Tutorial  Updated

Merging badge data!

Hi GBAtemp. User @shutterbug2000 has found a way to merge two badge datas to essentially give yourself the badges of another player that has made their files publicly available. In this tutorial, we'll be using @Februarysn0w's badges (he/she has collected over 900 badges).

Februarysn0w's badge data: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=b6305612e3c95fbd&id=B6305612E3C95FBD!694&authkey=!ANwz34EVEYjGARc

1. Open the target's BadgeMngFile.dat and yours in a hex editor of your choice. (HxD is preferred)
5239b2ce86.png

2. Copy from 0x0 to 0xc (ctrl+g "C"; hex checked) from the target and then pastewrite the strings onto your file.
aca6040825.png

c548712ff2.png

3. CTRL+G to "3E8" and select everything starting from there to the end of the file and pastewrite it to yours once again. (Alternatively, you can copy from 0x1C to 0x20 from your file and then pastewrite the strings onto the target. Using this method, you can skip step 2 and 3. Then simply copy the target file to your 3DS)
38f9bac7e1.png

4. Save the edited BadgeMngFile.dat.

5. Copy the modified BadgeMngFile.dat and the target's BadgeData.dat onto your SD card and import them.

Please reply to this thread if this worked for you!

Great videos by @Ericzander:
CFW users:
Homebrew users:

EDIT: A lot of people don't know what to use. If you're a CFW user, use SaveDataFiler. If you're a *hax user, use ext_data dump tool or Sunshell by Rinnegatamante.

Last edited by froggestspirit,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
o3ds ftw!!!!
hah. i LOVE my N3DS. the hinge is so much better! my O3DS was really starting to fall apart (it was a launch model so it was pretty ancient) bottom screen has some pixel damage, dpad was peeling off, the hinge was wobbly, the volume control wouldnt work. i did love my o3ds once upon a time though =[

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
I try dumps the data i need, follow the video, but the message i got is: could not open archive. Why?
Edit: i try to re-download the hoembrew for dumps the file and follow the istructions and....i select dump extdata specified in config and the screen go black.

Last edited by PedroKeitawa,

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
nope i'm sure. it was there on my o3ds on emunand 10.3 but it's not on my N3ds 9.5 emunand. nor my brothers N3ds 9.5 emunand.
If you can't attach badges to folder it's probably because that the owner of the manage file attached badges to some folders before he shared the file. For me, I tried to place a badge and chose to reset the layout. After that I was able to attach badges to folders.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you can't attach badges to folder it's probably because that the owner of the manage file attached badges to some folders before he shared the file. For me, I tried to place a badge and chose to reset the layout. After that I was able to attach badges to folders.
no that's not it. the option in the menu to attach the badges to a folder is literally not there. as for a reset layout option 9.5 doesn't have that option either does it?

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, wouldnt dumping all the badges data with GYTB and then sharing the png files to install them with the same app easier than using the hex editor?

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just wondering, wouldnt dumping all the badges data with GYTB and then sharing the png files to install them with the same app easier than using the hex editor?
this method predates GYTB. and yeah it would be but february's data doesn't seem to be (easily) extractable using GYTB because its in japanese.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gave this a go following the video for CFW. At first it did not work so I deleted the extdata, ran the game again and started over.

Now it works better than I expected. I guess that I am one of the few people that can still play the game after merging my data. It's pretty cool that all of the badges that I catch now just get added to the 950 that I started with. I went into the collection viewer, paid a dollar for a game just to see if it would erase anything but it's all still there. Even after a reboot.

Of course only the ones that i have caught show in the collection viewer but I can still use all of the other ones on my home screen.

For those that are wondering, I have an o3ds XL FW 4.2 with GW on 10.3 still using the MSET exploit.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
today , i opened the app , then it told me my badges is corrupted , and all 950 badges are gone , only the legit one is stayed.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two people have asked this question in this thread so far, but there have been no responses:

To start, I had *no* BadgeData.dat under my 000014D1 folder. When I go to restore snow's BadgeData.dat and the modified BadgeMngFile.dat the first fails (I'm guessing because it doesn't exist already?) and the second succeeds.

My question is: if you do NOT already have a BadgeData.dat file is there any way to make this work? I have a few badges already from previous plays so I'm not sure why I don't have the file or what I might need to do to restore it. Any ideas?

secretclean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two people have asked this question in this thread so far, but there have been no responses:

To start, I had *no* BadgeData.dat under my 000014D1 folder. When I go to restore snow's BadgeData.dat and the modified BadgeMngFile.dat the first fails (I'm guessing because it doesn't exist already?) and the second succeeds.

My question is: if you do NOT already have a BadgeData.dat file is there any way to make this work? I have a few badges already from previous plays so I'm not sure why I don't have the file or what I might need to do to restore it. Any ideas?

I was having the same problem, and I just now figured it out. Have everything set up as described, and when you're ready to import the files using extdata_dump tool, choose the SECOND menu option first (dump files specified in config file). It showed a blank screen for me, so I hit B to go back to menu. Then I was able to restore the files. Not sure why it doesn't dump BadgeData with the rest of the files when you choose the first menu option.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: UsualNoise

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Use GYTB make or get basic files then overwrite it.

chaojimbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use GYTB make or get basic files then overwrite it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh my god.... I got trouble to post reply... Very sorry.

Even when using GYTB to write the basic files, I am still getting errors on the restoring process in extdata_tool when I try to load your data.

"Restoring to /BadgeData.dat
--- Size is too large. ---
Copying failed!
Restoring to /BadgeMngFile.dat
Success."

I can use custom badges just fine, but for some reason, I can not use your badges. I have opened the game and have gotten my own badges as well before I even attempted modifying anything.

(10.3 N3DS, Ironhax)

Last edited by chaojimbo,

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having the same problem, and I just now figured it out. Have everything set up as described, and when you're ready to import the files using extdata_dump tool, choose the SECOND menu option first (dump files specified in config file). It showed a blank screen for me, so I hit B to go back to menu. Then I was able to restore the files. Not sure why it doesn't dump BadgeData with the rest of the files when you choose the first menu option.

Hope that helps.

Perfect! Thanks very much, this worked for me. Odd that you need to dump files before extdata lets you replace them though, but at least it worked.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you list step-by-step what you are doing? Doing that method does not work for me.

I was just following secretclean's suggestion - basically, instead of dumping everything with the extdata dump tool I just dumped the badge files ("choose the SECOND menu option first (dump files specified in config file)"). My config.txt file had only these lines:

DUMP "000014d1:/BadgeData.dat" "BadgeData.dat"
DUMP "000014d1:/BadgeMngFile.dat" "BadgeMngFile.dat"

Then, after modifying the BadgeMngFile.dat according to the instructions in the original post and replacing BadgeData.dat with snow's version I restored only those files. My config.txt file looked like this:

RESTORE "BadgeData.dat" "000014d1:/BadgeData.dat"
RESTORE "BadgeMngFile.dat" "000014d1:/BadgeMngFile.dat"

Hope that helps, I didn't do anything else.

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
Can you list step-by-step what you are doing? Doing that method does not work for me.
I was just following secretclean's suggestion - basically, instead of dumping everything with the extdata dump tool I just dumped the badge files ("choose the SECOND menu option first (dump files specified in config file)"). My config.txt file had only these lines:

DUMP "000014d1:/BadgeData.dat" "BadgeData.dat"
DUMP "000014d1:/BadgeMngFile.dat" "BadgeMngFile.dat"

Then, after modifying the BadgeMngFile.dat according to the instructions in the original post and replacing BadgeData.dat with snow's version I restored only those files. My config.txt file looked like this:

RESTORE "BadgeData.dat" "000014d1:/BadgeData.dat"
RESTORE "BadgeMngFile.dat" "000014d1:/BadgeMngFile.dat"

Hope that helps, I didn't do anything else.
or use sunshell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol