Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

Crimson Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
When this game was first made, it had so much attention from many gaming sites. If you decided to continue it there's no doubt that it'd be a success.
Time and motivation are difficult things to find but hopefully you'll find them both again soon.

sisyphus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone got tips for dealing with the guru errors. I have an extensive castle/catacombs/tower section that I can't get anywhere near without it crashing. I obviously have been able to work on it without such crashes, but recently I've found that getting close (from any direction) just crashes out, making this area a no-go place.

On a related note, does anyone know if I can export this map into the PC version? Thanks.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Has anyone got tips for dealing with the guru errors. I have an extensive castle/catacombs/tower section that I can't get anywhere near without it crashing. I obviously have been able to work on it without such crashes, but recently I've found that getting close (from any direction) just crashes out, making this area a no-go place.
Nope sorry - I THINK there was a post on the internet that explained how to read GURU errors that might help narrow down the problems but I currently can't find it

One thing I had noticed when I played the 'forest adventure' map - it kept crashing due to too many items (I placed a LOT of torches down to show where I had been) on the map.... I'm guessing this could be one of the possible reason for yours

On a related note, does anyone know if I can export this map into the PC version? Thanks.
Nope......
I would guess that If/When some1 either figures out how the 'map' data between DSCraft and Minecraft differs (or if the developer give out that info) a 'converter' could be made that changes DSCraft maps into a schematic & then mcedit could import it into a Minecraft map

sisyphus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One thing I had noticed when I played the 'forest adventure' map - it kept crashing due to too many items (I placed a LOT of torches down to show where I had been) on the map.... I'm guessing this could be one of the possible reason for yours

Thanks. I can't even get close to the area to take out some of the torches. Guess I'll have to stay away from the area until a solution is found.

Luigionos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.letsplay-minecraft.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don´t wonder, smealum makes a break now. I think I know, how much work this is. But i think this isn´t the end of DS-Craft. You´ll see, in a few month you think: "Oh, it´s so boring, let´s go on with ds-craft" (smealum, you can do it :) )

But there are good new, too: I´m working on some new texturepacks for DS-Craft. Do you know "Gronkh"? I tried to make a pixel-version of his Honeyball-Texturepack, but i´ts so difficult. But I´ll tell you, if there are some news.

Luigionos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I need some help again...

I tried to play DS-Craft on the no$gba emulator, but it didn´t work. When I started the game, there was only a little pixel-jam (LOL) on the bottom screen. Both screens were black, what can I do now? :(

p.s. In other game the emulator sayed: The save couldn´t be load/found. Why? I have a .sav.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States

I tried to play DS-Craft on the no$gba emulator, but it didn´t work. When I started the game, there was only a little pixel-jam (LOL) on the bottom screen. Both screens were black, what can I do now? :(

p.s. In other game the emulator sayed: The save couldn´t be load/found. Why? I have a .sav.
Unfortunately, you can't really play DScraft on no$gba. Well, you *can* if you use the right version (nitroFS with an embedded world file), but you won't be able to save, so it's not great. There should be a prepackaged no$gba version floating around, but again you won't be able to save so I'm not sure why you'd want it. You might be able to play normally on DeSmume since I'm pretty sure it supports FAT, but I can't help you there as I've never tried it myself.

sisyphus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Smealum,

What I'd really love is for you to release a script to strip out all torches from a map. I have an area I can't get any where near without it crashing out, and I assume it must be a torch problem. Would be good to test it, by removing all torches in the map. Any chance? Stil loving it...

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey Smealum,

What I'd really love is for you to release a script to strip out all torches from a map. I have an area I can't get any where near without it crashing out, and I assume it must be a torch problem. Would be good to test it, by removing all torches in the map. Any chance? Stil loving it...
Well I can't say for sure that it is in fact the torches but it's worth a shot I guess. So anyway here's a special version of mapUpdate for you : http://smealum.net/dscraft/downloads/mapUpdate_notorch.exe
I haven't tried it but it should work. Input map file should be named testmap.map (either that or you drag over your map file onto the exe file), and a file named outmap.map will be created. Beware though, this can take a while, so give it a few minutes if your world is one of the bigger ones (like 1024x1024). It'd be possible to make a way quicker version quite easily but I don't have much time these days, sorry. I also recommend you backup your map file beforehand, just in case.
Let me know if you encounter any problems, I'll try to look into it !

Reactions: 1 person

sisyphus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I can't say for sure that it is in fact the torches but it's worth a shot I guess.

Holy cr&p. I say it worked. I haven't had access to an area since before xmas. And I've had a fly around it, no problems. As a scientist I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was a torch problem. I'm going to be very sparing with torches from now on and see how I get on. Yeah!! Thanks Smealum.

On a slightly different note (risking being cheeky) is there any way to increase my map size from 512x512 to 1024x1024?

*Update: No crashes in an hour. That is a record. Pretty, pretty good!

Luigionos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The great history of DS-Craft...

thank you smealum for answer :)

I have to tell you a little story...

it begann yesterday evening. I was chating with some of my friends from school. I telled them about DS-Craft. They asked: "Were do you get this game?" I gave them the Link and they downloaded DS-Craft. An hour later there was the first answer from one of my frineds: "Oh, Luigionos (I doesn´t want to tell my real name ;) ), DS-Craft is so a great game, it´s better than Minecraft-Pocket Edition. I like it so much I telled it MY friends, too!" When I came to school today, everbody was talking about DS-Craft. The half school has this game, now. A lot of pupil asked for this creepers on a screenshot. I telled them, they´ll come with a survival-mode. But I didn´t tell them this blog here, because there would be a big wave of messages: "PLEASE MAKE THE SURVIVAL MODE!!!" :D . So DS-Craft is popular on our German school, too!

I don´t want to force you, that you make a survival version... But maybe it´s a little motivation for you to go on with DS-Craft. But... you needn´t to do it. I can understand you very well... I hope, it was a little motivation for you. :lol:

Luigionos

p.s.: I LOVE DS-Craft :yaynds:

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
What about Creative Mode
Erm - DSCraft has ONLY creative mode anyway...
are you sure you asking for the right 'mode' ?

Creative - you have infinite number of blocks/items, that you can placed anywhere to build stuff
Survival - This is where you have to 'survive', craft tools/weapons ... kill MOB's, dig for ores/diamonds etc

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I can't say for sure that it is in fact the torches but it's worth a shot I guess.

Holy cr&p. I say it worked. I haven't had access to an area since before xmas. And I've had a fly around it, no problems. As a scientist I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was a torch problem. I'm going to be very sparing with torches from now on and see how I get on. Yeah!! Thanks Smealum.

On a slightly different note (risking being cheeky) is there any way to increase my map size from 512x512 to 1024x1024?

*Update: No crashes in an hour. That is a record. Pretty, pretty good!
Glad to hear it works. :) I'll have to look into that torch problem if I ever get around to updating DScraft. I'm actually surprised you kept playing, if a game crashed over once an hour I'd probably just stop playing.
As for making a 512x512 world into a 1024x1024 one, it is possible but there would be problems. Basically, there would be a very noticeable border between the old and new parts of the world, and it wouldn't look very nice at all (I can't really make a new terrain that matches the old one unfortunately).
The great history of DS-Craft...

thank you smealum for answer :)

I have to tell you a little story...

it begann yesterday evening. I was chating with some of my friends from school. I telld them about DS-Craft. They asked: "Were do you get this game?" I gav them the Link and they downloaded DS-Craft. An hour later there was the first answer from one of my frineds: "Oh, Luigionos (I doesn´t want to tell my real name ;) ), DS-Craft is so a great game, it´s better than Minecraft-Pocket Edition. I like it so much I telled it MY friends, too!" When I came to school today, everbody was talking about DS-Craft. The half school has this game, now. A lot of pupil asked for this creepers on a screenshot. I telled them, they´ll come with a survival-mode. But I didn´t tell them this bog here, because there would be a big wave of messages: "PLEASE MAKE THE SURVIVAL MODE!!!" :D . So DS-Craft is popular on our German school, too!

I don´t want to force you, that you make a survival version... But maybe it´s a little motivation for you to go on with DS-Craft. But... you needn´t to do it. I can understand you very well... I hope, it was a little motivation for you. :lol:

Luigionos

p.s.: I LOVE DS-Craft :yaynds:
I'm happy you all like it. :) Unfortunately the likelyhood of me getting back to work on DScraft any time soon is rather low. I promise I'll try, but that doesn't mean much. :/

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

There is a special No$GBA version of the game, too (without saving).You can find it at the first post in this threat.

sisyphus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Glad to hear it works. :) I'll have to look into that torch problem if I ever get around to updating DScraft. I'm actually surprised you kept playing, if a game crashed over once an hour I'd probably just stop playing.

As for making a 512x512 world into a 1024x1024 one, it is possible but there would be problems. Basically, there would be a very noticeable border between the old and new parts of the world, and it wouldn't look very nice at all (I can't really make a new terrain that matches the old one unfortunately).

Hey Smealum. I kept playing because I love minecraft and once I've started on my map I don't want to just give it up. It's pretty epic with several castles etc. I really wouldn't mind a noticeable border, because it would just give me something to do (ie clean up the border to make it look right). The only other solution would enable me to take my map to the PC version?

Anyway, I'm happy for now that removing the torches fixed my main problem. I'm not running out of room just yet (just).

Peace out and take care.

Luigionos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you. But i´ve some questions. There were some test with creepers, right? (i´ve a lot of screenshots with creepers from DS-Craft, nut i don´t know how to put pictures in the post)
So, here the questions:

-Can the test creeper explode?
-How does he move (attac Player, or only walking around?)

Thank you for answers :)

Luigionos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, now i know how to put pictures in my post. Here are the creeper pictures. The first picture was the first test, eh? Because the trees are looking so easy, and you use the MInecraft default texturepack. And there are this numbers in bottom screen... The creepers are sooooo nice. I wished i could programm so like you, smealum... ;)
creepy2.png
new.png
creepz.png

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. But i´ve some questions. There were some test with creepers, right? (i´ve a lot of screenshots with creepers from DS-Craft, nut i don´t know how to put pictures in the post)
So, here the questions:

-Can the test creeper explode?
-How does he move (attac Player, or only walking around?)

Thank you for answers :)
So, now i know how to put pictures in my post. Here are the creeper pictures. The first picture was the first test, eh? Because the trees are looking so easy, and you use the MInecraft default texturepack. And there are this numbers in bottom screen... The creepers are sooooo nice. I wished i could programm so like you, smealum... ;)
creepy2.png
new.png
creepz.png
You're right, that first screenshot is from a really old version and was just a basic test. The latter ones are from a later test for a potential survival mode version. I "scrapped" it (I actually just deactivated the code, but still in there somewhere) because I figured the basic engine (read: creative mode) should be more polished and functional before moving on to more complicated things. As sisyphus has proven there are still very annoying problems with DScraft, so it would have been a bad move to start work on survival immediately. And then I just stopped working on the game so obviously nothing moved forward after that.
And to answer your questions : the creepers had two "modes", one in which they moved torwards the player and one in which they ran around randomly. None of it was very good though, all very basic; no pathfinding for instance (though they were able to jump over obstacles), it was all just a test to figure out how badly performance might be affected by their presence. And no, they didn't explode, although if ofnly one of them were to explode at a time, then it would be pretty trivial to implement.

Hey Smealum. I kept playing because I love minecraft and once I've started on my map I don't want to just give it up. It's pretty epic with several castles etc. I really wouldn't mind a noticeable border, because it would just give me something to do (ie clean up the border to make it look right). The only other solution would enable me to take my map to the PC version?

Anyway, I'm happy for now that removing the torches fixed my main problem. I'm not running out of room just yet (just).

Peace out and take care.
Alright well I'll try to come with something up soon. It really shouldn't be long I just need to set aside thirty minutes some time to get it done. No DScraft to minecraft converter though, as I'm really not willing to look into the minecraft file format again, sorry.

Luigionos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IF you go on with DS-Craft (I think this won´t happen so far ;) ), will you add new biomes (desert, snow, ocean, plains ect)? I saw this picture with a dessert (and the creeper on the right LOL). Is this in the background a desert or only a beach?

door.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: On a bad day you hear I missed my period +2