Microsoft introduces Xbox Game Pass

Xbox-Game-Pass_Hero-hero.jpg

Microsoft is following in the footsteps of other subscription-based video game services, and will soon be offering a monthly subscription service that will give users access to a selection of titles for the Xbox One and Xbox 360. For $9.99 a month, subscribers can play from a catalog of 100 games, some of which will include Halo 5, Payday 2, Mad Max, Gears of War, and SoulCalibur II. This will not be a streaming service, and will instead allow you to download the titles and play them directly on your console. Some of the 100 games will shuffle in and out each month, meaning there will always be a new selection of games to choose from. The service is set to launch this Spring. If you are part of the Xbox Insider Program, some select users have been chosen to test this feature today, February 28, 2017. Xbox Live Gold Members will also get early access to the program, closer to when it officially launches.

WhatsApp Image 2017-02-28 at 15.37.57.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-02-28 at 15.38.09.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-02-28 at 15.38.27.jpeg

At Xbox, we put gamers at the center of everything we do and remain committed to giving you the freedom to play the games you want, with the friends you want, on the devices you want. This year is shaping up to be an exciting one for gamers. As we prepare to launch Project Scorpio this holiday, bringing the most powerful console ever made to the Xbox One family of devices, we continue to make platform improvements to connect the growing community of players on Xbox Live and add to a robust and diverse portfolio of games across Xbox One and Windows 10.

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give you more options to diversify and expand your library of games with Xbox Game Pass, a new gaming subscription service coming later this spring. Xbox Game Pass gives you unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward compatible Xbox 360 games – all for $9.99 per month.

With great games from top industry publishers such as 2K, 505 Games, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, Capcom, Codemasters, Deep Silver, Focus Home Interactive, SEGA, SNK CORPORATION, THQ Nordic GmbH, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios, there’s something for everyone to enjoy and you will always find something exciting to play across a variety of genres. Some of the fan-favorite titles coming to Xbox Game Pass when it launches to the broader Xbox community later this spring include Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and SoulCalibur II.

One of the best things about Xbox Game Pass is that you can discover and download the full titles directly on your Xbox One. That means continuous, full-fidelity gameplay without having to worry about streaming, bandwidth or connectivity issues. In addition, all Xbox One games in the catalog – and related add-ons – will be available to purchase at an exclusive discount for Xbox Game Pass members, so you can make the games you love part of your permanent library to play whenever you want. Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly-updating library of games. Xbox Game Pass is your ticket to endless play.

It’s important to us that Xbox Game Pass provides an enjoyable and seamless experience. Before the program rolls out to the broader community later this spring, we’ll be testing Xbox Game Pass with select members of the Xbox Insider Program in the Alpha Preview ring starting today with a very limited number of titles. The titles that are available in Preview are just a small glimpse at the expansive catalog of games that will be available when Xbox Game Pass launches this spring. Xbox Live Gold members will also be receiving exclusive access to Xbox Game Pass prior to the program launching to the broader community. We’ll have more details on timing closer to launch.

We hope you enjoy Xbox Game Pass and all that it has to offer. We’re looking forward to hearing the feedback from the gamers in the Xbox Insider Program and then from the rest of the Xbox community when it’s broadly available later this spring. Your feedback will make this program better for all gamers.

:arrow: Source

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Everyone on GBAtemp right now: I HATE HAVING THE OPTION TO PAY FOR THINGS! THEY ARE MAKING ME PAY TO PLAY ONLINE AND DON'T EVEN GIVE ME AAA TITLES EVERY SINGLE MONTH FOR IT AND NOW THEY ARE GIVING US AN OPTION TO PAY EVEN MORE $$$ TO PLAY EVEN MORE GAMES!?!?!?!

HOW ABOUT MICRO$OFT STOP BEING SO ANTI-CONSUMER AND JUST MAKE THEIR GAMES FREE LIKE NINTENDO DOES WHEN I PIRATE THEIR STUFF!?!

Reactions: QCLasky and netovsk

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What if other than those few games like mad Max and stuff the rest were crap

I disagree, right from the post I see a lot of games I already bought or were about to, if not all.

Fable series, gears of war series, 2K sports titles, Rare titles, Sunset Overdrive, lots of good stuff but hey maybe none of these titles suit your taste.

Reactions: QCLasky

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone on GBAtemp right now: I HATE HAVING THE OPTION TO PAY FOR THINGS! THEY ARE MAKING ME PAY TO PLAY ONLINE AND DON'T EVEN GIVE ME AAA TITLES EVERY SINGLE MONTH FOR IT AND NOW THEY ARE GIVING US AN OPTION TO PAY EVEN MORE $$$ TO PLAY EVEN MORE GAMES!?!?!?!

HOW ABOUT MICRO$OFT STOP BEING SO ANTI-CONSUMER AND JUST MAKE THEIR GAMES FREE LIKE NINTENDO DOES WHEN I PIRATE THEIR STUFF!?!
The struggle is real

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would be more interested in this if there was an Xbox live gold bundle, because having both services for a year totals to a whopping $180. Per year. No thanks, microsoft.

D

Deleted User

You don't need Gold, guys. Please read.
This sounds like a great value if you ask me. $10 a month and it gets you what seems to be mostly worthwhile games? Count me in.

D

Deleted User

Reminds me of the Sega Channel.

Anyways, while I can definitely see this being nice for some, I won't personally be getting it, probably because I'm more into Nintendo than Xbox, but also because I like owning my games, and wouldn't be comfortable knowing my access to them is reliant on an online service.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
At 9,99 a month this will deal a serious blow to the pre-owned games market. There's loads of players who pick games up, speedrun them and trade them towards new titles as quickly as possible - those gamers are likely to just pick up a pass and not have to hurry before the value of their games plummets. I'm kind of struggling to understand how they're planning to make any money on an infrastructure like that, unless the programme will only feature oldies that wouldn't cost much beyond the 9,99 mark anyways, in which case I can see some potential for profit that would've otherwise been swiped by the used games market.

Last edited by Foxi4,

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man, looking back, Sega was so ahead of their time. This is exactly what Sega Channel for the Genesis was. 20 years ago. I miss me some Sega Channel.

Plus their Game Gear with it's back lit screen, 15 years before the Gameboy finally introduced that feature.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Man, looking back, Sega was so ahead of their time. This is exactly what Sega Channel for the Genesis was. 20 years ago. I miss me some Sega Channel.

Plus their Game Gear with it's back lit screen, 15 years before the Gameboy finally introduced that feature.
SEGA was always on the cutting edge, which sometimes worked to the detriment of their systems, unfortunately. A colour screen with a backlight is great, but a handheld the size of a small elephant that chews through batteries like a beaver chews through logs is a bit unfit for purpose. Gotta love their stuff though, iconic systems from a different era.

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

If Xbox 360 wouldn't success so much, we wouldn't have had to pay Til this day for online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1