe I heard Cakes versions before 125 have broken AGB/TWL support(??).
You might want to update Cakes.
I'm on 128. Excellent tutorial btw. Anyone have an answer?

Last edited by uribemaster,

Ktmax33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yo i got a new sd card and it worked of me so you were right and it was the sd card sooo yah now i have a completely different problem i cant load into homebrew menu it tells me (ZIP3DSFX v0.6 by d0k3 ! error opening internal archive! press any key to reboot) pls help i finally got games to install but now i can't use save editors

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So, while this wasn't a problem for me because I formatted my sysNAND, but my friend wants to know.

He currently has his emuNAND linked to his sysNAND, he wants to unlink them, however he doesn't want to lose all of his data.

Is there any way to make it so that all of his things end up on his unliked emuNAND after unlinking them?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, while this wasn't a problem for me because I formatted my sysNAND, but my friend wants to know.

He currently has his emuNAND linked to his sysNAND, he wants to unlink them, however he doesn't want to lose all of his data.

Is there any way to make it so that all of his things end up on his unliked emuNAND after unlinking them?
TinyFormat to the sysNAND is the easy way. sysNAND will be reset to a blank slate and emuNAND will keep everything.
yo i got a new sd card and it worked of me so you were right and it was the sd card sooo yah now i have a completely different problem i cant load into homebrew menu it tells me (ZIP3DSFX v0.6 by d0k3 ! error opening internal archive! press any key to reboot) pls help i finally got games to install but now i can't use save editors
This is easily the weirdest problem I've heard of in a very long time.
Have you tried the SD card on a different console? It's probable that something is wrong with your 3DS.
I'm on 128. Excellent tutorial btw. Anyone have an answer?
You might have better luck asking in the Cakes thread, but it's POSSIBLE something might be wrong with your AGB_FIRM.

UnassumingVenusaur

In All Her Gay Glory
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, here's a problem I'm having. I'm at the point where I dump, run through go.bat w/ FBI.cia, and inject the Health&Safety from EmuNAND. For some reason, though, whenever I try to inject it fails. This is a bit puzzling to me as I thought I had followed the instructions correctly, and even did the entire process over a second time. Here's the full text of the error message.

Using EmuNAND @ 1D7800/000000
Searching title "Health&Safety"...
Method 1: Search in title.db...
System version 9.x
Found Title 0004001000021300
TMD0 found at 15A88000, size 2868b
APP0 found at 15A90000, size 832kB
No usable file found
Heath&Safety Inject: failed!

Does anyone see what mistake I'm making, or have advice as what to try?

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, here's a problem I'm having. I'm at the point where I dump, run through go.bat w/ FBI.cia, and inject the Health&Safety from EmuNAND. For some reason, though, whenever I try to inject it fails. This is a bit puzzling to me as I thought I had followed the instructions correctly, and even did the entire process over a second time. Here's the full text of the error message.

Using EmuNAND @ 1D7800/000000
Searching title "Health&Safety"...
Method 1: Search in title.db...
System version 9.x
Found Title 0004001000021300
TMD0 found at 15A88000, size 2868b
APP0 found at 15A90000, size 832kB
No usable file found
Heath&Safety Inject: failed!

Does anyone see what mistake I'm making, or have advice as what to try?
Well did you rename the file hs.app?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto