Mario Kart 64 HD, fan project texture pack, releases final trailer

Mario Kart 64 is still one of the most beloved entries in the Mario Kart franchise, with it being the first 3D entry in the series, and bringing a whole new slew of memorable courses and music to enjoy a good race with friends, or duke it out in Battle Mode.

While certainly Mario Kart 64 hasn't been the most hacked or modded entry in the series (with that honour being taken by Mario Kart Wii by a long shot), MK64 has still seen its fair share of modifications throughout the years, with some notorious ones being a 60fps hack by the boy181, a widescreen hack courtesy of gamemasterplc, and the recent Mario Kart 64 Amped Up, which features brand new tracks, and tracks from other franchises.

Alongside those great hacks and modifications, AndratVA has been working on an HD texture pack for Mario Kart 64 for almost 2 years, and the amount of work and dedication put into the project has been nothing short of outstanding. For those unaware, Mario Kart 64 uses prerendered sprites for the characters, and with that, Andrat and his team went to the extend of fully recreating the 3D models for each Mario Kart 64 character to make the new HD textures/graphics for all of them and their karts:

mariokarting.gif

Mario Kart 64 certainly takes on a whole new light and polish with this great project, and if you're interested in experiencing it yourself, you can easily grab the assets and play it through any N64 emulator and even Dolphin.

:arrow: GitHub Page

JesusOnSteroids

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm shooting for the stars here, but would it be possible to play this on a modded Wii running Not64? Or would the rom need to be recompiled with the new assets or something? I'm assuming the system doesn't have enough power but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I know I'm shooting for the stars here, but would it be possible to play this on a modded Wii running Not64? Or would the rom need to be recompiled with the new assets or something? I'm assuming the system doesn't have enough power but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
not64 doesnt support texture paks, wii64 rice does support texture paks but the textures are 3.3gb in size there is not way the wii even has ram to load a couple of those textures plus the emulator and the game...

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is amazing. I'm posting this to let everyone know that you can combine the mods cited in the OP with awesome results (except for Amped Up, for obvious reasons). I'm playing Mario Kart 64 at 4K, with HD textures, widescreen and 60FPS on my LG C1 and it's glorious!!! Thanks for everyone who contributed somehow. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4