PS1/2 Memory cards

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, there's not really much in terms of homebrew, but you can at least play xvid and mp3 with sms from external.

Don't try to load backups from your external though, PS2 USB port is 1.1, so it's around 1/5th slower than loading from DVD. You'll get lags and such while playing so IMO it's not worth it. Actually, the best option for a while now has been internal HDD, as it loads faster than even DVDs...The only moot point is that you need a network adapter and a compatible IDE HDD

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And a fat PS2.

Well, perhaps there's a way for it to load burnt DVD backups just in case through soft modding?

Or even a way to allow such functionality on a slim PS2?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
One thing i've found with 32MB cards (and even more so with 64MB cards) is some games don't like them and will refuse to work/corrupt the save or even corrupt the card when used. This was a long time ago and I stuck with official PS2 cards since, i have four or five of them, but only two that is use often. Never used those katana cards though, they sound like they would work well.

Joe88 said:
I have this 24 memory cards in 1 for PSX which has been working great, it uses a digital display and allows you to select which card you want to mount

I have a PS1 card that matches that description, it works great - i only have two problems with it, both are how you switch the memory banks on mine. It uses a key combo on the controller when in the memory card screen, this means 1: I've forgotten the combo
dry.gif
2: I couldn't change banks on a PS2 as the combo didn't work (even when i could still remember it).
I believe later models fixed this by using a button on the memory card itself.

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea, depending on the SCPH of your PS2, it is possible to load backups from burnt DVDs.
What I found out about doing that over the years though is:
1. You need premium blank DVDs. Sony or Verbatim, or at best, Yuden Taiyo.
2. iso need to be patched with ESR and burned slowly with imgburn. (hopefully, your burner doesn't suck or you'll be wasting quite a good amount of DVDs)
3. loading backups from burnt DVDs stress the laser even more than official PS2 games.
4. High TOC games such as RPGs with lots of cutscenes may skip or even freeze up if you don't use quality DVDs. (I use TDK DVD-R...I've encountered freeze ups and skipping at cutscenes for .Hack//GU undubs)

Though regularly, it works pretty well, after switching to internal HDD, I gotta say it's much better 0.o
I heard that it's possible to use internal HDD with a slim, but I don't know much about it since I have a phat 0.o

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps at all, mine is SCPH-77001. Don't know what that means if I'm to be quite honest.

And yeah, I learned the hard way about DVDs when I tried using them for Gamecube backups on my Wii. Going to be getting Sony DVD-Rs in the near future for multigame ISOs and such.

In any case, to google! Or possible PM me and we can continue this conversation elsewhere. I'm REALLY not up to date on the PS2 modding scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't forget your one a day