Memory Lane #2: The GBA SP's 15th anniversary

gbaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

Welcome back, readers! This is the second issue of our "Memory Lane" series, where I write about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone. It seems like you all enjoyed the first article, which is great! This time, we're going to be celebrating another 15th birthday of a beloved Nintendo product once more. Today's discussion is focused on the one, the only, the now 15 year old Game Boy Advance SP!

2c307c45ebbcc9b222d21dc7ccbf3262.jpg

With the launch of the Game Boy Advance back in 2001, Nintendo was enjoying incredible success thanks to their new handheld. Nearly two years after its launch in North America, a set of Pokemon games had just released. A new Golden Sun and Castlevania game were on the horizon and about to hit store shelves as well, so how could things possibly get any better? Enter the Game Boy Advance...SP. Released 15 years ago today on March 23, 2003 for North America, (March 28 for other western regions) for $99.99, it entirely revolutionized Nintendo handhelds. Thanks to a frontlit LCD screen, players no longer had to suffer when playing games without a light source. In a dark world filled only with wormlights, the GBA SP was the new shining beacon.

Not only did the SP introduce a handheld with a lit screen to a large audience (The Game Boy Light pre-dates this, but wasn't as widespread), it also started the clamshell design trend which would continue on through the Nintendo DS and 3DS lines, letting people fold the system so that it became easy to fit in one's pocket, while also protecting the screen. Not only was it compact, but at 142g/5oz it was incredibly light, too. Adding onto to the list of new features, there was the lithium ion battery, which meant that the days of salvaging nearly-dead AA batteries from your TV remotes finally came to an end, as you could now simply plug the GBA SP in to the AC adapter to recharge it.

The GBA SP came in 4 different colors when it launched, Cobalt blue, Platinum silver, Onyx black, and Flame red. There would be dozens of different limited editions released as well, with colors and models based off things such as the NES, a Tribal pattern, Pokemon, orange, pearl white, and more. In 2005, there would be a refresh of the line, with the Pearl blue and Graphite black versions, which sported the well-known and loved AGS-101 backlit screen, which was even brighter.

3ba6a7a3.jpg

Despite all the additions, there was a very significant omission, in the lack of a dedicated headphone jack. It caused a fair bit of criticism at the time, but luckily, there was an add-on adapter that would connect to the AC port and allow you to plug a pair of headphones into it. Some players also found the SP's form factor too small to hold comfortably, so many third-party grips were available as well. The GBA SP could also make use of the wireless link adapter, the GameCube connector cable, flashcarts, and nearly all other original GBA accessories. It also inherited the ability to play GB and GBC games via backwards compatibility, so it not only had access to its own library of amazing games, but you could also go back and experience older games in a new way with the bright screen.

Exactly one year later, on March 23, 2004, the system had broken the record at the time for having sold the highest number of units for either a handheld or home console in a launch year, at 6.5 million sold. By the time it was discontinued in 2008, it would go on to have sold around 44 million units total. Now, fifteen years after its release, the GBA SP is remembered fondly for the changes and influences it made. For many gamers out there, it was their first handheld, or possibly their first experience with Nintendo games. Which version of the GBA is your favorite? Did you own an SP? Or did you skip out on this revision? Be sure to share your thoughts, stories, and opinions below in the thread!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which upcoming game anniversary you'd like to see featured in future threads! :yaysp:

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The very first handheld my sister got (the black model), mine was a green gameboy micro :D and later on I bought a blue GBA SP. The three of them are still kicking!
Man I miss my evenings spent on Mario Kart Super Circuit (which it's a good game Nintendo, I know you think otherwise) and trading pokémon with friends with my Pokémon Emerald and Leaf Green ;~;

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the Game Boy Advance SP, a very influential part of my life. It was one of the first handheld gaming systems I have ever owned, and I still have the exact same GBA SP today. It still works and everything! Maybe I'll go back and replay some of my favorites, such as WarioWare, Inc. Mega MicroGame$! or Sonic Advance 3, or maybe one of the lesser-appreciated titles such as Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage.

Reactions: jt_1258

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
holy shit! has it really been that long since I picked up my gba rather than the ds light. I never relized it had no head phone jack, and when I finally had headphones to use I used them with gba games on a ds lite. I can't believe I missed that o.o

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the GBA micro was very underrated screen looks amazing on it and its so dinky it really can go with you anywhere, funny Nintendo started the no headphone port years before apple joined the party, honestly for years I didn't even notice there wasn't a headphone port I remember reading it online and thinking it was fake news and going to check my console :rofl:

Last edited by gamesquest1,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I love you chary :C you always write interesting good topics

i swapped my 3ds for a gba sp lol, a 3ds a console that can play every nintendo portable up to that date, i traded for a "inferior console"
my 3ds was pratically abandoned.. never was kite found of it, i sold it, and later i paid too much for a good condition gba sp backlight, and i love it..
i got an everdrive gb and i already had an ez iv, and i play on it kite often! i still have my ds lite, which i also stopped using praticall.., but i love the ds lite as well and i will not get rid of it :C

i only have one complain, i hate hard clickly buttons like the sp and the 3ds have, i preefer the ones from the ds lite, but it's alright

days of salvaging nearly-dead AA batteries from your TV remotes finally came to an end, as you could now simply plug the GBA SP in to the AC adapter to recharge it.
weird i did the exact opposite, i would get the fresh new batteries from stuff, then when it ran dry put them back in clocks or remotes since they require a lot less power to work, i had a clock that keep running for ages in dead batteries that my gbc would shutdown after some seconds. my family wouldn't know about it lel

Reactions: THYPLEX and Chary

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
christ, i grew up with this thing before my dad snapped it in half and those short happy times or whatever are never coming back
i don't know man, really starting to think that i should kill myself since i'm a pathetic piece of uneducated boney shit

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
christ, i grew up with this thing before my dad snapped it in half and those short happy times or whatever are never coming back
i don't know man, really starting to think that i should kill myself since i'm a pathetic piece of uneducated boney shit
your dad... destroyed... a video game console...?
for real...?
shame on him...
he'll be hated by tempers for ever ...

Reactions: bejiman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu