Memphis Beat

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
"Memphis Beat centers on Dwight Hendricks, a quirky Memphis police detective with an intimate connection to the city, a passion for blues music and a close relationship with his mother."

IDMB Link

Just finished watching the first episode of this show and I gotta admit I really enjoyed it. Admittedly it doesn't bring anything particularly new to genre but the characters are well written, the acting was solid and the story was good. I've always been a fan of Jason Lee since seeing him in Mallrats, but he's always done comedy before so wasn't entirely sure he'd be able to pull this off but he did any excellent job. If they can keep up the quality all the way through the season then I can see myself enjoying it alot. Oh, and I loved the soundtrack - even if it did have an Elvis tune in there. lol

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was half curious about this show. I, too, have enjoyed Lee since Mallrats (That kid is BACK on the escalator again!) and wasn't quite sure if he'd handle a "drama" so well. I mean, i have faith in his acting... i just haven't seen him in a serious role, as of yet.

However, i learned something. The other day i rewatched Road Trip. And i thought to myself... i REALLY don't like DJ Squalls. I can't put my finger on it, but he irritates the hell out of me. I saw his face on a preview for Memphis Beat, and my interest sank a bit.

That won't stop me from checking it out though. My love of Jason Lee will always be higher than my dislike of Squalls
biggrin.gif

Oh, and the whole Singer By Night thing is fucking key. I REALLY want to hit up memphis, nashville and new orleans for their music scene. So very badly do i want to spend a week in each town. I loves me some blues, jazz and bluegrass.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burn Notice is a tough one for me. I hate the lead guy. I don't know why, but he just screams "mouth breather," but he's charming. The chick is irritating, but lovable, and bruce campbell needs to stick with the Undead... But i enjoy the show. I only started watching it a few weeks ago, and it's a good, charming show.

Royal Pains is another one. I don't "want" to watch it, but if it's on, i'll enjoy it.

White Collar is just a superb show all around. I can't get enough of that one.

I'm hoping for Memphis Beat to fall in between White Collar & Burn Notice on My Enjoyment Scale.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
WildWon said:
I was half curious about this show. I, too, have enjoyed Lee since Mallrats (That kid is BACK on the escalator again!) and wasn't quite sure if he'd handle a "drama" so well. I mean, i have faith in his acting... i just haven't seen him in a serious role, as of yet.

One of the greatest scenes in any film! I wasn't entirely sure he'd be able to pull it off either but he's actually really decent, definitely very watchable. Can see him getting more roles from this part.

QUOTE said:
However, i learned something. The other day i rewatched Road Trip. And i thought to myself... i REALLY don't like DJ Squalls. I can't put my finger on it, but he irritates the hell out of me. I saw his face on a preview for Memphis Beat, and my interest sank a bit.

That won't stop me from checking it out though. My love of Jason Lee will always be higher than my dislike of Squalls
biggrin.gif

In the first episode you rarely see him. 5 minutes at the beginning and a couple of small bits through the show. He is playing the kind of role he usually plays though. I'm hoping he's kept to a minor role and just used as light comic relief. Although let's face it, Lee doing it would make for much better comedy.

Oh, and the whole Singer By Night thing is fucking key. I REALLY want to hit up memphis, nashville and new orleans for their music scene. So very badly do i want to spend a week in each town. I loves me some blues, jazz and bluegrass.

Snap! It's one of the few places I'd really love to visit in the States. Always been a fan of jazz and blues. The soundtrack to the first episode is great. And if it's Jason Lee doing the actual singing in the nightclub scenes then he's got a belter of a voice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1tb SD card for whatever reason
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 1tb SD card for whatever reason