Microsoft helping Geohot in his legal battle against Sony?

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is this even in the News section? Who actually read the source?

The article is pure speculation, relies on an anonymous, unnamed source "close to the matter", and pulls on a Twitter quote that a Win7Phone dev gave about inviting Geohot to "build cool stuff".

Seriously, if you truly believe this article, you need to learn what a credible source is.

Fucking hilarious.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If true then, good show MS.
slow%20clap.gif

~De arimasu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XXLANCEXX said:
gokujr1000 said:
This could be a very smart move on MS's part. Taking down Sony would really only leave Nintendo to be a competitor.
I dont think Microsoft's thinking that Nintendo's a big threat
and its Sony replace the O with i and take out the Y and you have SIN
ok back on topic
Take the M, c, r, o, o and f from Microsoft. Put a t in the front and shift the s to the right and you've got Tits!

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Gnargle said:
Canonbeat234 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Criminal? Lol, okay talk to me when you grow up and actually understand the case.

This post have nothing to relate about of what I was typing about. Please refrain from posting to me unless it make sense. Telling me to grow up is an understatement, I'm not living inside my parents house. You are on the other hand I can't assume. The case is about a hacker named Geohot who was warned by Sony before hand to stop hacking on their console, Geohot wanted to challenge Sony and continue on hacking for the lulz. Sony got upset, got their lawyers and did some paperwork. Next moment, Geohot is getting sued. Geohot went further due him failing to realize what a company can do. He post his work all over the internet out of a tantrum. So basically is a case between a baby vs a company. Yeah well put, a Gamer vs a COMPANY!!
Right.
You know Geohot jailbreaks the iPhone too? He's never been taken to court by Apple, because they know they have no case. This is more of a case of Sony's naïvety, trying to control the damage. He wasn't the one who discovered the private keys, but because Geohot is the most prominent (and infamous) of the PS3 hackers, they're going after him.
What the other guy said was right - you don't understand the case. Therefore, you have no reason to comment.
Geohot's never been taken to court by apple because there has already been a court case about iPhone jailbreaking that apple lost. Thus making iPhone jailbreaking completely legal

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
alidsl said:
Gnargle said:
Canonbeat234 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Criminal? Lol, okay talk to me when you grow up and actually understand the case.

This post have nothing to relate about of what I was typing about. Please refrain from posting to me unless it make sense. Telling me to grow up is an understatement, I'm not living inside my parents house. You are on the other hand I can't assume. The case is about a hacker named Geohot who was warned by Sony before hand to stop hacking on their console, Geohot wanted to challenge Sony and continue on hacking for the lulz. Sony got upset, got their lawyers and did some paperwork. Next moment, Geohot is getting sued. Geohot went further due him failing to realize what a company can do. He post his work all over the internet out of a tantrum. So basically is a case between a baby vs a company. Yeah well put, a Gamer vs a COMPANY!!
Right.
You know Geohot jailbreaks the iPhone too? He's never been taken to court by Apple, because they know they have no case. This is more of a case of Sony's naïvety, trying to control the damage. He wasn't the one who discovered the private keys, but because Geohot is the most prominent (and infamous) of the PS3 hackers, they're going after him.
What the other guy said was right - you don't understand the case. Therefore, you have no reason to comment.
Geohot's never been taken to court by apple because there has already been a court case about iPhone jailbreaking that apple lost. Thus making iPhone jailbreaking completely legal
After he jailbroke it on 3.0. And 3.1.
Then someone took Apple to court for voiding his warranty after he jailbroke his iPhone. They didn't take anyone to court.
That's what got the law changed.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Vashyron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not so sure why one of the more "popular" Playstation scene sites would risk to claim themselves that they talked to Geohot without it being really what he said. (Whether Geohot lied or not.)

If Geohot in the future then says he did accept donations from Microsoft the site would seem like a massive liar.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do we really know what Sony is suing Geohot and Fail0verFlow for?

First, I read it was the fact that they found the commonkey that can make any piece of data for the PS3 official, and posted it on the internet.

What is the current reason for suing them?

Not flaming Sony or trying to enrage the fanboys, I'm just trying to get the story as straight as possible for the sake of sanity.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
jonesman99 said:

First, I read it was the fact that they found the commonkey that can make any piece of data for the PS3 official, and posted it on the internet.

Not flaming Sony or trying to enrage the fanboys, I'm just trying to get the story as straight as possible for the sake of sanity.
Isn't it possible for Sony to sue for many things?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jonesman99 said:

No it's still the same. Only thing is Sony is bending the truth, saying GeoHot used the PSN servers to do it, and he wanted money for it (which, donations is totally different).

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
No it's still the same. Only thing is Sony is bending the truth, saying GeoHot used the PSN servers to do it, and he wanted money for it (which, donations is totally different).

Actually, you're wrong there. If you recall, Geohot leaked Sony's key and then posted on his own website that "if you want a more secure console, get in touch with me". That could actually be construed as blackmail or an ultimatum - "pay me to stop spreading this information, or I'll make things even worse for you".

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah but that's a gray area. I, along with many others, looked and understood it as:

"If you don't want someone else doing worse to you, you can hire me". Like, he was offering his services. Not blackmail. So it all depends on who was reading it.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Yeah but that's a gray area. I, along with many others, looked and understood it as:

"If you don't want someone else doing worse to you, you can hire me". Like, he was offering his services. Not blackmail. So it all depends on who was reading it.

Oh, I know that. That's why I think Geohot was clever. It can be read as blackmail but, since its up for interpretation, Sony can't use it in the case or anything.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Probably isn't true, as psx-scene said... However if they did donate, it wouldn't be to "get sony out of the competition" or anything... It's more likely to help him win his case to continue hacking, leading to the coders getting to know the workarounds, leading to them fixing the holes...

Probably why he got a WP7, "Hack it, tell us, we'll fix it".

(And yes, that's how many (if not all) bank sites work! Let hackers try to hack it under supervision and patch it up so what they find is removed)

Edit: While I was typing the above, posts were made about this, with that quote! if the next should be secure get in touch, that's how it often works, and if sony thinks "hey let's get him in jail instead" they're stupid... They could've gained a lot from this guy instead.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
purplesludge said:
I'm pretty sure the proper quote is "If you want your next console to be secure then get in touch".

Wintrale said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Feb 27 2011, 11:41 PM) Yeah but that's a gray area. I, along with many others, looked and understood it as:

Oh, I know that. That's why I think Geohot was clever. It can be read as blackmail but, since its up for interpretation, Sony can't use it in the case or anything.

Even then. He's what, 21 years old? It wouldn't sound if he's blackmailing. The guy has been offered TONS of jobs and has won a lot of awards for his brains, what does he have to gain from blackmailing you know?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag