Massachusetts GameStop stores closed after telling workers to sell games with bags on their hands

5534667_shutterstock_1064225363.jpg

GameStop might not be as essential as they thought, following the closure of all locations in the state of Massachusetts. The physical game retailer had adamantly claimed that it was an essential business earlier last month, refusing to close as stores across the United States shut down due to the COVID-19 outbreak. After facing pressure from local governments, GameStop eventually shut its doors, though it still allowed curbside pickups for those ordering online. But apparently, according to a memo sent to employees, acquired by the Boston Globe, GameStop workers were still selling games and being told to do so by taping plastic bags to their hands and holding games out to customers through a gap in the door.

A location in Boston managed to receive a nuisance citation for operating like this during a statewide lockdown, resulting in the city government forcing the store to finally close and send its workers home. Following that store's closure, GameStop decided to close down all locations within the state of Massachusettes.

:arrow: Source

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if they had a going-out-of-business sale and were selling $5 brand new nintendo switches I wouldn't give them any of my money ever again.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Gamestop workers are heroes.

Putting their lives at risk to provide entertainment for us being bored on lock down at home.

Workers could've easily quit their job and say no I'm not working here anymore because my boss is telling me to put bags on my hands and keep the store open.

They instead say yes I'll will risk my life, go to work and provide entertainment to many Americans at home.

They are heroes.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

GameStop might not be as essential as they thought, following the closure of all locations in the state of Massachusetts. The physical game retailer had adamantly claimed that it was an essential business earlier last month, refusing to close as stores across the United States shut down due to the COVID-19 outbreak. After facing pressure from local governments, GameStop eventually shut its doors, though it still allowed curbside pickups for those ordering online. But apparently, according to a memo sent to employees, acquired by the Boston Globe, GameStop workers were still selling games and being told to do so by taping plastic bags to their hands and holding games out to customers through a gap in the door.

A location in Boston managed to receive a nuisance citation for operating like this during a statewide lockdown, resulting in the city government forcing the store to finally close and send its workers home. Following that store's closure, GameStop decided to close down all locations within the state of Massachusettes.

:arrow: Source
gamestop being gamestop

Reactions: IncredulousP

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop workers are heroes.

Putting their lives at risk to provide entertainment for us being bored on lock down at home.

Workers could've easily quit their job and say no I'm not working here anymore because my boss is telling me to put bags on my hands and keep the store open.

They instead say yes I'll will risk my life, go to work and provide entertainment to many Americans at home.

They are heroes.
Let's not pretend they had a choice in the matter. They can't get unemployment if they quit. I seriously doubt a single one of their employees wants to risk their life and/or their health just to keep selling the 500th CoD sequel to 12-year-olds.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Let's not pretend they had a choice in the matter. They can't get unemployment if they quit. I seriously doubt a single one of their employees wants to risk their life and/or their health just to keep selling the 500th CoD sequel to 12-year-olds.
They don't have a choice?

Alot of people are finding out they don't qualify for unemployment after their businesses closed. But businesses still closed. And they still stay home. Sometimes they get layed off from their 15+ yr job. And some look for an essential business to work for, putting their lives at risk at yet another business. Either gamestop or at a essential grocery store their lives are at risk either way.

They know gamestop isn't an essential business no matter what gamestop says. But they still choose to risk their lives to provide entertainment for us. And to make money. They could stay home and say gamestop is doing bad keeping their stores open, but instead chose to go to work. They are individuals with their own will and no one can force them to work. They know what the deal is, but they chose to work. The guilt is on them also. They also take the blame.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Alot of people are finding out they don't qualify for unemployment after their businesses closed.
Everybody who is fired or laid off qualifies for unemployment now, at least in the US. If they're guaranteed to still have a job once stay at home is lifted, then that's obviously not the case, but they'll still receive a stimulus check.

But they still choose to risk their lives to provide entertainment for us. They could stay home and say gamestop is doing bad keeping their stores open, but instead chose to go to work. They are individuals with their own will and no one can force them to work.
It's a choice in the same way choosing between life and death is a choice, sure. Without unemployment benefits, most of them would not be able to afford food, medicine, and rent. Gamestop was exploiting that poverty and desperation in order to milk every last cent of profit out of their employees.

Last edited by Xzi,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they should just have a giant R.O.B unit (maybe like a 20x size scale) fitted with stack up attachments and a pile of games
on one platform, customers can download an app that lets them control R.O.B. and grab their game from the stack and swing him around and drop the game into a chute with a little doggie door like flap at the end ,like one of those claw games

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that video games are officially main stream and something that pod people do; I could really care less to go into a Game Stop let alone associate among a herd of modern gamers with their Plush DOOM Guy dolls anyhow. I hope to see them fail!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
they should just have a giant R.O.B unit (maybe like a 20x size scale) fitted with stack up attachments and a pile of games
on one platform, customers can download an app that lets them control R.O.B. and grab their game from the stack and swing him around and drop the game into a chute with a little doggie door like flap at the end ,like one of those claw games
Sounds like something you'd only need a vending machine for, not a whole storefront. Cool idea nonetheless.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why I keep calling out of work. I don't trust people in management with such things. The place I normally work is just too congested for that even during a lockdown

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like they were just doing illegal drug deals, except replace the drug part with games and it's not really that different.

Companies that exploit bad times such as these for profit disgust me. Same goes for all the people out there as well; I am looking at you stupid ass people who sell toothpaste, and pray to people's TV's saying they're healed from the coronavirus. Fuck those people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1