Hardware Mini ITX Gaming

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh hey look, another PC building thread...

I'm looking at building a mini itx machine for gaming on the big screen (instead of a console). I'm trying to make it as small and cheap as possible while allowing 1080p gaming and emulation. The link to my part list is here, if you have any suggestions let me know. The only thing I'm dead set on is Intel/NVIDIA and a small case (I've also looked at the Silverstone SG08 but it was pretty expensive). I may choose a different motherboard when there is more mini-itx options. I will probably add an SSD later too. I won't be building this right away.... but eventually it will happen.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks beautiful!

The Intel+nVidia combo is a great one if you can stomach the little bit of extra noise versus something like the Arctic MC101.

Since you are going Intel, though, why not push for the i7? It would allow you to run Dolphin without any issues, in turn letting you pump out Wii and Gamecube games to your TV in glorious 1080p. Now THAT would be one hell of a setup.

Also, I would recommend Windows + XBMC as your launcher.

That's just me, though. You might feel otherwise.

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will try for an i7 if I can get my hands on the cash ;)

And yes, I'll be using XBMC + Windows, maybe I'll use a Wii Remote for a mouse, that'd be cool.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the i7 doesn't bring any benefit to dolphin, a faster i5 or an unlocked variant are much more beneficial.
Dolphin community cpu bench: https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=DA2FE7FDA6EB085E!107&app=Excel&authkey=!ALQ0-tZv6Pc_h84

Hm, it would seem so! Good find!

I remember i7 or bust was always the rule of thumb for Dolphin before... maybe that was regarding the mobile chips, though? Who knows. Either way, looks like you may not have to shell out the extra cash after all!

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For mini-ITX, you really have to go with Intel. I have yet to see a quality AM3+ mini-ITX board available.

If you want to save some money, you can pick up 2500K/3570K + Z77 setup used. Brand new wise go with 4670K + Z87.

If you don't overclock no need to get the K-model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Dont forget your meds.