Microsoft reportedly developing a Minecraft real-time strategy game

apps.2678.14513124030084310.ec67955a-94fe-46fe-943b-1c6afb546be2.4e30ef5c-a49b-4b04-867c-a9539...jpg

It looks like Microsoft may be expanding the Minecraft IP to make a real-time strategy game. Giant Bomb co-founder Jeff Gerstmann said on a recent Twitch stream that he had seen screenshots of a "Minecraft spin-off in the works" and claims that "it seems like it's a real-time strategy game, an RTS of sorts." The game will apparently let players control "Steve-esque units" from a third-person perspective and will likely have some kind of story and cutscenes, though Gerstmann says they are largely unfinished right now and has nothing to report on that front. He also added that "it's far enough along that perhaps it's something that Microsoft will be announcing sometime over the next week or so here," but that he didn't have specific knowledge of what Microsoft's plans were for the announcement.

Back in September, a Windows Central writer teased that he had insider information that Mojang was producing two all-new projects in development that weren't Minecraft or Minecraft Dungeons, though he did tease that these projects would be using the Minecraft brand by saying "More MInecraft is coming."

This wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has tried using Minecraft to experiment in different genres. 2020 saw the release of Minecraft Dungeons, a dungeon-crawler that reviewed decently well with a 70 on Metacritic. Interestingly, that game's co-developer (alongside Mojang) is Double Eleven, which recently posted four job listings hiring for an RTS being developed for a major IP.

Notably, this isn't the first time the idea of a MInecraft RTS has been kicked around. In 2019, a 3D artist for Mojang Tweeted out some video he took of a Minecraft RTS he developed as part of his job application to Mojang. He has worked at Mojang since then and it's possible the small demo he made to show off his skills has been expanded into a larger title.

ps3king1336

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we can build our own buildings by blocks, make our units to look like any soldiers or creatures and, combined them into anything like Lord of the Rings I'm for it!

Reactions: yoyoyo69
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
If we can build our own buildings by blocks, make our units to look like any soldiers or creatures and, combined them into anything like Lord of the Rings I'm for it!
My initial first was this is a stupid idea but after reading this it does sound like it could be interesting if each mob type from Minecraft was its own infantry type. Each mob type is unique enough to make it interesting.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still dont get why they keep trying to make these minecraft-related spinoffs when time and time again they just end up being boring. When you put everything that composes Minecraft outside of the original context of Minecraft the majority of the characters and mobs end up being the most bland, boring stuff imaginable. Minecraft's iconic look and blocky characters are all a limitation of the art when notch was making a block-based engine.

Even if they did try a different artstyle it would quickly become apparent that minecraft literally has nothing to offer other than the hollow skin to plop atop an already existing game

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bethesda has all these cool Ips but use only a couple. Off the top of my head, Doom would be a cool game to base an rts on

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I wish they would let Rare make some platforming games that show off the power of the XSX. Rare has to have some secret projects going on, there has to be even just a little Rare DNA left.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would let Rare make some platforming games that show off the power of the XSX. Rare has to have some secret projects going on, there has to be even just a little Rare DNA left.
good luck with that, all of the actually good rareware devs jumped ship after nuts and bolts. rareware is basically what bungie is, which is a studio which no longer has the devs that made them good in the first place.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
good luck with that, all of the actually good rareware devs jumped ship after nuts and bolts. rareware is basically what bungie is, which is a studio which no longer has the devs that made them good in the first place.
Yep. Most of Rare's talented staff are at Playtonic Games now.

Reactions: Willgheminass

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually we're gonna get a Minecraft Warriors game where you get blocks from defeating enemies and can use them to build structures to keep enemies away from your strongholds. Or, more realistically, it'll just be a normal Warriors game but with Minecraft characters.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Minecraft is something I am only peripherally aware of (made servers for some people and often get to install it + mods whenever a client's kid's computer is redone) but I don't see the line to RTS from the base game. Dungeons (mining literally in the name), story... makes sense. RTS is harder, especially if they are going to have to try to smoosh it across the various platforms Minecraft is most associated with (reminded of the Halo RTS at this point, though that at least had the basis for set piece battles with a lot of units).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Minecraft is something I am only peripherally aware of (made servers for some people and often get to install it + mods whenever a client's kid's computer is redone) but I don't see the line to RTS from the base game. Dungeons (mining literally in the name), story... makes sense. RTS is harder, especially if they are going to have to try to smoosh it across the various platforms Minecraft is most associated with (reminded of the Halo RTS at this point, though that at least had the basis for set piece battles with a lot of units).
Minecraft does have the mechanic where villager towns can get raided by evil villagers and you have to defend against a bunch of waves, maybe that's where some of the inspiration came from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards