Mega Man 2.5D Fan-Game has been released

The popular Mega Man series gets some love with the release of a new fan game called Mega Man 2.5D, one that took more than 8 years to create. This fan-made game is made by people who love the series, and blends 2D and 3D into a 2.5D platformer. Witness familiar sights and alongside brand new ones, including stages, enemies, a co-op mode featuring Protoman, vs mode, extras and achievements all in this one game!

Mega Man 2.5D is a fangame developed by a small team of obsessive Mega Man fans. It began in 2009 as an animated proof-of-concept. This got a surprising amount of positive response, and because of this a couple of us got together with the goal of making a playable game out of it.

There are mainly two things that set Mega Man 2.5D apart from most other Mega Man games. The first is the co-op mode, where two players team up to take on Dr. Wily. The other is the use of camera perspective changes which is featured a lot in the single-player mode of the game.

You can check out some videos of Mega Man 2.5D here

:arrow:SOURCE

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, , Reason: THANK YOU CHARY! (She helped me with this post)
D

Deleted User

I just don't get it.

People, if you can make a fangame so great, just make your own unique video game. Seriously, stop wasting your time piggybacking on properties of companies. Make your own shit, never worry about C&Ds!
Nah man than they don't get featured on every nerd nostalgia website fourm imageboard irc.

Or maybe they just really like Mega Man. I agree with you either way.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand you, but would like to assert a notion.

Fangames are a great stepping stone for young ones to eventually reach this process. They provide a sort of template to understand and validate the development and release of a game. After that, though, it's up to them to give it a shot as an original game.

Psycho Waluigi was created by my indie partner and somewhat I, and we both had many fangames under our belt in the past. A lot of people thought it was great, and very polished, so now we're working on an original game. Hopefully others do this same sort of thing, even the developers of Megaman 2.5, perhaps?
i agree. taking a great game with great design. trying to replicate that greatness helps newbies (like me) work out all the parts that make for great design without having to fuss over assets or design too much. ideally, anyway. it's like learning how tech or code works through reverse engineering. plus it's fun! :D

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Jonna

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I just don't get it.

People, if you can make a fangame so great, just make your own unique video game. Seriously, stop wasting your time piggybacking on properties of companies. Make your own shit, never worry about C&Ds!
That mean you have to make everything from scratch, draw your own characters, make your own lore, design your own map and code your own algorithm. And even after all of that, without some form of promotion or positive response from player your game may not even success.

Also it easier for newbie to start with copy what professional did instead of make something on their own. There is a lot of writer start with writing fanfic about their favorite show or mangaka start as doujinshi writer because a long the line they may pick up some idea for they own thing. Toby Fox, the one who made Undertale had make an fangame for Earthbound back in the days and it inspire him to created Undertale so it's not something that you call waste of time.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only that but maybe people just wanted to pay homage to a game they really like, which is why is called FAN GAME. Is supposed to be a connection well enough to motivate people not only to make it and finish it but for fans to play it and be invested too.

Games like Freedom planet was a huge risk but it done well enough to get a sequal. That was pretty ambitious but it worked. Being based off a sonic game that decided to be is own game, is how people feel about it. Sometimes it just helps with advertising. Let's be honest, do we go to watch video game movies and tv shows based on video games cause it has the title of the game? Super mario bros movie. Or did we really wanna see some completly different that didn't have to be called Super mario bros? :P

Risk is risk in lots of ways. There is lots of bad associations with things at it is and wish didn't exist but it does. Is how things have decided to work.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Will this game be on Steam?
this game will be lucky to even exist soon so
62266841.jpg

Cat Scarlet

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
This is not a game published by capcom, is a FREE fan game. Download link is in the first post link.
I mean, I find there is a achievement system, that remind me the achievement system of Steam.

After you replay to me, I realize that fan game can't be on Steam even it is free. Something sad.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I find there is a achievement system, that remind me the achievement system of Steam.

After you replay to me, I realize that fan game can't be on Steam even it is free. Something sad.
Well yeah i suppose. But sometimes is better off, still there many different games to try that isn't on steam, like rom hacks, Rockman 4 minus infinity, Rockman CX. They are free and fun just as good as any mega man game by capcom, and is not Mega man Legacy colletion, a compilation of 6 nes games for $14.99 with acheievements. :P

Cat Scarlet

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah i suppose. But sometimes is better off, still there many different games to try that isn't on steam, like rom hacks, Rockman 4 minus infinity, Rockman CX. They are free and fun just as good as any mega man game by capcom, and is not Mega man Legacy colletion, a compilation of 6 nes games for $14.99 with acheievements. :P

Rockman 4 mi is a wonderful game. I played it but it is too hard for me.:toot:

The reason why I recommend Steam is Steam provide a good platform for discussing and sharing. A good game can widely be known on Steam.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rockman 4 mi is a wonderful game. I played it but it is too hard for me.:toot:

The reason why I recommend Steam is Steam provide a good platform for discussing and sharing. A good game can widely be known on Steam.
Yeah is true, although as you said, fan games are not for steam, but you can always join the website and discuss it on the forum. (Not this one clearly, the website the game is hosted on.) :P

You can also create a fan page or something, a group on steam right? I seen plenty of game pages and groups like that for games not on steam, even for anime or stuff. :)

Reactions: Cat Scarlet

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand you, but would like to assert a notion.

Fangames are a great stepping stone for young ones to eventually reach this process. They provide a sort of template to understand and validate the development and release of a game. After that, though, it's up to them to give it a shot as an original game.

Psycho Waluigi was created by my indie partner and somewhat I, and we both had many fangames under our belt in the past. A lot of people thought it was great, and very polished, so now we're working on an original game. Hopefully others do this same sort of thing, even the developers of Megaman 2.5, perhaps?
I'm not bashing people making fan games who can't really make games. Hence,

You got the skill, you got the resources, you can do it!
What I am talking about are these professional-assed people who can clearly make full-fledged games on their own. Spending years on a fangame when they clearly have the ability to make their own game. I'm not talking about the people who need to piggyback on copyrighted content when they can't code.

They spend years making a fan game only to get C&D'd. What a waste.

Last edited by Pluupy,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl