MGS V for PC comes with empty DVD disc

If you bought the newest iteration of the Metal Gear Solid series to play on your computer, you might have been surprised to notice that the DVD disc that was in the box did not actually contain any game files. All it contains is an installation binary for Steam, allowing you to download the game in full from the Internet (~30 GB).

12638-metal-gear-solid-v.png

What do you think about this? Should the game have been sold as Blu-ray? Or perhaps multiple DVDs?

:arrow: Source

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
might as well just get the ps4 version
HBAO+ on Nvidia GPUs says no.

Anyways, wasn't it known way before that the game is Steam only and the physical version would get the key for the game on disc or some sort?
Ohh and the game has Denuvo protection, meaning it was never supposed to be DRM Free.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Subtle Demise

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still kills the purpose if you gotta download 30 GB. And MGSV is 20 gigs so its less than the... "update" for Batman.
I think you're missing the point. You stated that the game couldn't be packaged on the disc because it used Denuvo, yet Batman: Arkham Knight did just that.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think you're missing the point. You stated that the game couldn't be packaged on the disc because it used Denuvo, yet Batman: Arkham Knight did just that.
People still couldn't play the game, its useless if you gotta download additional stuff.
And that still doesn't mean that that Denuvo was on the discs, no? This is starting to be an useless discussion too. If there's a game that uses Dunevo and that has an physical PC release with all of the game files on the disc then i'll say that i was wrong.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They should at least have included the Steam game files on the disc although that would have required them to use multiple DVDs. Just so people won't have to download the entire game but only the latest update, since it kind of ruins the point of buying a physical game.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How would people not notice?

because the last time I saw a PC gaming section in a physical store, there was more dust than game. That was about a year ago. Don't think i've seen one since.

If I ever bought a physical copy of a PC game, it'd be for my shelf and i'd be downloading the game like the rest of the world.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because the last time I saw a PC gaming section in a physical store, there was more dust than game. That was about a year ago. Don't think i've seen one since.

If I ever bought a physical copy of a PC game, it'd be for my shelf and i'd be downloading the game like the rest of the world.
Well many people buy retail because of slow internet connections. Especially with how bad Internet is in some parts of the world, including the US.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well many people buy retail because of slow internet connections. Especially with how bad Internet is in some parts of the world, including the US.

I think 'many' is a gross exaggeration. Internet speeds are shittier here than the US as far as i've seen, and even with my shitty internet I get by just fine downloading ridiculously sized games.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing this kind of thing kind of makes us wonder why there's even a retail version at all. There's no real benefits. There is one definite downside though: no refunds through Steam.
At least, they could just made an empty bluray + download code package, so we could backup the game once it is downloaded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: