Tutorial  Updated

Merging badge data!

Hi GBAtemp. User @shutterbug2000 has found a way to merge two badge datas to essentially give yourself the badges of another player that has made their files publicly available. In this tutorial, we'll be using @Februarysn0w's badges (he/she has collected over 900 badges).

Februarysn0w's badge data: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=b6305612e3c95fbd&id=B6305612E3C95FBD!694&authkey=!ANwz34EVEYjGARc

1. Open the target's BadgeMngFile.dat and yours in a hex editor of your choice. (HxD is preferred)
5239b2ce86.png

2. Copy from 0x0 to 0xc (ctrl+g "C"; hex checked) from the target and then pastewrite the strings onto your file.
aca6040825.png

c548712ff2.png

3. CTRL+G to "3E8" and select everything starting from there to the end of the file and pastewrite it to yours once again. (Alternatively, you can copy from 0x1C to 0x20 from your file and then pastewrite the strings onto the target. Using this method, you can skip step 2 and 3. Then simply copy the target file to your 3DS)
38f9bac7e1.png

4. Save the edited BadgeMngFile.dat.

5. Copy the modified BadgeMngFile.dat and the target's BadgeData.dat onto your SD card and import them.

Please reply to this thread if this worked for you!

Great videos by @Ericzander:
CFW users:
Homebrew users:

EDIT: A lot of people don't know what to use. If you're a CFW user, use SaveDataFiler. If you're a *hax user, use ext_data dump tool or Sunshell by Rinnegatamante.

Last edited by froggestspirit,

infinete

The Temp's cynic.
Trophies
XP
Country
I followed the youtube video but when I restore it, my badge center tells me that "Your Home Menu badge data is corrupted and will be reset". Any clues as to what I am doing wrong?

Valyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any ban risks with this?
Even if you wrote a BadgeMngFile.dat straight-up from someone else, it'd just give you a slap on the wrist and revert the data the moment you started up Badge Arcade. With this, it wouldn't be any the wiser, even if you played for some badges. It'd just overwrite any relevant badge slots if you did, but wouldn't touch anything else.

Shadowevilbeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Even if you wrote a BadgeMngFile.dat straight-up from someone else, it'd just give you a slap on the wrist and revert the data the moment you started up Badge Arcade. With this, it wouldn't be any the wiser, even if you played for some badges. It'd just overwrite any relevant badge slots if you did, but wouldn't touch anything else.
Okay, opening the badge arcade and closing it will remove the badges inserted with this? (Sorry, kinda dumb on this kind of topics)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got this to work, but how do I get the special badges to work? Like I see the Splatoon badges that are clearly meant to open your system settings, the music app, the eshop, etc., and I can place the abdges, but when I hover over them and hit A which I would assume would take me to the program they clearly represent, it just opens the badge placement menu. Do special badges not work as they are intended, or is it perhaps because these badges are coming from a Japanese save, and I'm on a US system that the special badges aren't able to properly direct to the proper app? Any insight would be greatly appreciated here.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Author Not sure if anyone else figured it out, but an easier way is to just copy your 4 bytes at 0x1C to @Februarysn0w's file.
I'm pretty sure those 4 bytes are needed and are console specific. I'd like to find a way to find out the value without badge arcade, and this should allow anyone with homebrew on 9.x and up to have badges (my friend is on 9.9 sysnand, and I want to get him badges without updating)

Reactions: mungry and Nyannurs

Nyannurs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Author Not sure if anyone else figured it out, but an easier way is to just copy your 4 bytes at 0x1C to @Februarysn0w's file.
I'm pretty sure those 4 bytes are needed and are console specific. I'd like to find a way to find out the value without badge arcade, and this should allow anyone with homebrew on 9.x and up to have badges (my friend is on 9.9 sysnand, and I want to get him badges without updating)
Can someone try this out and confirm it for me? I'm currently "studying" and don't really have much free time to be doing this right now.

Nyannurs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can confirm
Alright, that's pretty great information. I'd edit it into the OP but I'm too lazy and can't come up with a good way to do it without rendering @Ericzander's tutorials useless. I'll be giving you access to edit the thread, feel free to do as you wish. (Don't delete it though! I'll murder you :creep:)

Reactions: froggestspirit

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone try this out and confirm it for me? I'm currently "studying" and don't really have much free time to be doing this right now.

Do you know how to get the special badges that open things like the system settings or music player to actually open the program they say they're supposed to open? I want to use the Splatoon badges that do that, but when you hit A on one of them, it pops up the Badge placement menu. Is it because the data that was used was from a Japanese save and that those badges are directing to a different location on a U system, or am I missing something?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, that's pretty great information. I'd edit it into the OP but I'm too lazy and can't come up with a good way to do it without rendering @Ericzander's tutorials useless. I'll be giving you access to edit the thread, feel free to do as you wish. (Don't delete it though! I'll murder you :creep:)
I tried wording it in step 3, though hopefully it makes sense

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NVM, found my answer, I do indeed need the US launcher badges to use them on a US system to open their intended apps. that makes enough sense. Does anyone have a save file with a large amount of US badges or is it a little too soon to be hoping for such a thing. Really all I want is most of the Splatoon launcher badges, so if there exists a save file with those, I'd love to see it!

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
So your friend who doesn't own the game now has access to the badges?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So your friend who doesn't own the game now has access to the badges?
No, because the data at 0x1C is the Nintendo Network ID, and as of now, I have no way of figuring his out. (the only way I can find it is by looking at a badge management file, unless it is stored somewhere else as well)

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
No, because the data at 0x1C is the Nintendo Network ID, and as of now, I have no way of figuring his out. (the only way I can find it is by looking at a badge management file, unless it is stored somewhere else as well)
Ahh bummer, because @Larsenv in in a very similar situation. Hopefully it can be done because if so, that's huge.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh bummer, because @Larsenv in in a very similar situation. Hopefully it can be done because if so, that's huge.
It's all about finding the value. If there is any other exdata that can be dumped that checks for your NNID, it might be in there, but other than that, I get a sinking feeling that it's stored in the NAND, which people with out cfw don't really have access to

S

swaggon

Even if you did find out how to create the right badge data files for a system with the Badge Arcade, how would you be able to put it into the ExtData? I don't know of any utility that allows the importing of ExtData files, only the replacing of already existing ExtData files.

Without starting Badge Arcade for the first time, there's no badge data in the ExtData. And with no badge data in the ExtData, you can't put any badge data onto the console because there's no badge ExtData to replace.

I've already tried importing same-region badge data to my 9.9 sysnand 3DS, but neither Sunshell nor ExtData Dump Tool even allows the creation of new ExtData. So even if you've found the right bytes to change in the file for the console, you've still got another obstacle to overcome.

I've talked to MrCheeze about potentially creating new ExtData using his ExtData Dump Tool instead of just replacing ExtData, and he says it would be rather tedious but he may have a look at it in the future.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch