Konami is bringing back the Metal Gear games it delisted

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 2.39.50 AM.png

In a move that some may find surprising, Konami is bringing back some Metal Gear Solid games to digital platforms, after having delisted them late last year. Back in November, all releases that contained Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 were suddenly removed from sale on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo's 3DS eShop and GOG's storefronts. The reasoning for the removal was that Konami had decided not to renew the licensed war footage used in both games, and no word was given as to if either would be relisted again.

The news of Metal Gear games resuming sale on digital platforms was announced on the official Metal Gear JP Twitter account, and is happening as a celebration of the series' 35th anniversary--which is today, as the original Metal Gear game released on July 13, 1987. It wasn't specified which of the games will be coming back, as a fair few versions were delisted, including the Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, and PS3 HD Collection, GOG's PC release of Metal Gear Solid 2, and the 3DS release of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I’d be down for a new HD collection, to be perfectly honest. Take all of the best versions of each MG/MGS game, bump the internal resolution a little bit, make a compilation and throw it on the storefronts as a convenient all-in-one pack. I’d grab that, for sure, if the price is reasonable. Re-listing PSVita and PS3 releases is silly since few people use those systems actively, a 360 release makes more sense as long as it’s added to the 360 BC catalogue, but I’d still prefer a new, native release.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
PLEASE Konami bring back Metal Gear Rising Revengeance 2!

The game was published by Konami and developed by the same guys who made Devil May Cry 1. That's my favorite in the series.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PLEASE Konami bring back Metal Gear Rising Revengeance 2!

The game was published by Konami and developed by the same guys who made Devil May Cry 1. That's my favorite in the series.
The game is good but if it's your favorite in the series you're missing out a lot

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
I’d be down for a new HD collection, to be perfectly honest. Take all of the best versions of each MG/MGS game, bump the internal resolution a little bit, make a compilation and throw it on the storefronts as a convenient all-in-one pack. I’d grab that, for sure, if the price is reasonable. Re-listing PSVita and PS3 releases is silly since few people use those systems actively, a 360 release makes more sense as long as it’s added to the 360 BC catalogue, but I’d still prefer a new, native release.
While I agree with the fact that very few people are using PS3 and Vita these days, I disagree with the part that it's being silly, because we, who still use the PS3 and Vita actively for finishing backlogs, trophy hunting etc. appreciate this move because not everywhere is easy to get a hold of a physical release and the few places we have sell it with a very high price, so it's a win-win situation, because they get money from it and we can buy the games. And it didn't cost them anything for listing it in the storefronts anyway. :)

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Konami should offer Kojima 10 million dollars to be creative consultant on the next game in the series, with complete creative control. Or let Kojima's new company develop the game for Konami.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I went to buy the updated GOG versions of MGS 1 and 2 (because damn, the PC version of 2 is gorgeous with the particle effects and high frame rate), and found they were removed. I ended up finding pirated copies but they weren't the updated ones afaik. So I'm grateful that the GOG versions are most likely coming back.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah I went to buy the updated GOG versions of MGS 1 and 2 (because damn, the PC version of 2 is gorgeous with the particle effects and high frame rate), and found they were removed. I ended up finding pirated copies but they weren't the updated ones afaik. So I'm grateful that the GOG versions are most likely coming back.
mgs 1 was never removed and is still available, only mgs2 was removed on gog

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really missing out on anything really, simply don't be a mug and invest in digital shit.

They can pull it for any reason, but it is funny, people bitch and moan about if getting pulled.....

Pretty sure that if you don't already own these old games by now, then there's a reason for that and you still wouldn't have, but people moan for the sake of it.

I dont want to see anymore of these shit so called "HD REMASTERS", nothing is remastered, its simply ported to run on better hardware at higher resolutions.

Take emulation as a perfect example, your not making any changes to the original game itself, yet here I am emulating MGS3 in 4K and it looks better than the so called " HD REMASTER".

Textures, models all remain the same, so they should actually call them PORTS.

Anyway, I would rather see the games story be completed and come full circle, we need to ditch the shit game style from MGS5 and come back to the original format and end the story.

alexkidd11

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Huh... I formatted my PS3 a month ago and redownloaded my entire games collection, which bizarrely included MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker HD Edition - listed under "Metal Gear Solid HD Collection" on my PSN purchase history. I just checked and they are here and playable.
Were the games really delisted or only available to anyone who already have bought them ?

Reactions: depaul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Huh... I formatted my PS3 a month ago and redownloaded my entire games collection, which bizarrely included MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker HD Edition - listed under "Metal Gear Solid HD Collection" on my PSN purchase history. I just checked and they are here and playable.
Were the games really delisted or only available to anyone who already have bought them ?
I believe in general Sony allows re-download of titles if they're already purchased, but they're delisted from new purchases.
That's why hackers still manage to get packages of delisted games from PSN, despite being delisted.
The game is good but if it's your favorite in the series you're missing out a lot
Yes sorry I might have strange taste but I've owned MGS 1, 3 and 5 (demo). They're all good but MGS Rising really surprised me, it's the coolest game for me.

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: alexkidd11

Kazmar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metal Gear Solid 2 looks that much better? I'm pretty sure it ran at 60 FPS on console too.

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really missing out on anything really, simply don't be a mug and invest in digital shit.

They can pull it for any reason, but it is funny, people bitch and moan about if getting pulled.....

Pretty sure that if you don't already own these old games by now, then there's a reason for that and you still wouldn't have, but people moan for the sake of it.

I dont want to see anymore of these shit so called "HD REMASTERS", nothing is remastered, its simply ported to run on better hardware at higher resolutions.

Take emulation as a perfect example, your not making any changes to the original game itself, yet here I am emulating MGS3 in 4K and it looks better than the so called " HD REMASTER".

Textures, models all remain the same, so they should actually call them PORTS.

Anyway, I would rather see the games story be completed and come full circle, we need to ditch the shit game style from MGS5 and come back to the original format and end the story.
'Port' isn't a marketable term, it's that simple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4