Memory Lane #1: Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire turn 15 years old

pokemon rs.png

Welcome to the first-ever issue of the new “Memory Lane” article series, where I’ll be writing about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone, in order to celebrate them. Today, we’ll be tackling a set of two popular games that many people hold near and dear to their hearts. If you’ve read the title, or seen the promotion image for this thread, then you of course already have figured out what those games are! Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire versions, which as of today, March 19, released 15 years ago, in North America. Comparatively, it launched four months prior in Japan, and four months later in Europe.

Pokemon - Ruby Version (Uewewewe) (V1.1).png

Pokemon - Rubewwwwwwwwy Version (U) (V1.1).png Pokemon -dfsfssdf Ruby Version (U) (V1.1).png Pokemon - ewrwerRuby Version (U) (V1.1).png

After the incredible success of the Pokemon franchise on the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, an anime series that had taken the world by storm, and merchandise sales that were through the roof, GameFreak was ready to release a brand new Pokemon experience on Nintendo’s latest handheld, the Game Boy Advance. These new games would take the series from 8-bit into the world of 32-bit games, offering much more color and detail and new features than any entry before.

IVs and EVs were changed and Abilities and Natures were added, radically changing the competitive scene. The Apricorns from Gold, Silver, and Crystal became something even better, as Berries were introduced, letting players plant and water their own crops which would result in hold-items that could do a wealth of things in battles. You could now also fight Pokemon in 2v2 matches, called Double Battles. There were Secret Bases you could decorate and show off to friends, and the Contest minigames, which let your Pokemon compete in a more strategic way than just battling. And finally, we of course had a whole 135 new creatures to catch and train, in a brand new region that had no ties to Kanto or Johto. This last addition was controversial at the time, as the lack of returning older Pokemon made the games feel much different from Gen 1 and 2, of which fans had grown quite accustomed to and comfortable with. Sales for Ruby and Sapphire would peak at about 16 million units sold, and while it became one of the most popular games of all time on the GBA, it would never reach the same popularity that Red and Blue (27 mil) and Gold and Silver (23 mil) did.

Pokemon - Ruby Veeqqrsion (U) (V1.1).png

Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (Vr1.1).png Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) 1(V1.1).png daycare.png

Hoenn was quite the unique region, with its water-laden routes that required boat travel, or vast amounts of ocean (7.8/10 too much water) that you had to traverse, and even dive through. The games’ soundtrack will forever be remembered for the blaring trumpets in its themes. It had perhaps the most obtuse puzzle in accessing a legendary Pokemon, requiring Braille in order to get past. In 2005, the third version to the games--Emerald--would release. This game refined the formula created in Ruby and Sapphire, and added in major changes, such as the beloved Battle Frontier. Eleven years later, the two games would be remade in 3D, in the form of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which received moderate-to-positive reviews, and would eventually come close to selling the same amount of their predecessors, at 14 million units sold.

The generation of players that started their Pokemon experience with these two games have likely grown up now, fifteen years after release. There’s no doubt that Ruby and Sapphire are beloved by many, and are likely considered by many to be the peak of the series as well. So, then, what are your thoughts? Are these two games something you remember fondly, or did you skip these titles, and move on from the series? Or are you perhaps more familiar with the remakes that came later down the line? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which game you'd like to see featured in future threads!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
btw, can someone explain me what is the value in a Slowpoke tail?
I remember this from GSC trhat they were sold like 9800$
but whats so valuable in slowpoke tail?
I remember when i played GSC, i didnt speak english very well, i was beginning to learn it
Nothing really, it's like the 500 yen Magikarp
Maybe a parody of drugs?

JIZG!DRUG BAG FUCK

The Apricorns from Gold, Silver, and Crystal became something even better, as Berries were introduced, letting players plant and water their own crops
You wish...
They did add more effects of berries, but probably over half of them were useless outside of making pokeblocks (which technically improved in Emerald and the next generations... but the new effects are extremely niche), and nothing beat playing Crystal daily to raid the easy 3 out of 4 10-hp berries :D

As for the special balls (which could now be plainly bought), most of them were still over-gimmicky - although most of them now worked as claimed!

a whole 135 new creatures to catch and train, in a brand new region that had no ties to Kanto or Johto. This last addition was controversial at the time, as the lack of returning older Pokemon made the games feel much different from Gen 1 and 2, of which fans had grown quite accustomed to and comfortable with.

I think it was more about "1 game (well, 2 [Hoenn/Kanto] + two halves [GC] + two quarters [sevii islands and Emerald extras]) for the price of 8"

As for myself, I got Ruby in 2005, and the parts I appreciated the most were:
  • The music, of course
  • Trick House and the rotating doors in the flying gym
  • Actual weather effects (although most of them were not used)
  • Secret bases and the whole "data trade" feature (required for 95% of TV shows... notice a pattern?)
  • Rocking beauty contests with Surf+Dive or Sunny Day+Flamethrower (Magby first and last pokemon to win master level)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, can someone explain me what is the value in a Slowpoke tail?
I remember this from GSC trhat they were sold like 9800$
but whats so valuable in slowpoke tail?
I remember when i played GSC, i didnt speak english very well, i was beginning to learn it
I had the impression that people ate them.

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
whoa, when i saw the pic on main page (pic gets my attention first) i thought official vc for 3ds... when i read it, it was just anniversary.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Gen 3 was probably the last gen I truly enjoyed playing everything after just felt so...meh, for the most part IMO. I just haven't been able to really get into a Pokemon game the same way as I did with the others. Like Issac, I think the series truly peaked in Gen 2, and then just started going downhill from there.

Gen 3 kept me hooked for quite a while though, I have a lot of fond memories of playing the game with a group of friends when the games released, I think Emerald was probably the first Pokemon game I played that I was actually really close to 100%ing the Pokedex for (without cheating, anyways).

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
One of, if not the best, Pokemon game ever made.
It introduced so many things its uncanny, you could already explore the entire region by flying or surfing, but going underwater was such a joy.
The amount of nostalgia I have for this game will never be wiped.

Reactions: Chary

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
One of, if not the best, Pokemon game ever made.
It introduced so many things its uncanny, you could already explore the entire region by flying or surfing, but going underwater was such a joy.
The amount of nostalgia I have for this game will never be wiped.
I hated all the surfing and underwater tbh finding that hidden sub still makes me see tentacools for hours. Gen 2 was the best gen ever imo and hg and ss are miles better than oras :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i hope youre kidding
only G/S/C and their remake had two region

but yea... I clearly understand how you feel
I'd like to see another pokemon game with multiple region ;)
Im not kidding i realy didnt like 3rd gen or even 5th i did like 4 and 6 and now 7 is complete trash, hopefully 8 is better.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I hated all the surfing and underwater tbh finding that hidden sub still makes me see tentacools for hours. Gen 2 was the best gen ever imo and hg and ss are miles better than oras
Mostly agree, I liked the large map but 7.8 applied a lot more to the originals than ORAS (most likely because you need 4+ button presses to open the map, instead of having one always visible, and the underwater parts being so featureless in the originals)

Now that I think about it, gen 3 invented what I consider the worst feature of Pokemon games - that forced multi-second animation when using HMs

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I still havent finished these, i dabbled in emerald but i never finished it, recently i got yellow and really liked it, i didnt love it, but i liked it well enough, so after that i of course got crystal, but so far i think im starting to get burnt out on these, crystal is a much superior game, but i sometimes find myself overwhelmed without a guide, so its starting to get a little frustrating, but maybe thats just from playing crystal right after 30+ hours of yellow

Jordy19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When I was a kid, I both loved and hated 3rd gen. I had been spoiled by 2nd gen. No day and night system and no days of the week. Game Freak got into the trend of remove feature, add new feature.

At one point I like that they don't re-add old features such as pokemon walking with you or the beauty contests or pokeblocks and don't forget flying with Latios and Latias in oras, it makes every game unique with their own features.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
At one point I like that they don't re-add old features such as pokemon walking with you or the beauty contests or pokeblocks and don't forget flying with Latios and Latias in oras, it makes every game unique with their own features.
Yeah, I love how Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS. Why the hell are you okay with Game Freak taking out features?

Reactions: Skylar-

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
When I was a kid, I both loved and hated 3rd gen. I had been spoiled by 2nd gen. No day and night system and no days of the week. Game Freak got into the trend of remove feature, add new feature.
I forgot about them removing night and day and the fun clock events , thaths why they made colosseum so people could get umbreom and espeon, also no way to transfer your old pokemons over.

Reactions: DarthDub

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoenn was the first region which felt like a true adventure. From traversing a desert that required you to wear goggles, to diving deep down into the Hidden Chamber, to climbing to the peak of Mount Pyre, to exploring a city built inside a volcanic crater, to facing a pokemon that could destroy the world with an extreme weather condition, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, despite being the first games in the series to not have any useful exploits/glitches, were truly memorable experiences. The Sinnoh region, despite not being as epic as the Hoenn region, also felt like an adventure, and that was sadly, the last region in the series that felt as such. Kanto and Johto felt more like field trips, but the freedom to explore still made them fun.

Reactions: Chary

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I played ruby (on my pc) when it was pretty new but I can't remember if I finished it or not, I definitely liked it.
A year or maybe 2 ago I bought a used (but original) emerald cart and started playing it but even after all this time is still unfinished.
I now realiced that while I like the games I find that it drags on too much and story only locations (like those 2 mountains you need to climb to stop the teams and their secret base) are only there to make you lose your time, after you fight the team leader those locations are completely useless and on top of that are far away from where you need to go next to get the medals.

My favorite game is white (and not black because of Iris) because it felt so refreshing to see only new pokemon and I didn't find that the story demanded to go our of your way too much to make it progress.

Vorpal Blade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa 15 years?? It feels just like yesterday when my pastor forced me and my peers to cast our evil demonic Pokemon cards into a bonfire!

Seriously though, I missed out on this generation because of the “Pokemon is satanic” craze. It still feels a bit surreal.

D

Deleted User

First Pokemon game I ever played. Ruby was awesome, I remember trying to catch a legendary with a regular pokeball and eventually succeeded

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1