Hacking More Homebrew Questions

Paula

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just received a used Wii U, everything appears to be working so far. Messed around with homebrew a bit but not too much, have a few questions before I do anything else.

If I use the exploit to permanently install The Homebrew launcher, are there any ways that It can result in my console becoming bricked? (uninstalling the game, moving the channel around, updating the console, etc)

If I use the Brazilian method to install games to a USB drive, are there any risks of bricking and would there be any problems if I were to remove the USB drive and use the console?

If a brick did occur, is there any easy fixes? (On Wii, you could use bootmii and restore a backup, but I couldn't find anything like this for the Wii U :()

If anyone has any tips on avoiding bricking, I'd really appreciate it, I'd hate to do something stupid like install the wrong thing or open the wrong app and accidentally brick. (I bring this up because somebody said that user-created homebrew can cause a brick, I haven't messed with much because knowing me I'd probably come across the one app that screws me over lol)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Paula,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently no true boot exploits exist for Wii U, so the only way to recover from a brick would be a hardmod, which would only work if you have a NAND dump of that Wii U (easiest way to get would be to get redNAND set up, and then dump that from SD to a computer). As for the Brazilian method, it should be almost completely safe. Afaik homebrew launcher shouldn't have any chance of bricking, only a DS VC game with haxchi/CBHC would cause problems if you did that.

Paula

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently no true boot exploits exist for Wii U, so the only way to recover from a brick would be a hardmod, which would only work if you have a NAND dump of that Wii U (easiest way to get would be to get redNAND set up, and then dump that from SD to a computer). As for the Brazilian method, it should be almost completely safe. Afaik homebrew launcher shouldn't have any chance of bricking, only a DS VC game with haxchi/CBHC would cause problems if you did that.

From what I've been told, games installed to USB show up on the Wii U home, so what would happen if i remove the USB and use the console? (Nothing or possible problems?)

As for installing a permanent launcher via DS VC, I've read that it's safe but I've heard others say there's various ways it could cause a brick, so I'm hoping someone could clarify this.

Last question: If an update for the Wii U did come out, would it be possible to safely play online without updating? If so how?

Last edited by Paula,

T-Law

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've been told, games installed to USB show up on the Wii U home, so what would happen if i remove the USB and use the console? (Nothing or possible problems?)

As for installing a permanent launcher via DS VC, I've read that it's safe but I've heard others say there's various ways it could cause a brick, so I'm hoping someone could clarify this.

Last question: If an update for the Wii U did come out, would it be possible to safely play online without updating? If so how?

1- they will not appear in the menu if you remove the USB
2- installing haxchi (DS CV) is fine, coldboot is fine as well, but what you hear of brick possibilities is all about coldboot (CBHC) not about normal haxchi
3- I don't know. apparently, it's possible to trick Nintendo's servers, but I am not sure about it.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As @T-Law already mostly answered the questions, I can go a little more in depth.
1. T-Law already answered, and there really is no more to say. If you keep it on USB and remove that USB, it just no longer shows up on the home menu, but will come back once plugged in again.
2. Using haxchi is completely safe (using DS VC to launch HBL). It's only CBHC (coldboot) that is a bit iffy. I personally wouldn't bother using it for now as the time savings is minimal, and if you somehow manage to screw up (deleting the DS VC, formatting the console, etc.) you can end up with a brick.
3. Older firmwares had that ability before 5.5.1 became exploitable, but that doesn't mean it will still work on the current firmware. And our current redNAND implementation doesn't even allow you to update redNAND either.

Paula

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for the help, for now I've decided to just keep using the webkit exploit and use the Brazilian method.

I've noticed that I'm having more success with the webkit exploit when launching from a local webserver (it has yet to fail), not sure why, maybe just luck?

Anyway I got everything working now, thanks again. ^_^

Last edited by Paula,
D

Deleted User

I've noticed that I'm having more success with the webkit exploit when launching from a local webserver (it has yet to fail), not sure why, maybe just luck?
The reliability of the exploit depends on whether the payload can be completely downloaded in time before it starts being executed (or something like that).

Paula

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reliability of the exploit depends on whether the payload can be completely downloaded in time before it starts being executed (or something like that).

Ah ok, originally I was using a public link but I decided to download the files and put it on a local server in case the site ever went down, glad I did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas