melonDS 0.9.4 is out!

photo_2022-03-08_12-48-28.jpg

I know this has been a long wait, but finally, here it is: melonDS 0.9.4 is out.

It has been numbered this way because 1.0 is going to be a milestone release: we want to get local multiplayer stable for 1.0.

Anyway, what's new in melonDS 0.9.4? A bunch of improvements that should make things easier for the average end user.

Most notably, in DS mode, melonDS no longer requires you to obtain BIOS/firmware files. You can always supply these if you have them around, for a more accurate experience, but if you don't, melonDS will default to using DraStic's FreeBIOS clones. Similarly, a barebones firmware with default configuration data will be generated.

However, for now, DSi mode still requires you to provide BIOS/firmware/NAND dumps. We are studying ways to get around this requirement, but it's going to take us some work.

There is also a new dialog for firmware settings, which allows you to override the firmware settings with your own. This is intended for when using the default internal firmware, but it can also override the settings in an external firmware, and it even works in DSi mode.

DLDI support has also been upgraded: it is now possible to have melonDS generate a SD image for DLDI on its own, and it is also possible to have said SD image synced to a folder on your computer. This means that you can place files in that folder and they will show up in the emulated DLDI SD card, and conversely, any changes made to the emulated SD card will be reflected to the folder on your hard drive.

While this has been tested extensively, we still recommend that you keep a backup of any folder you intend to use with this, just in case. You can also set your DLDI SD card to be read-only if you don't need it to be writable.

All of this is also supported for the DSi SD card in DSi mode.

Support for ARM9 PU exceptions in interpreter mode has been added. For commercial games, this doesn't mean a lot, other than making certain crashes work like on hardware. But this may definitely come in handy for homebrew developers, as that means exception handlers will work as they should.

We have added a much requested feature: custom paths for saves, savestates and cheat files. The default behavior is that melonDS will place these files alongside your ROMs as it has always done, but you can specify paths where you want these files to be placed if you don't want them to pollute your ROM directory.

In the same vein, the File menu has been revamped to hopefully make the process of loading ROMs more intuitive. This post already talks about it in detail, so read it if you have any doubts.

Generic has been working on properly supporting wifi power saving. This is probably not perfect yet, but it should fix the weird issues you can encounter in Pokémon games when communications are enabled.

We also have some new fun features: Github user 2jun0 made a RAM search dialog, which may come in handy to those who want to make cheat codes. Rayyan also made a new dialog for changing the emulated battery level, which may come in handy to homebrew developers and such, and he's been remaking the input config dialog to be all fancy.

And, as usual, there's a bunch of little fixes and additions we aren't covering here, but you can find them all in this release's changelog on the downloads page (or on Github).

Enjoy!

melonDS 0.9.4, Windows x64
melonDS 0.9.4, Linux x64
melonDS 0.9.4, Linux ARM64
melonDS 0.9.4, macOS x64
melonDS 0.9.4, macOS ARM64
melonDS 0.9.4, macOS universal

Last edited by Arisotura,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me @Arisotura. :)

Thanks for the update. I'm glad things are progressing nicely. But I have a suggestion. Maybe possible to have a feature that allows for two separated windows? A good use of this is dual monitor support. (Each window/screen can get it's own monitor in full screen mode) which would be sorta like how the WII U virtual console layout can use a TV (Top screen) and gamepad (Bottom Screen) :ninja:

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me @Arisotura. :)

Thanks for the update. I'm glad things are progressing nicely. But I have a suggestion. Maybe possible to have a feature that allows for two separated windows? A good use of this is dual monitor support. (Each window/screen can get it's own monitor in full screen mode) which would be sorta like how the WII U virtual console layout can use a TV (Top screen) and gamepad (Bottom Screen) :ninja:
I've always wanted this feature.

Reactions: WG481

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been out of the DS-emulator-for-pc loop for a few years now. What does desmume still have over MelonDS these days? (Disregarding controversy and stuff like that, I already know about those.)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Less headaches, and an active developer.
Also I don't think Desmume has DSI support. :ninja:

Not that Desmume is bad, but I think ever since the last "Stable" is been actively maintained for TAS purposes. So if you do such things like that, is a great tool for it, Lua scripts, debugging and all that. Including have a video /audio recorder which is nice, I would suggest MelonDS to also have that. But since it's basically included in BIZHAWK which is a multipurpose emulator running cores (Example like Retroarch) it can do nearly identical things there including dump video.

In my personal experience, MelonDS performs better than Desmume. I am not sure if If I'm just using the wrong version or maybe the settings. But I know is not my pc. :ninja:

Reactions: Takokeshi and sley

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are there any plans to allow us to rebind the save state hotkeys? I've gotten too used to using F1 through F4 as my save and reload keys without needing to hold Shift, so this will definitely help.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe some time, I'm just too lazy, also my right joy con is currently broken.
If it helps I have a broken left joycon and therefore a right, working one that I don't need since I got a new pair.
Since we live in the same country I could send you mine. DM me if you want to.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@