Metroid: Other M - Any way to play with the GameCube controller or Classic Controller?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a game that has always left me wondering and the main reason I've been avoiding it is due to the controls, it forces the gamer to use the Wiimote as a "NES" Controller, but honestly it's just not a very comfortable controller compared to the GCN, the official WCC, or a Hori Classic Controller. So... Is there any way (a mod/hack?) to play it with?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a game that has always left me wondering and the main reason I've been avoiding it is due to the controls, it forces the gamer to use the Wiimote as a "NES" Controller, but honestly it's just not a very comfortable controller compared to the GCN, the official WCC, or a Hori Classic Controller. So... Is there any way (a mod/hack?) to play it with?
I'm afraid I only have hardware solutions. You can get Wiimote grips with a shoulder button that presses the B trigger. But you would still need to rotate it round for the first-person scanning and exploration sections.

The controller I use for this game (and Super Paper Mario and Wario Land: Shake It/Dimension) is the one being modelled by my cat avatar - the Retro Classic Controller / Interworks Controller Pro U - it looks like a Wii U Pro Controller that has eaten a SNES controller and toggles between acting as a Wii (NOT U) Classic Controller Pro (i.e. with digital shoulder buttons) and a Wiimote, either sideways or upright. The sticks are not great, and the A and B in Wiimote mode are still A & B, so the primary buttons for Other M are X & Y. But it actually works really well for games with NES-style controls, and retains the IR camera at the top so I can just point it at the screen to activate first person aiming.

Beware! There are also very similar-looking knockoff Wii U Pro Controllers that don't have the mode switches (but do still have the non-functional IR window…), but these won't work for our use case.

Modded mine with an N64 d-pad (less pointy corners) and the SNES-coloured buttons from the WUPC one I got by mistake:

Attachments

• Classic Controller.jpg
    Classic Controller.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Pro U.jpg
    Pro U.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: swosho and Marc_LFD

NestorM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm afraid I only have hardware solutions. You can get Wiimote grips with a shoulder button that presses the B trigger. But you would still need to rotate it round for the first-person scanning and exploration sections.

The controller I use for this game (and Super Paper Mario and Wario Land: Shake It/Dimension) is the one being modelled by my cat avatar - the Retro Classic Controller / Interworks Controller Pro U - it looks like a Wii U Pro Controller that has eaten a SNES controller and toggles between acting as a Wii (NOT U) Classic Controller Pro (i.e. with digital shoulder buttons) and a Wiimote, either sideways or upright. The sticks are not great, and the A and B in Wiimote mode are still A & B, so the primary buttons for Other M are X & Y. But it actually works really well for games with NES-style controls, and retains the IR camera at the top so I can just point it at the screen to activate first person aiming.

Beware! There are also very similar-looking knockoff Wii U Pro Controllers that don't have the mode switches (but do still have the non-functional IR window…), but these won't work for our use case.

Modded mine with an N64 d-pad (less pointy corners) and the SNES-coloured buttons from the WUPC one I got by mistake:

Does it work well ?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it work well ?
Yes. It's more comfortable than a sideways Wiimote, and being able to change to pointing mode by tilting the controller up rather than changing grip is nice (though possible to activate accidentally - I suggest putting your sensor bar on top of your screen so the controller needs to be tilted a longer distance to see the IR LEDs and activate pointer mode). The disadvantage is that you need to reach over the A&B buttons to use X&Y as these are the 1&2 buttons that are the main action buttons. A&B still act as A&B, but these are only used occasionally in M: OM and SPM.

Last edited by emcintosh,
Reactions: NestorM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer