• Views 8,335,253
  • Replies 3,952
  • Likes 278

arjaylight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is awesome, i havent read the full thread but the idea of LIVE XP/LIVE WIN7 with bunch of portable apps is a dream come true!
Is medicat can be customized so that we can add preferred portable apps?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
is this based on hirens boot cd?
i see that it has things from hirens boot cd (like hbcd menu, and temporary drive)

Yes, I have modified the portable Windows 7 from the Hiren Boot DVD, which was severely outdated with many apps made for XP only. I have extensively modified it to my needs, and even made it into a separate bootable ISO with tons of drivers added, updated the apps in the HBCD menu, etc. The changelog on the first page should give you an idea of everything I've added. :)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, i havent read the full thread but the idea of LIVE XP/LIVE WIN7 with bunch of portable apps is a dream come true!
Is medicat can be customized so that we can add preferred portable apps?

Yes! Absolutely, feel free to modify this to suit your needs! I use 7zip to update the portable apps, and adding new ones isn't difficult with an ISO editor. I use UltraISO, and test my changes in VMware and VirtualBox.

Reactions: arjaylight

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Bow down before your new MediCat FreeDOS overlord! :bow:

main_menu.png MediCat_FreeDOS.png

My friend Fox and I have been collaborating on this menu system for a few days, and it will replace the standard FreeDOS image on the DVD. It's packed with goodies, and is too large to run from an actually floppy. (Almost 12MB large)

Reactions: arjaylight

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have been working extensively on this release a little each day, and fixed many problems with it tonight, as well as updated many of the frequently-used apps in Mini Windows 7. Here's the incomplete changelog so far:

Changelog for v6.07.2015:

- The splash screen and menus now boot in 800x600, instead of 640x480. This improves visuals, without breaking Netbook compatibility. It will be the standard menu resolution going forward.
- Added new artwork for the Diagnostics Utilities menu, it no longer shares the Antivirus Menu's artwork.
- Added a "Shutdown the PC" menu entry on the main menu.
- Added new MediCat FreeDOS menu system, with different DOS utilities. A special thanks goes out to my friend Fox of VulpinX Electronics, for helping me get my MediCat FreeDOS working properly. He contributed a lot of work to the project. :)
- Fixed Mini Windows 7 from hanging right before it loads the desktop, I had 7.WIM in the wrong place. It wasn't working for many people in the last release, and spewing the "No MBR Magic" error message. (Bootup speed will vary between hardware configs)
- Removed some third party driver bloat that was causing Mini Windows 7 to boot up slowly, removing roughly 255MB of old and unneeded drivers. I then compressed the 7.WIM file to further save space.
- Fixed the "Boot 1st Harddisk" entry, finally. (used chain.c32 instead of loacalboot.c32, and now it works)
- Replaced Sophos Antivirus with ESET SysRescue. It boots faster, is updatable, and allows users to move files and edit partitions. Sophos hangs while booting up it's Knoppix-based OS for many people, spewing them out to BusyBox. ESET SysRescue is based on a *buntu system, and boots up fine. This will be MediCat's defacto Antivirus scanner going forward.
- Removed Memtest86+ 4.3.5, but kept 4.20 for older computers, and 5.01 for it's various bug fixes and added CPU support.
- Removed EaseUS Todo Backup, as it is redundant to Norton Ghost and other backup utilities included in Mini Windows 7, and takes up too much space on the disc. (Great utility though, EaseUS makes great products)

Mini Windows 7 changes:

- Updated 7zip to v9.38 beta
- Updated Avira and Avast definitions to their latest as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated BOOTICE to v1.3.3.2
- Updated CPU-Z to v1.72
- Updated Firefox Portable to v38.0 beta 1
- Updated GPU-Z to v0.8.2
- Updated HitmanPro to it's latest as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated ImageX GUI to v2.1.1.0
- Updated HWiNFO32 to v4.62-2500
- Updated Malwarebytes Antimalware setup file to v2.1.6
- Updated Norton Removal Tool to it's latest as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated Notepad++ to v6.7.7
- Updated NTPWEdit to v0.5
- Updated Opera Portable to v29.0.1795.47 Rev 2
- Updated Piriform tools (Ccleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, and Speccy) to latest versions as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated PuTTY to v0.64 beta
- Updated Revo Uninstaller to v1.95 Rev 2
- Updated RMPrepUSB to v2.1.727
- Updated Rufus to v2.1.649
- Updated SoftPerfect Network Scanner to v6.0.6
- Updated SuperAnti-Spyware to v6.0.1186 (+Updates as of May 9th, 2015)
- Updated System Explorer to v6.4.1
- Updated TDSSKiller to v3.0.0.44
- Updated TeamViewer to v10.0.41459 P
- Updated TeraCopy to v3.0 alpha 3
- Updated TestDisk+PhotoRec to v7.0 (stable from 7.0-WIP on last release)
- Updated Tftpd32 to v4.52
- Updated TrID to v2.20
- Updated WinRAR to v5.21 Portable
- Updated WinSCP to v5.7.2
- Updated wxHexEditor to v0.23

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have just finished fixing the bugs in the beta, and the ISO image is currently being uploaded. Instead of sitting on this finished release, I have decided to go ahead and release it a few days ahead of schedule. (There's no point in keeping it on my harddrive for 5 more days)

So in a few hours, the new ISO will be available for download. I hope you enjoy this new stable release, and thank you all for your ongoing support! :sp: :wub:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
My friend Fox of VulpinX Electronics has put together a nice MediCat floppy disk image for us, called MediCat PhD. It's a FreeDOS-based floppy disk image driven by a nice simple menu with DOS utilities for older computers. (It's been tested as far down as a 286 IBM compatible PC).

The hashes and description in the OP has been updated, and the filename in the mediafire download folder is MediCatPhD.img.
The Hasher apps (32-bit and 64-bit) in the mediafire download folder have also been updated to the latest version, v1.7.0 as of this posting.

Screenshot:

MediCatPhD.img.png

Last edited by Jayro,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I would like to apologize for the development silence, but I've been working very hard on a Mini Windows 7 replacement. It's stable, boots from DVD or USB without problems, and is based on Windows 10 Pro PE (build 10240). Instead of the complicated menu editing of HBCDMenu, I have decided to go with the PortableApps.com launcher. This way people can use the built-in app updater to update the portable applications at their leisure, and also launch them from the root of the device if you don't feel the need to boot Mini Windows 10 first.

So ladies and gentlemen, I give you a sneakpeak at Mini Windows 10:

The Desktop.png

PortableAppsMenu.png WindowsPinball.png Solitaire.png StartMenuItems.png ProduKeyApp.png

As you can see, there's quite a bit of tools here. I even added in a freeware Solitaire and Windows 3D Pinball, for those extra long scans and defrags. Mini Windows 10 runs great from a USB 3.0 drive. I recommend a 2GB drive or larger, and use Rufus' default settings to "burn" it to the flash drive. The ISO is also burnable to a DVDmini, DVD5, and DVD9 disc as well.

Once Lubuntu releases on October 22nd, I'll be releasing this along with the 3.99GB updated MediCat DVD on the first post of this thread.

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, maybe it's because I wasn't searching it well because I can't be the only person who is asking this, (and if I am might as well find out now haha). I would like to burn the Disc IMG of the Disc version onto a Flash Drive, but it's not working for some reason. Do any of you have any insight on this? Thanks a million in advance

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I also run a computer business out of my home (regretting getting the L.L.C.) and am eager to test this out!!!

199INA7.png

***NOW WITH A USB VERSION!***
History:
I run a PC repair service out of my apartment, and call it ReSET Computers. As a seasoned PC Technician (A+ Certified by CompTIA) in the field for 16 years, I could never find a software toolbox that could fit my personal needs.... Until I found YUMI, which allowed me to customize my own. That got me making multiboot USB sticks, and all was great. However, some older hardware (and picky computers) wouldn't boot from them, rendering them useless. Even the F12 boot menu wouldn't work. Sometimes the BIOS just doesn't support bootable USB sticks for whatever reason.

This got me curious to try a DVD variety, for those finicky computers that refuse to (or can't) boot from USB. So for the past 2 months off and on, I have been working on a bootable utility DVD under 3.89GB called MediCat DVD. I started with SARDU to get the initial ISO generated with the ISOs I wanted, and went on my own from there.

The Project Objective:
My overall goal of this project is to provide a simplified menu system that's easy to read and understand, while remaining aesthetically pleasing to technicians. I wanted something elegant, but not too distracting. (I figured the gradient wallpaper I made with the menu's drop-shadow looked good enough.) I didn't want it to come across as too technical-looking, or confusing. I also didn't want a butt-ugly DOS-style menu. This is 2015, and there is no need for that anymore... So I did what I could to spruce things up, within the constraints of ISOLINUX. The final generated ISO image of MediCat DVD will always be under 4GB for FAT32 storage purposes, beginning with the v6.10.2014 release, and moving forward.

Testing:
I periodically test my ISO in Virtualbox and VMware, whenever I make enough drastic changes in PowerISO UltraISO. (PowerISO 6.0 is now bundled with adware by Conduit Ltd. called "Search Protect". For this reason alone, I can no longer promote or support the use of PowerISO) All the artwork was generated by myself from scratch in Photoshop (Yes, I'm aware that I have borrowed and re-purposed the Nyan Cat), and all menus have been extensively modified*, with some parts re-written completely to function as I needed them to. Constant testing to make sure the boot paths are correct takes a large part of my time, but is always necessary.

Click the Mediafire icon below for download directory:

View attachment 18859

The 3.99GB DVD version Includes Lubuntu, Mini Windows 7, and everything in the screenshots below. Burn the ISO image to a blank DVD+/-R, and the disc created will be bootable.

Name: medicat.6.07.2015.iso
Date: 6/2/2015
Size: 3 GB (3,404,775,424 bytes)
--------
SHA-1: 4A6B2F77B0C85ADD0DB67BFD454294387937930D
MD5: A03C19996A48E364D5010A9A137BE98B
CRC32: E44765DC

The Mini7.iso is just the Mini Windows 7 DVD ISO by itself. Burn the ISO image to a blank DVD+/-R, and the disc created will be bootable.

Name: Mini7.iso
Date: 6/3/2015
Size: 1 GB (1,376,538,624 bytes)
--------
SHA-1: F981F41E2DB51A7C7AAB159DD8050534A093980F
MD5: 5D27DA42A8EFCEEED7F6F333C15D2E79
CRC32: 59F3FF41

The USB version only includes Mini Windows 7, with it's robust collection of utilities. 2GB flash drive or larger required, and flashing software "ImageUSB" is included, along with clear flashing instructions.

Name: MediCat USB.7z
Date: 12/10/2014
Size: 1.8GB (1,888,655,601 bytes)
--------
SHA-1: 4A220623415D1B8B3FB7EC290CDB6274E17C6BAA
MD5: 4B9C97A01FE435A5A1C3AF6041EADA67
CRC32: 014986F5

This floppy disk version includes MediCat PhD, and is used in DOS with a physical floppy disk drive, and should be written to a standard 1.44MB 3.5" floppy disk. A 286 IBM compatible PC with a floppy disk drive is needed (minimum) for this version.

Name: MediCatPhD.img
Date: 6/11/2015
Size: 1 MB (1,474,560 bytes)
--------
SHA-1: 9964CB4196FC96B2DABCC532087AD2F2F5363947
MD5: 4ADF678E2696F8070ABBE008A3B3129B
CRC32: 4108424B

Changelog for v6.07.2015:

- The splash screen and menus now boot in 800x600, instead of 640x480. This improves visuals, without breaking Netbook compatibility. It will be the standard menu resolution going forward.
- Added new artwork for the Diagnostics Utilities menu, it no longer shares the Antivirus Menu's artwork.
- Added a "Shutdown the PC" menu entry on the main menu.
- Added new MediCat FreeDOS menu system, with different DOS utilities. A special thanks goes out to my friend Fox of VulpinX Electronics, for helping me get my MediCat FreeDOS working properly. He contributed a lot of work to the project. :)
- Fixed Mini Windows 7 from hanging right before it loads the desktop, I had 7.WIM in the wrong place. It wasn't working for many people in the last release, and spewing the "No MBR Magic" error message. (Bootup speed will vary between hardware configs)
- Removed some third party driver bloat that was causing Mini Windows 7 to boot up slowly, removing roughly 255MB of old and unneeded drivers. I then compressed the 7.WIM file to further save space.
- Updated PLoP Boot Manager to v5.0.15
- Fixed Hardware Detection Tool (HDT) menu, the config file (HDT.cfg) was named incorrectly, and now runs fine.
- Fixed the "Boot 1st Harddisk" entry, finally. (used chain.c32 instead of loacalboot.c32, and now it works)

- Replaced Linux Mint with Lubuntu, for many reasons: Lubuntu is much smaller, faster, unbloated, and keeps pace with Ubuntu's release cycle. This will also ensure a more accurate release window for MediCat DVD, instead of relying on Mint's floating release schedule. It was a last-minute decision, but a smart one.
- Replaced Sophos Antivirus with ESET SysRescue. It boots faster, is updatable, and allows users to move files and edit partitions. Sophos hangs while booting up it's Knoppix-based OS for many people, spewing them out to BusyBox. ESET SysRescue is based on a *buntu system, and boots up fine. This will be MediCat's defacto Antivirus scanner going forward.
- Removed "Check System Info" from MediCat FreeDOS, as it was redundant to Hardware Detection Tool (HDT), and refused to boot.
- Removed Memtest86+ 4.3.5, but kept 4.20 for older computers, and 5.01 for it's various bug fixes and added CPU support.
- Removed EaseUS Todo Backup, as it is redundant to Norton Ghost and other backup utilities included in Mini Windows 7, and takes up too much space on the disc. (Great utility though, EaseUS makes great products)

Mini Windows 7 Changes:

- Replaced InternetState.exe with Network Activity Monitor, giving you a nice XP-like tasktray icon, and no more annoying centered pop-up window at startup.
- Gave the Help Thread URL desktop shortcut a "Windows" MediCat icon.
- Changed the "B:\TEMP" ram drive size from 30% of ram/300MB (whichever is bigger) to 40%/512MB respectively, to allow loading large virus definitions that can be in the hundreds of megabytes in size. This ups the Mini Windows 7 system requirements from 768MB of RAM to 1GB.
- Updated 7zip to v9.38 beta
- Updated Avira and Avast definitions to their latest as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated BOOTICE to v1.3.3.2
- Updated CPU-Z to v1.72
- Updated Firefox Portable to v38.0 beta 1
- Updated GPU-Z to v0.8.2
- Updated HitmanPro to it's latest as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated ImageX GUI to v2.1.1.0
- Updated HWiNFO32 to v4.62-2500
- Updated Malwarebytes Antimalware setup file to v2.1.6
- Updated Norton Removal Tool to it's latest as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated Notepad++ to v6.7.7
- Updated NTPWEdit to v0.5
- Updated Opera Portable to v29.0.1795.47 Rev 2
- Updated Piriform tools (Ccleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, and Speccy) to latest versions as of May 9th, 2015
- Updated PuTTY to v0.64 beta
- Updated Revo Uninstaller to v1.95 Rev 2
- Updated RMPrepUSB to v2.1.727
- Updated Rufus to v2.1.649
- Updated SoftPerfect Network Scanner to v6.0.6
- Updated SuperAnti-Spyware to v6.0.1186 (+Updates as of May 9th, 2015)
- Updated System Explorer to v6.4.1
- Updated TDSSKiller to v3.0.0.44
- Updated TeamViewer to v10.0.41459 P
- Updated TeraCopy to v3.0 alpha 3
- Updated TestDisk+PhotoRec to v7.0 (stable from 7.0-WIP on last release)
- Updated Tftpd32 to v4.52
- Updated TrID to v2.20
- Updated WinRAR to v5.21 Portable
- Updated WinSCP to v5.7.2
- Updated wxHexEditor to v0.23

Screenshots:

View attachment 18860 View attachment 18969 View attachment 18970 View attachment 18862 View attachment 18863 View attachment 18864

View attachment 18865 View attachment 18866 View attachment 19626 View attachment 18868 View attachment 18870

Mini Windows 7:

View attachment 19777 View attachment 19778

FAQs:
"Will this boot on my Mac?"
Yes, provided your Mac is an Intel Mac, and not of the PowerPC architecture. The DVD has been updated to Isolinux 6.04, with EFI support.

"Is it free?"
Absolutely. I'm not hellbent on making money from my efforts. I am just in it to better my knowledge, and if others can benefit from my creation, so be it.

"How often will this be updated?"
All included ISOs on the DVD image will be updated to their latest versions, shortly following each release of Lubuntu every 6 months. The link here will be updated to the latest version, always.

"My computer won't boot the DVD, what's up?"
Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM drive, before the harddrive. If using a PC with an EFI, try disabling Secure Boot, and enable legacy booting if the option is there. Alternatively, there's usually an F-key Boot Menu you can bring up during POST. (Mine is F12, yours may differ)

"If anyone can make these bootable DVDs and USB sticks, what makes yours so special?"
Nothing, really. Just simplicity, and convenience on my part. Everything is subjective to opinion of usefulness. My DVD may not be everyone's cup of tea, but f it helps you in the field, yay.

*I have also removed any and all ties to SARDU, there is no evidence to suggest the ISO was generated by SARDU. This isn't to claim that I made the ISO myself, because I didn't; SARDU did. I just find it annoying to have their logos plastered everywhere within the ISO. The structural integrity was created entirely by SARDU, I only edited their initial ISO from their provided GUI.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, maybe it's because I wasn't searching it well because I can't be the only person who is asking this, (and if I am might as well find out now haha). I would like to burn the Disc IMG of the Disc version onto a Flash Drive, but it's not working for some reason. Do any of you have any insight on this? Thanks a million in advance
If you can tell me the problem you're having in greater detail, I can try to help you. But I'm posting from my Wii U, so my powers are somewhat limited here.

CyberTails

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I downloaded the ISO, used Rufus to make a Bootable USB using said ISO and tried to boot into Mini Windows 7 and I get a "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry" error. Otherwise, great job with Medicat and I totally dig the use of Nyan Cat as the Medicat Mascot :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill