'Metal Gear' Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    an anti-anime bunker
    True, but i'm hoping. Its all we can really do at this point.

Justinde75 likes this.
  2. Steak_Eater

Steak_Eater Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2015
    United States
    Wasn't that already MGS4?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    an anti-anime bunker
    Technically..... yes it was.
    MGS5 is a prequel and Metal gear rising (i believe) takes place after MGS4

Last edited by Stephano, Jul 13, 2017
  4. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    not really, yes snake was able to put a stop to the patriots ai, but there is still the issue with him and the fox die that was mutating inside his body.

also if we think about it, MGS events are all set in place by Big Boss, following MGS3 all to put an end to Major Zero who basically created an ai system that would control and govern everything, snake (big boss) didnt believe in this and went his own way, zero knew big boss would be a problem and tries to take him out.

nearly succeeding big boss had to set events into motion to fool the patriots into thinking he was dead, using solid snake basically as his puppet assisted by his loyal side kick, revolver to help put an end to the patriots...... but big boss would never get close enough to the man behind it all, Zero.

When snake takes out the patriot ai this then allowed big boss to come out of hiding and kill zero thus getting revenge for everything he had done.

but even then, is it really the end, its not like america wouldnt try to put something else in place, if not better?

this could be set long after solid snake has died and his remains kept safe to prevent his body being used as a weapon of mass destruction, it could also put the whole supernatural spin that MGS games tend to have by creating new clones and Snake is young again and reliving memories and experiences from his past clone.... but is facing a whole new era of Metal Gear weapons.

Last edited by Retroboy, Jul 13, 2017
    Stephano likes this.
  5. Boricausufire

Boricausufire Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    Venezuela
    Kojima's Nightmare, I feel bad for him because he said that he never liked the idea of making sequels to the games that he produced.

Nevertheless, MG is a beautiful conflict, both in real life and in-game. It's pretty much dead now but it left its watermark in the videogame history.

Last edited by Boricausufire, Jul 13, 2017
  6. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Could never get into Metal Gear.
    I just kinda get either stuck or bored too early.
    Peace Walker was fun up until the tank mission.

7. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Metal Gear...age hasn't slowed it down one bit....
    ....Konami did...

8. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I've unfortunately not played a single Metal Gear game except for a few hours of MGSV: TPP. It's been one of those series that I've been meaning to go back and play, but I haven't had the time yet. Oh, but I've been following the Kojima-Konami shtick very closely, so anytime I see Metal Gear now, it's followed by resentment of Konami.

9. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Europe release wad on 29.9.1987
    My date of birth :-)

Prans likes this.
  10. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    1987 really was an amazing year. It gave us so many great things. Metal Gear. Final fantasy. Star Trek The Next Generation. Zelda (US at least). Robocop. The Simpsons. Oh and me. :D

Prans likes this.
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Personally mgs2 was my favourite, but then again I have always liked overly complicated things I kinda stopped playing at mgs4, but the I didn't give it too much of a chance

Prans likes this.
  12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    That game desperately needs a ps4 port, the ps3 couldn't handle that game, couldn't even be consistent with 60 FPS, would always drop to like 15, and those loading times, install data with snake smoking for like 10 minutes. :wtf:

But metal gear solid 2 was top of my list right after metal gear solid one... then metal gear rising revengeance came out and now I own bayonetta. :ninja:

kikongokiller and Stephano like this.
  13. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Portable Ops was the one I liked least and had a blast with Peace Walker on the PSP which looked impressive on the tiny handheld lol. I really loved the OG Playstation's MGS and since then, I've been a fan of the series.

14. Kevinpuerta

Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    SNAKE RETURNS TO SMASH SWITCH EDITION FOR HIS 30TH ANIVERSARY!

Sorry

Prans likes this.
  15. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    I wish :sad:

16. Kevinpuerta

Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    Snake eater on ps2 was probably my favorite. Especially the 3ds version of it.

17. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Yeah, I think MGS is one of those franchises like Zelda which sees fans having very different favorites because the differences between installments are generally greater than other franchises. It also might be interesting to know that I originally loved PW when I first played it on the PSP, but only came to dislike it upon revisiting it in the HD collection.

Prans likes this.
  18. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    It might be because it looked more impressive on the tiny PSP screen at the time it was released, graphically speaking.

19. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    I've heard of Metal Gear Solid since 1999 and how amazing it was... but never got my interest

Played the remake a bit on Gamecube and hated the controls.

Played Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater 3D on the 3DS and hated the controls and frame drops but loved the atmosphere and story.

Played the original Metal Gear Solid on PS Vita in 2012 and it grew on me... Then i played everything in order on the Vita and i bought a PS3 just to play MGS4 and 5. and had the best video game experience in my life, it is now one of my top favorite series of all time!

I really think playing the games in some order makes a huge diference in appreciating Metal Gear: i would play MGS1-4, Peace Walker, MGS5 essentially. Then later if you still want more play Portable Ops, the original Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2 and Twin Snakes ( MGS remake GC) and the excellent Metal Gear Solid for Gameboy Colour.

Prans likes this.
  20. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I don't remember feeling one way or another about the graphics at the time, but what I do remember liking about it was that it seemed to take the recruiting/army building mechanics I enjoyed in Portable Ops and expand upon them. At the time, that was enough for me to overlook all of the filler missions and drawn-out, grindy boss fights, at least enough for me to still enjoy the game.

Prans likes this.