Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuxPoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People wouldn't be happy if they just released it because it's basically useless at the moment anyway and eventually it'll flood online with cheaters. It'll be released eventually when it can be used for something productive. "delaying" doesn't mean "we're going to release it exactly the way we have it now, but in several months to be annoying", delaying means they still want to work on it before releasing anything. It's like asking a company to just release a half-finished game now instead of "taunting" people with trailers while they work on it.

I don't think your half finished game analogy is correct. It would be like having a team of 50 people work on the base engine of a game and get stuck on a single feature. One person figures out the feature, and refuses to let the rest of the team know how to do it so they can't continue to develop.

Also if they are afraid of being labeled as the people who enabled piracy, they could release it through anonymous channels. I don't expect a homebrew channel now, I just want all interested parties to be able to tinker further and not be hung up on a solved problem.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Do not worry Chadderz you have my support, I can wait for a well backed package for the Wii U. They only thing that I would change is my lack of re experience, which I am trying to work on.
Take as long as you need!

Edit:
I did not want this thread to make you feel like you needed to release this early, sorry if that is what happened.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think your half finished game analogy is correct. It would be like having a team of 50 people work on the base engine of a game and get stuck on a single feature. One person figures out the feature, and refuses to let the rest of the team know how to do it so they can't continue to develop.

Also if they are afraid of being labeled as the people who enabled piracy, they could release it through anonymous channels. I don't expect a homebrew channel now, I just want all interested parties to be able to tinker further and not be hung up on a solved problem.
They're not afraid of being labeled that, they don't want to cause cheating/piracy period, whether it can be traced back to them or not.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as hacking goes, I've only experienced one bit of odd behavior, where I would watch them fall off as I was passing them, then they popped up ahead of me in a few seconds. Which happened about 5 times while racing with that person. I'm assuming it was just latency issues, but it was still quite odd.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as hacking goes, I've only experienced one bit of odd behavior, where I would watch them fall off as I was passing them, then they popped up ahead of me in a few seconds. Which happened about 5 times while racing with that person. I'm assuming it was just latency issues, but it was still quite odd.

Nobody is hacking online right now. This is as far as anyone has gotten besides the original f0f team (as far as we know). If I remember the CCC presentation correctly comex gave up on a kernel exploit because marcan was able to dump the Starbuck OTP with the SREST/HREST attack. So you could say that we're on the cutting edge and new progress is finally being made.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody is hacking online right now. This is as far as anyone has gotten besides the original f0f team (as far as we know). If I remember the CCC presentation correctly comex gave up on a kernel exploit because marcan was able to dump the Starbuck OTP with the SREST/HREST attack. So you could say that we're on the cutting edge and new progress is finally being made.

That's good to know that what I came across was indeed lag induced. In which case, the way they handle lag is very annoying. It's hard to hit someone with a red shell if they keep disappearing and reappearing oddly.

Or like, just right now, I threw a bomb and captured the person ahead of me in the middle of the blast. But they kept driving like nothing hit them. Not really sure how you're suppose to play strategically if lag makes it impossible to know where anyone actually is.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have played Mario Kart Wii online a lot. Yes, I have found cheaters, but it is extremely rare. It is way over hyped and does not happen nearly as often user complain about it. It's kind of like the recent fire-hopping technique in Mario Kart 8. I have played online for many many hours, and so far I have only seen maybe 2 or 3 people fire hop.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
I can understand Bean's and Chadderz' point about not releasing this and not wanting to be responcible for online cheating very well.
In the video the wii u doesnt seem to be connected to the internet (you can see it on the warawara plaza). so was the browser exploit performed via xampp?
if so.. why not releasing the exploit with an application (PC/OS side) to create cheats and codes that only works via xampp and when no connectivity to the public web on the Wii U is being present? so, no online cheating would be possible. ofc the release should not be open source then
or would it be too dangerous that others find a way to use the kernel exploit for bad purpose..?

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Oh and I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, but only when there is proof. I also find it hard to believe that such a hack could work when all the server needs to do is not believe what the client sends them and do it server side. That way you could edit the client and make your screen say whatever you want but if it doesn't match server side it's not really there. If this kind of hacking was real that would the clients dictate the game play and server does nothing but share the info with other players(ie items, track position, etc) and have no control over the data. It is possible they did that to safe on computing power but I doubt it.

It would be like the server is deaf, blind and stupid, believing ever Tom, Dick, and Harry that it talked too. Just sounds unlikely that a server would not have counter measures.

Games are hosted P2P on consoles. That means one of the players in the host. ;)

You seriously need to edit your posts unless you want to get banned. You shouldn't talk to anyone like the way you are addressing us son. :/

"I have forgotten more the you will ever know... about everything" Is that something you want to brag about lol?

I can understand Bean's and Chadderz' point about not releasing this and not wanting to be responcible for online cheating very well.
In the video the wii u doesnt seem to be connected to the internet (you can see it on the warawara plaza). so was the browser exploit performed via xampp?
if so.. why not releasing the exploit with an application (PC/OS side) to create cheats and codes that only works via xampp and when no connectivity to the public web on the Wii U is being present? so, no online cheating would be possible. ofc the release should not be open source then

or would it be too dangerous that others find a way to use the kernel exploit for bad purpose..?

It's because it's on 4.1.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No. comex wrote a working (and reliable) black-box kernel exploit to dump kernel code, then that became moot work a few hours later (the black-box aspect) since I got the Espresso keys to decrypt the kernel (the encrypted kernel can be read from the filesystem without a kernel exploit), and thus any further exploits could be done white-box. The exploit was still valid, though later comex wrote a complete IOSU exploit that obsoleted the PPC kernel exploit (since exploiting kernel mode on IOSU means everything else is completely moot).

From where we got, the next step would be to get persistence working (think "untethered jailbreak" - something that allows the Wii U to load a hack on boot without having to use the browser every time), and possibly an exploit vector that doesn't involve the browser (e.g. a media-based exploit). Until someone gets to that point, and I mean no offense by this, I'm afraid you folks are just catching up to where we were 30 days after release.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. comex wrote a working (and reliable) black-box kernel exploit to dump kernel code, then that became moot work a few hours later (the black-box aspect) since I got the Espresso keys to decrypt the kernel (the encrypted kernel can be read from the filesystem without a kernel exploit), and thus any further exploits could be done white-box. The exploit was still valid, though later comex wrote a complete IOSU exploit that obsoleted the PPC kernel exploit (since exploiting kernel mode on IOSU means everything else is completely moot).

From where we got, the next step would be to get persistence working (think "untethered jailbreak" - something that allows the Wii U to load a hack on boot without having to use the browser every time), and possibly an exploit vector that doesn't involve the browser (e.g. a media-based exploit). Until someone gets to that point, and I mean no offense by this, I'm afraid you folks are just catching up to where we were 30 days after release.

Better late than never I guess... ;)

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't believe you guys ever stated if you did some hardware tricks along the way to a working exploit like:
fuzzing the usb ports
slowing the ppc chip down (externally)
"tweezering" the ram
etc

Also,I'm assuming you guys took virgin backup copies of launch day nand/emmc/and serial flash was there anything interesting hidden in there?

And finally given your quote "The Wii hardware has been either kept as-is or replaced with compatibility shims" do you consider what Chadderz and MrBean did trivial? or slightly impressive?

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First nice work! Hope to see some MK8 Tracks!

But What I laughin about in front of my PC is, everyone here state "Oh no Piracy is shit bla bla" but for real, they all working for the one Goal. I bet that for hundreds of dollars. Dunno why people are so "Silenced" about. Maybe worried about NSA *g*

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe you guys ever stated if you did some hardware tricks along the way to a working exploit like:
fuzzing the usb ports
slowing the ppc chip down (externally)
"tweezering" the ram
etc

Also,I'm assuming you guys took virgin backup copies of launch day nand/emmc/and serial flash was there anything interesting hidden in there?

And finally given your quote "The Wii hardware has been either kept as-is or replaced with compatibility shims" do you consider what Chadderz and MrBean did trivial? or slightly impressive?

I wouldn't bother, anything we do on our end will never be enough to placate/satisfy them.

google

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First nice work! Hope to see some MK8 Tracks!

But What I laughin about in front of my PC is, everyone here state "Oh no Piracy is shit bla bla" but for real, they all working for the one Goal. I bet that for hundreds of dollars. Dunno why people are so "Silenced" about. Maybe worried about NSA *g*

Well since the Wii U isn't really flying off the shelves and selling insane amounts of software, piracy this early would be very detrimental for the Wii U.

Even with increased hardware sales that would come as the result of a working "back-up hack" , Nintendo would be in an even deeper hole with the U...

So the longer it takes for piracy on the to spread on the U, more great games will (hopefully) be released for it...

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since the Wii U isn't really flying off the shelves and selling insane amounts of software, piracy this early would be very detrimental for the Wii U.

Even with increased hardware sales that would come as the result of a working "back-up hack" , Nintendo would be in an even deeper hole with the U...

So the longer it takes for piracy on the to spread on the U, more great games will (hopefully) be released for it...

Piracy would affect sales to a degree, but would not outright kill the console, that's a myth and never has single-handedly killed a console. Do your research before jumping to such conclusions.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Piracy isn't even possible with a PPC kernel exploit. You'd need IOSU access.

google

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy would affect sales to a degree, but would not outright kill the console, that's a myth and never has single-handedly killed a console. Do your research before jumping to such conclusions.
I didn't mean that it would kill the console, but since it no doubt is struggling, piracy would hurt it worse than it has hurt the 360 as an example...

Piracy isn't even possible with a PPC kernel exploit. You'd need IOSU access.
True, but I kinda got the idea that the original post I quoted, was hinting that piracy was "the one Goal"...

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Piracy on wiiu is reality... ode is around the. Corner... i hope a good homebrew base for wiiu. Gamez modz is very nice situation! We want the complete control of our hw. Company sell to us a locked hw, for control us action. (Damn! I cant use 360 broswer without live...). Hacker need to help user forr that situation!

Reactions: Margen67

WolfSaviorZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is going to happen regardless. There is money in producing a Drive Emulator so it's being released and nothing anyone says will stop it. Even if Nintendo finds a way to detect it, eventually it will work good enough that they won't. What could happen is if Homebrew took off correctly and Nintendo changed some of their horrible digital policies (locked to one console and if it breaks you are screwed, no cross-buy, overpriced compared to used physical copies) than I could see many just buying the games as long as Nintendo doesn't ban hacked consoles. Personally I prefer owning physical copies and backing them up but I own digital on PC/Xbox/Playstation due to the low prices and policies (as long as you wait a bit for the sales). I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride, should be fun. And back to the topic, this exploit looks really cool. Love to see custom Mario Kart 8 stuff even if most users can't use it. Will make nice youtube videos lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, though only sometimes when some people arent home
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honey he's playing gta again
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    WUT! Get my belt.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, but atleast i have the amazing spiderman and red dead redemption 1 too, they are more family friendly compared to GTA (i think)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If it's modded you always have everything
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My pc already has every ps3 game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it only has like 26 GB avaliable right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    GTAV is fine beating up hookers is OK, they don't mind!
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, uhhhhhhhhh how do I tell you i entered their club once?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just don't pick them up, and drive to a hidden location.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you do run them over and get your money back
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2,
    @BigOnYa a strip club
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The strip club you shoot up the hookers you pick up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You actually get to own that strip club, later in the game.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    After you shoot it up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm still pissed I had to pay for that game again, (3rd time) just to get the next gen(4k) update. It should be free. Typical Rockstar move tho.
    +1
    I live like walking distance to a strip club lol
    I should check it out some day
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you shouldnt, you may run into one of your long lost daughters you never knew you had.
    +2
    BigOnYa I had a modified version with texture mods and all kinds of goodies lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5g4kxs4UU&t=64s
    Me playing it like 4 years ago on a 2080 Ti lol
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +2
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then... +2