ROM Hack [MH4U/MHX] ROM Hacking Guide

Xane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey dasding!

I'm interested in fixing the MCA file headers (MH4U/MHX) in order to make them playable with vgmstream and I noticed that the mca2wav tool inside your package is able to read the MCAs just fine. I am curious if you were willing to share the source of the mca2wav tool so I can rewrite it into a tool that fixes mca files?

Thank you in advance!

~Xane

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
what is with the 3d stuff? any chance to get them as fbx?
i might look into it when i have time

Hey dasding!

I'm interested in fixing the MCA file headers (MH4U/MHX) in order to make them playable with vgmstream and I noticed that the mca2wav tool inside your package is able to read the MCAs just fine. I am curious if you were willing to share the source of the mca2wav tool so I can rewrite it into a tool that fixes mca files?

Thank you in advance!

~Xane
https://github.com/mhdasding/mca2wav

Reactions: I pwned U!

SAIVEN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to this, I can create monster hunter patch for my language.

What is the difference between X and 4U?

after i finish this patch, I also want to make Monster Hunter 3U patch.

I wonder if i extract file using this tool.

SAIVEN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently looking at the extract file for MH3U. I tried to rebuild the format of the tex files into png and import it into tex.
dddl_00000.jpg

The game seemed to have texture breakdown and is making the skyblue dots as the image I included.

This happens when I extract the original file and import it back into the game without any adjustments.

I think this is a problem that occurs during the rebuilding process, and I was wondering if there is going to be an updated version of the tool that is going to help me fix this issue.

PS. The tex format was 12, I will also include the tex file for reference.

https://mega.nz/#!bl4xRBhS!AklJiJ1-fpguqwN8_CXctr06LrNBZ2k2pfHdNV8qvT8

Last edited by SAIVEN,

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
I'm currently looking at the extract file for MH3U. I tried to rebuild the format of the tex files into png and import it into tex.
View attachment 66145
The game seemed to have texture breakdown and is making the skyblue dots as the image I included.

This happens when I extract the original file and import it back into the game without any adjustments.

I think this is a problem that occurs during the rebuilding process, and I was wondering if there is going to be an updated version of the tool that is going to help me fix this issue.

PS. The tex format was 12, I will also include the tex file for reference.

https://mega.nz/#!bl4xRBhS!AklJiJ1-fpguqwN8_CXctr06LrNBZ2k2pfHdNV8qvT8
try to use the textool with the -ra argument, this forces the script to create an uncompressed RGBA texture without compression artifacts ;)

SAIVEN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
try to use the textool with the -ra argument, this forces the script to create an uncompressed RGBA texture without compression artifacts ;)
kkkkk.jpg

Thank you so much.
I fill in the instructions as you said, and the image is perfect.

jhhk_00000.jpg

Another problem arises.
The resolution of the images on the start screen has drastically decreased.
This problem occurs without modifying the image.
I think it's a problem when extracting and repacking arc files.

I'm sorry, but I've modified arc.py file that you uploaded.
Instead of using the MH4U version(17), which is not used, the MH3U version(16) has been replaced.

I thought it was extracting and importing data well until I stumbled upon a problem.
Can you give me someAssistance?

fff.jpg

I've tried extracting data and importing it without any modifications and the file size changed,

so Im assuming that there is a problem during the process.

If you have any clue on why this might happen please let me know.

I will attatch the extracted file just in case
https://mega.nz/#!K9RzlJJA!ZmMrd0xOzhr1TuvWcrxDRplbXtlhuF5przrhkB_S-ko

I'll wait for your answer.

Last edited by SAIVEN,

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wish we saw some more texture changes or just modifications in general that aren't just translation based.

For fun I took the Velocidrome texture from Stories and threw it in Generations, doesn't quite line up exactly to the model, Stories textures are half the size and it doesn't quite have the same appeal in the Generations engine but was a fun experiment.

h4VNGkF.png
sdYShja.png
qqw9SOS.png

Naails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I need some help with your tools, but it's a bit difficult to explain. We are using them in a Fan-Translation Project of Ace Attorney: Sprit of Justice, and the sound files are the same (.mca and .mad), but the problem is that when we test the new sound file ingame, it starts to loop. If you could help us, send me a PM since I can't do it (I think it's because I'm new here, but I don't know since I'm new here XD). Thanks for your attention :D

Yanda

Trophies
XP
Country
I want to get any text data from MHX.
Quest explanation, Weapon name, Conversation of the characters, and more.
Does someone know the tool or idea that can help me?

neoage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small question: Would it be possible to inject armors into MH4U/GEN, like say, the Attack on Titan armor and weapons from MH3?

brayan54

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi dasding
When i drag and drop a "wav" file to "3_wav2mca_mhx" the comandbox disappears to fast and dont convert it to a "mca" file.
I extract "bcstm" files from Fire Emblem Fates and converted to "wav" using tool "BCSTM to Wav Converter GUI".
Only can take a screenshot of the comandbox and tried to write the comandline "wav2mca", doesnt work.
Any help?

Fixed: I feel so dumb, tools have to be placed on desktop, thanks anyway :)

Attachments

• Sin título.png
    Sin título.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 401
Last edited by brayan54,

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
Hi dasding
When i drag and drop a "wav" file to "3_wav2mca_mhx" the comandbox disappears to fast and dont convert it to a "mca" file.
I extract "bcstm" files from Fire Emblem Fates and converted to "wav" using tool "BCSTM to Wav Converter GUI".
Only can take a screenshot of the comandbox and tried to write the comandline "wav2mca", doesnt work.
Any help?

Fixed: I feel so dumb, tools have to be placed on desktop, thanks anyway :)

Glad you got it working. The problem is probably related to spaces in the path <.<

Ningyoplug

Trophies
Website
ningyo.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Italy
I was wondering: people with an o3ds can't use the layeredFS method, right? Or HANS?
So we should always use the update CIA method?

Btw, braindump freezes with a red bottom screen when I try to dump MHGEN data..
EDIT: nvm i just needed to update my HB Launcher
EDIT2: gave me an error towards the end. guess i'll dump the romfs from a .cia....

Last edited by Ningyoplug,

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
yeah people with o3ds are limited to cia methods, maybe when luma3ds adds romfs redirection it will work with o3ds but for now i guess cia method is the way to go.

I recall HANs getting an update recently maybe it supports more games now?

Last edited by dasding,
Reactions: Ningyoplug

Ningyoplug

Trophies
Website
ningyo.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Italy
yeah people with o3ds are limited to cia methods, maybe when luma3ds adds romfs redirection it will work with o3ds but for now i guess cia method is the way to go.
Alright. I have a question though: i have a digital copy of MHGen installed on my 3ds. If i edit some textures and stuff and then repack everything in a .cia, and then install that .cia on my 3ds, will it take lots of time like the first time i installed the game (so like an hour or so?) or will it take less time, since the game is already installed? it would be boring to wait an hour for the game .cia to install everytime i want to edit something...

Pol74698

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know how to PM anyone. But aside from that, can we get the fixed DD mca converter link?

Quoting @Benuno here (from the SoJ thread):
@mister_gamer about the .mca problem: @dasding was so nice to adjust his .mca converter for dual destinies. Maybe it also works for you with Spirits of Justice and fixes the problem :). Please PM me for the link ( I'm a bit busy atm).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch