Hacking Metoid Other M Baby's Cry freeze LAST THREAD

Resident Stevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, presuming that everyone here has obtained a copy by downloading/torrenting a rip of the game, has anyone actually tried using USB Loader's game ripping function and copying it straight off the disc and seeing if that worked at all?

Because that's going to be my next step.

EDIT: Never mind, I read the post above.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
codezer0 said:
Hmmm, now that I think about it, I don't know what version of that cIOS I have. what is the newest one, anyway?

The latest NeoGamma or CFG will tell you that. You probably want cIOS56 rev20 for now if you don't use wifi or the nand emu.
I do use wifi for the internet features of the Wii; don't use nand emulation or whatever that is.

Thankfully been keeping semi-regular backups with Bootmii as boot2. The updated build of HBC also included a new version of BootMii, so used it then.

I just know that I think the last time I had a choice, installing ios 249 with ios56 as a base meant I couldn't install any of the wiiware/vc wads properly anymore. So definitely don't want that to happen. I think the prior ones used IOS 38, if memory serves correctly.

bysizsols

Trophies
XP
Country
Tanas said:
If you want to check if your copy of Metroid is ok, using WiiScrubber extract the movie "dm03to04.sfd" (this is the baby's cry cutscene) and play it using VLC and if the movie freezes and doesnt play until the end then the copy you have is more than likely bad.
I tried this on the WiiTard release and the movie froze at the exact same point as it does in the game, the movie plays fine when tested using a working copy.

My copy stutters a bit at the eye, but it does continue playing in VLC. I guess this probably means this won't work, right?

Anyway, thinking logically, is it possible to extract the movie "dm03to04.sfd" from a good copy, and replace the bad version I have with that using WiiScrubber? Is there any reason why this wouldn't fix the problem?

Terrulin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
turbotronic said:
beav1s said:
for those who have the ridley scene freeze

i believe the source of this problem is wii backup manager and wii game manager, more specifically the older versions of wbfs_file they appear to use. i used the wbfs_file from cfgloader page manually and i was finally able to get past the freeze. http://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader/downlo...mp;can=2&q=

i swear i tried 2 different releases, other_m.rar and the new bioshock proper release, tried different revisions of config loader, usbgx, and wiiflow, tried every combination of hermes v4 and v5 as well as all wanins cios v17-20, all resulting in same freeze.

note: i did not remove the update partition when using wbfs_file manually, so my R3OE01.wbf1 file is a few hundred megs bigger than the ones created with previously mentioned wbfs managers, however i believe the problem is with older wbfs_file.exe. already spent lots of time trying to fix this so its possible the update partition was the problem, but im of the opinion it was the outdated wbfs_file.exe. maybe someone else who has this problem and uses this fix can confirm.

hope this saves someone of going through all the trouble i did

+ confirmed

thx you so much for figuring out the problem
yaywii.gif

works like a charm now

I also was having it freeze at the same point. I tried the wbfs_file but went ahead and had it remove the update partition and i got the same thing. Freezes when Samus says "Anthony, No, Dont Do It"

So I tried it again where wbfs_file keeps the update partition, and I was able to get through the cutscene. So again confirming this will help someone get past this problem.

But I couldnt help but think maybe that since the size is now different (with the update) whatever the problem area is might be in another area. So, after saving, I started a new game to see if this so called Baby's Cry freeze would occur. Needless to say it did. One GUESS is that the split between the wbfs file and the wbf1 file occurs on a different cutscene depending on if you left the update partition in or not. If you left it in, it occurs in a very early cutscence. If you removed the update, there is extra space on the first file, so the change in files doesnt happen until a later cutscene.

1. Yes with update in wbfs files (Baby's Cry Freeze); no with update removed, but freezes on the so called "Ridley" one instead
2. FAT32
3. cios222v4(38); also tried cios249rev17(38) as well (even gave 222v5 and cios249v20 a shot, each with various bases, also having no luck)
4. GX (938)
5. ind, wiitard (will update if TLS version fairs differently)
6. Yes, and No (with wbfs_file.exe and with Wii Backup Manager)
7. Dead stop in the video, no audio but freezes on 1 frame of the cutscene (same frame each freeze)

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay i fixed mine but now i get an error CIOS wont load blah di blah di blah in USBLoader so NeoGamma is being used, r7 hope i can find like a r15

Baboo77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
beav1s said:
for those who have the ridley scene freeze

i believe the source of this problem is wii backup manager and wii game manager, more specifically the older versions of wbfs_file they appear to use. i used the wbfs_file from cfgloader page manually and i was finally able to get past the freeze. http://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader/downlo...mp;can=2&q=

i swear i tried 2 different releases, other_m.rar and the new bioshock proper release, tried different revisions of config loader, usbgx, and wiiflow, tried every combination of hermes v4 and v5 as well as all wanins cios v17-20, all resulting in same freeze.

note: i did not remove the update partition when using wbfs_file manually, so my R3OE01.wbf1 file is a few hundred megs bigger than the ones created with previously mentioned wbfs managers, however i believe the problem is with older wbfs_file.exe. already spent lots of time trying to fix this so its possible the update partition was the problem, but im of the opinion it was the outdated wbfs_file.exe. maybe someone else who has this problem and uses this fix can confirm.

hope this saves someone of going through all the trouble i did

I found a piece of software call wii disk checker. It basically scans the data on ISO's for missing/corrupt files If this thing is working right then the only clean/complete dump is Bioshock. I also went further and ran some tests. I took the BS_met.ISO (which tested clean) and I ran it through wiscrubber then I tested it again, it result in missing/corrupt files in the game data partition. Since all wii game managers scrubb iso's before loading the game on the HDD my guess would be you get a broken game every time you install it to USB. I am currently trying a 1:1 conversion with wbfs file.exe mentioned above but I won't be able to test tonight, I have to reformat my HDD and reload my games after a failed experience with an alpha piece of homebrew. I will report back later.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bysizsols said:
Tanas said:
If you want to check if your copy of Metroid is ok, using WiiScrubber extract the movie "dm03to04.sfd" (this is the baby's cry cutscene) and play it using VLC and if the movie freezes and doesnt play until the end then the copy you have is more than likely bad.
I tried this on the WiiTard release and the movie froze at the exact same point as it does in the game, the movie plays fine when tested using a working copy.

My copy stutters a bit at the eye, but it does continue playing in VLC. I guess this probably means this won't work, right?

Anyway, thinking logically, is it possible to extract the movie "dm03to04.sfd" from a good copy, and replace the bad version I have with that using WiiScrubber? Is there any reason why this wouldn't fix the problem?
The stuttering is normal, as long as it played to the end where samus ship lands then your copy is good.

kitehimuro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Anyone who can upload a savegame with the FIRST possible save opportunity AFTER the Baby's Cry freeze? I managed to get one much farther in the game and it seems to work, but I hope to miss as little of the game as possible.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No.
2. WBFS. Transferred using WBFS Manager 3.0.1
3. Waninkoko 249 rev 19 using IOS 57.
4. USB Loader GX rev 921
5. Metroid.Other.M.USA.REAL.PROPER.REPACK.WII-BiOSHOCK
6. Huh?
7. No issue

I want to answer this accurately. I watched all the animation and I got to a save point, so I'm assuming there are no crashes. What is question 6 referring to?

Resident Stevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Frozen after the Ridley fight.
2. WBFS
3. Tried 222, 223, and 249
4. USB Loader GX rev 921
5. [Wii]Metroid_Other_M[NTSC][MULTi3][WiiSOS.com]
6. I tried loading it the first time with WBFS Manager, then I tried the other suggestion with wbfs_file.exe
7. The game isn't actually frozen, it sticks in first person mode at the scene where the other Federation Soldiers are looking at Lyle's dead body on the ground, I can look around, but I can't move or proceed any further.

ChiboSempai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. It freezes during the beginning tutorial after you are instructed to stand in the middle of the room
2. wbfs
3. Waninkoko cios rev19 on 249
4. USB Loader GX, I forget the version, probably a few months old
5. WiiSOS
6. No
7. You are instructed in the tutorial to stand in the middle of the room and one of the blocks lights up for you stand on it. Once you stand on it, the game freezes. Background ambient sounds continue, no beep or anything.

Gotten the same freeze twice.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Resident Stevil said:
7. The game isn't actually frozen, it sticks in first person mode at the scene where the other Federation Soldiers are looking at Lyle's dead body on the ground, I can look around, but I can't move or proceed any further.
That's not a bug, just bad gameplay design....Focus ('B' button) on the green ground slime that leads to the busted transport. That will lead you to your next cut-scene and eventually back to normal game-play.

Here's my report:
1. No freeze when running off USB, but can't get through any cut-scene when running off disc.
2. WBFS and disc.
3. cIOSx Rev20 Installed as IOS249 using a base of IOS57
4. Latest USB Loader GX r938
5. Metroid.Other.M.USA.REAL.PROPER.REPACK.WII-BiOSHOCK
6. No.
7. Verified disc burn to be good. Using Verbatim MIS DVD+R DL in a Pioneer 111D burner, DVD-ROM booktype, proper layer break of 2084960, burning at 4x and 8x. The disc mounts and the game starts, but the Wii either displays a disc error screen or reboots during any cut-scene. I can try loading from saves deeper into the game, game-play runs fine but whenever a cut-scene occurs, I can't play past it. Everything is fine when running off USB though.

-[]D

Resident Stevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
Resident Stevil said:
That's not a bug, just bad gameplay design....Focus ('B' button) on the green ground slime that leads to the busted transport. That will lead you to your next cut-scene and eventually back to normal game-play.

-[]D

Well....I don't know whether to be relieved or embarrassed. I guess I'm fine then. Thank you.

jmlsteele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tanas said:

How far into the game is Ridley's scene?

I don't suppose you, or someone else, could post an md5, or some similar checksum of the valid file could you? The one I had stutters (which I saw you said is normal), has a messed up palette, and freezes between 0:19 and 1:13, however after that 54 second freeze continues to play.

(From the Bioshock Proper Repack)

No report yet as I'm not gonna download the whole thing from my seedbox if it turns out to be broken.

ddrhazy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried two different ISOs that were both compressed at around 4 gigs and neither worked. One was the WiiTard release and the other was the PROPER BiOSHOCK release. Both froze at the baby's cry scene. I attempted to use all sorts of different fixes(pimp my wii, different cios's etc) and nothing worked.

Finally I downloaded a different iso([Scrubbed][TLS Games][Reidy])that was a full 7 gigs and that didn't freeze!

ChiboSempai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChiboSempai said:
1. It freezes during the beginning tutorial after you are instructed to stand in the middle of the room
2. wbfs
3. Waninkoko cios rev19 on 249
4. USB Loader GX, I forget the version, probably a few months old
5. WiiSOS
6. No
7. You are instructed in the tutorial to stand in the middle of the room and one of the blocks lights up for you stand on it. Once you stand on it, the game freezes. Background ambient sounds continue, no beep or anything.

Gotten the same freeze twice.

Just updated my USB Loader GX and tried rev17 since I saw people having success with that and it still freezes at the same part.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seriously, if you download a game that is a DL game, and the download is only 4.x GB and it does NOT say it's a special DVD5 version, why do you expect this to work?

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Here is a little test to foind out if your image is scrubbed and/or a bad dump.

Get WIT, open a console and execute the following commands. The tests take time because the whole image must be read, decrypted and millions of hash values must be calculated and verified.
[*] First assume you have a non scrubbed image.
Use the command: wit verify --raw yourimage
If the result looks like this, it's ok:
Code:
+OKÂÂÂÂ .0ÂÂUPDATEÂÂR3OP01 Metroid - Other M [R3OP01].wdf
+OKÂÂÂÂ .1ÂÂDATAÂÂÂÂR3OP01 Metroid - Other M [R3OP01].wdf

If the output looks like that, than it is scrubbed or a bad dump:
Code:
!H0-ERR .0ÂÂUPDATEÂÂR3OP01 Metroid - Other M [R3OP01].wdf
!H0-ERR .1ÂÂDATAÂÂÂÂR3OP01 Metroid - Other M [R3OP01].wdf
If only 1 line for the DATA partition is printed, the UPDATE partition was removed.
[*] If the previous test fails (not "+OK" for all partitions) then try the verify in scrubbed mode.
Use the command: wit verify yourimage
The command is the same as above, but without --raw.
Analyzing the output is like above. If it fails again it is a bad dump.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::lol::rofl::rofl2: