Hacking Mario Kart Wii Custom Tracks

DWN-011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the USB Loader question:

Why not? You download the files, follow the instructions on the first post for EACH ONE of the files downloaded, save and then move the ISO to your USB device of choice.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Great stuff
biggrin.gif

So many games getting the custom treatment these days
wink.gif

stikboy73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have all the files downloaded and are willing to upload them some where? I really don;t feel like wasting that much time to download them. Unless the authors can speed up the download process.
Thanx
SB

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone post a list of:
-Tracks that are more than texture swaps / hacks
-Good character and vehicle texture hacks

I third the mirror idea. Torrent!

I want to do this, but it is a hassle with WiiScrubber / Trucha Signer to replace tracks. Anything more than once a month would be too much. When would be the best time to make v1.0 of a hacked MKW disc?

fred bloggs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tried downloading a track and moding my ISO - the Wii just black screened when it tried to start the course....

What I did was download the Moo Moo Desert file then replaced the farm file in the Races folder....is this all you have to do ?

Can you give some simple instructions on what we need to change in the iso before we rewrite it ?

Thanks,

Fred

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
Hello there,

I'm Chadderz, and I coded the SZS Modifier. Nice to know people here like it, and I'll try to answer your questions and listen to your comments.
In regards to the server and server speed, I can only apologise; I coded it over a year ago and I was a terrible coder back then
wink.gif
. Improving it is definitely on my todo list (among many other things).
This project was actually started way back in December 2008, although recently we've made a lot of breakthroughs and so we've gained popularity. Hopefully the good people here at GBAtemp will join in!
I'm presently working on a fully integrated course creator for Mario Kart Wii which will simplify the process of creating new courses, to make it much more accessible (it's rather difficult at present).

Below is a video which is currently the hub of the CTGPs (Custom Track Grand Prixs). This shows the current approved custom courses and where CTGPs can be organised.

Looking forward to working with you all
wink.gif

PS: We're interested in Riivolution, looks promising to open up these tracks to many more people!

robal12345

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hello random people!

I am known as MrBean35000vr (don't ask) or as Robert. I'm the brother of the genius-in-training, Chadderz. Sadly, despite being 3 years older than him, I know next to nothing by comparison to him about coding. I'd like to think me and Chadderz make a good team, but it's really him doing most of the hard work with me breathing down his neck/making ridiculous suggestions which sometimes have merits (or cause Chadderz to have a completely unrelated brainwave of some description upon hearing them. What can I say, it's talent, surely.)

However, I'm not completely useless. I'm the one who designed quite a few of the existing full track mods, or custom tracks. I'm also the one who keeps up-to-date on what's happening with Wii homebrew, mainly on here and a few other sites. And it'll be me who's the first to come running down to a chatbox/forum, blaring out about an amazing new feature (usually discussed 2 minutes previously as a speculation) for the SZS Modifier, only to return to see Chadderz with his head in his hands saying that it won't work and now I have to tell people to wait/it's not coming/he wasn't serious in the first place. I'm also amazing at finding ways to make things go wrong, which makes me an excellent bugtester. Chadderz sometimes uses me like a lapdog for this purpose, setting me off to do the tedious part of testing while he lazes around and waits for results, but I'll forgive him for that cause he does the difficult stuff (a.k.a. the coding side of things, while I sit on my arse and complain loudly for the sake of it).

The entire SZS Modifier project started when on a whim one day, I thought it'd be a nice idea if I could design custom tracks for Mario Kart Wii. So, equipped with Wiiscrubber, I tracked down the courses on the disc and took a couple of example files to Chadderz, saying "You're smart, see if you can use these to make a custom track". I wasn't expecting him to agree to it; he doesn't even play Mario Kart Wii himself. But he did, and now, 1 year and ~2 months later, here we are, we have the custom tracks, and a way to design them. If he hadn't listened to my nagging/ridiculous requests, we wouldn't have custom tracks, because I sure wouldn't have been able to figure it out!

In the end, Chadderz hopes to make the SZS Modifier an open-source universal Nintendo game modifier. It can currently open many more file formats than it's designed to, and he's working on an entire re-design to improve how the entire application functions. It'll probably get a name change at that point, too, because it would seem innappropriate to keep calling it the SZS Modifier when it can modify a hell of a lot more. That, and he's also doing the Mario Kart Wii Course Creator. I don't know which one will come first.

Anyway, bottom line is Chadderz has a huge brain and I'm not sure how it stays inside his head. Keep up the good work, bro!

And to everyone here, I hope you enjoy our work!

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
its nice , but when you go look on the server ,, half of the stuff you dont even know where to put hlf of the stuff... guys should clean it up little ..

Ugothacked

OP
Trophies
Website
UgotHacked.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
djbubba2002 said:
its nice , but when you go look on the server ,, half of the stuff you dont even know where to put hlf of the stuff... guys should clean it up little ..
yes you are right, but you also got to know that you people are the ones doing this, all we ask of you when you post a patch is to please put in the original file name so we can know what to replace.

Ugothacked

OP
Trophies
Website
UgotHacked.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
vashgs said:
I'm confused. Does this only allow for flat levels?
No, you can do any level you want, it depends on when you do the drawings, the white is the highest, the darker it gets, the lower, but the black is not displayed. It also depends on the Y value settings when you import the model to the track, Choose the maximum and the minimum level you want. For example, In yoshi falls, the minimum Y level is -1836.5000 and the Maximum 1836.5000, the road would be at level 11404.8 because when Nintendo did this, if they were using the SZS modifier, they might had imported it in a really light shade of gray.

DWN-011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fred bloggs said:
Tried downloading a track and moding my ISO - the Wii just black screened when it tried to start the course....

What I did was download the Moo Moo Desert file then replaced the farm file in the Races folder....is this all you have to do ?

That happened to me the first time I made the changes, here's what you're going to do:

Open a Mario Kart Wii ISO file with WiiScrubber.
*Partition 1
*Race
*Course
1-Extract farm_courses.szs (NOT farm_courses_d.szs)
2-Open the SZS Modifier and press FILE -> OPEN, browse for "farm_courses.szs" and select it.
*3-On Patches, select "Browse patches on servers" and download the patch you want. (Skip this Step if you already have a szs patch file)
4-After downloading it, save it with any name, not over farm_courses.szs.
5-Now, click on Patches and Import Netsafe Patch, select the downloaded patch and it will apply itself automatically.
6-Press File and Save.
7-After patching and saving, go back to Wiiscrubber, select farm_courses.szs, right click and REPLACE, select the patched farm_courses.szs and it will apply itself.
8-Save the ISO, and try it out on your Wii or Dolphin.

fred bloggs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DWN-011 said:
fred bloggs said:

That happened to me the first time I made the changes, here's what you're going to do:

Open a Mario Kart Wii ISO file with WiiScrubber.
*Partition 1
*Race
*Course
1-Extract farm_courses.szs (NOT farm_courses_d.szs)
2-Open the SZS Modifier and press FILE -> OPEN, browse for "farm_courses.szs" and select it.
*3-On Patches, select "Browse patches on servers" and download the patch you want. (Skip this Step if you already have a szs patch file)
4-After downloading it, save it with any name, not over farm_courses.szs.
5-Now, click on Patches and Import Netsafe Patch, select the downloaded patch and it will apply itself automatically.
6-Press File and Save.
7-After patching and saving, go back to Wiiscrubber, select farm_courses.szs, right click and REPLACE, select the patched farm_courses.szs and it will apply itself.
8-Save the ISO, and try it out on your Wii or Dolphin.

Thanks but that's exactly what I did..... never mind I'll try again.

Ugothacked

OP
Trophies
Website
UgotHacked.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
bert02 said:
is there a way to load the maps from the sd or usb instead rather than having to patch the iso
What do yo mean by "maps"?
Well, the SZS Modifier has a USB gecko Option, what you can do with that is:
Go to Neo Gamma or Gecko OS. Mke sure USB gecko is connected to your wii and your computer, if not, the SZS modifier wont let you do anything. Once Connected, You may press "USB gecko in the main menu of the SZS modifier, and there will be another option saying "Connect" press it and the game loads. Go to any track you want, you can change textures, models, import a patch, any thing. What you replace on the computer will automatically change in the game, but it will not be saved if you press quit. you wold have to do it over again. That Option is mainly for testing textures, and models.

Edit: Riivolution might be able to do that, we just have to wait and see.

rem300wm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello to all
Probably What bert02 is refering is tha way Brawl+ does it,it saves the patches to the SD card and when You lunch the game with Gecko OS the patches get put in.
Correct me if i'am wrong.
Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1