Hacking MAJOR problem with R4DS!!!!!

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I have been struggling to get past this anti-piracy thing for weeks now and in the process I decided to delete everything and start over in case I had files in places they shouldnt be etc.

But now wherever I put the new 1.18 firmware I just keep getting the same message when trying to load up my R4 ... "could not find "DS_MENU.DAT"

I've placed that and everything else in the 1.18 folder in several places on my R4 so tried about 5 different combinations and I still keep getting the same message.

At present I would really like to just play my existing roms and probably buy games from now!

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since its been over a year since I bought my R4 from amazon I forgot where exactly to place the firmware on my R4.

Anyway these are the current files on my R4....

USRCHEAT.DAT
readme (SNEMULDS)
.nds and .sav files

I have the 1.18 firmware still on this computer so someone plase tell me where to place the files bcause my R4 disc and instructions are at home

Hope this helps, someone please help me asap!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Anyway these are the current files on my R4....

untitled (bitmap image)
USRCHEAT.DAT
file_id.diz
readme

Holy shit! That's never going to work. The files on the root of your R4 should be -

_system_ (folder)
moonshl (folder)
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

...and then all your .nds and .sav files.

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wellthe folder says english so yeah I presume iths the right one cause I live in England lol.

And yeah here are the combinations I have done.....

1. extract the whole "english v 1.18" folder (4 files) to "removable disk"
2. extract just ds_menu.dat to "removable disk", "system", "moonshell"
3. other combinations that dont work

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
okay since all 4 of those files are in the "English v 1.18" your saying extract th whole folder straight to "removable disk"

I assure you I still get the message "could not find DS_MENU.DAT"

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
open the "English v 1.18" folder
and you should see

_system_ (folder)
moonshl (folder)
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

copy

_system_ (folder)
moonshl (folder)
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

to the root of the SDcard

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
So yes when you have downloaded the files and unzipped them you should get an eng folder?!?!

So inside of the eng folder you want on the root of your folder as said above, you purchased over a year ago which means its probably genuine but check the forum to be sure!

A big tip though would be to purchase a new card as the R4 is old/out of date & a joke to most these days!

regards, paul

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive never had any problem with the R4 since I got it apart from trying to get the games with anti-piracy to work. Ive played over 50 roms on it before then.

Can you send a link to another english 1.18 and i'll try once more. Otherwise tell me a decent new flashcard to get and since Im buying I may as well get one with gba support and supports YSMENU

Posts merged

and why would i reformat my SD card when I have around 10 unfinished games , and the other 10 I dont wanna lose data

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
and why would i reformat my SD card when I have around 10 unfinished games , and the other 10 I dont wanna lose data

Back up any files you want to keep, obviously. And if you want a flashcart with GBA support it'll have to be a slot-2 device.

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
but I was playing my roms yesterday night and have been all week so your saying it got corrupt when i deleted the files?

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay I just looked in "my computer>removable disk"

There is a folder there that says English, and when I click on it there are the 4 files inside. Why am I still getting this message? Ive been sat in an internet cafe now for over an hour trying to get this to work

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 'English' folder should not be on your SD card. The contents of that folder should be placed directly onto the root of the SD card but not the folder itself.

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by "root"?

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I basically did this....

Opened up the english folder and highlighted the 4 files, them extracted them to "removable disk". Ive even extracted them 1 by 1 to the "removable disk"

Am I doing something wrong?

chamucost20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
nezkeys79 said:
Ive never had any problem with the R4 since I got it apart from trying to get the games with anti-piracy to work. Ive played over 50 roms on it before then.

Can you send a link to another english 1.18 and i'll try once more. Otherwise tell me a decent new flashcard to get and since Im buying I may as well get one with gba support and supports YSMENU

Posts merged

Do as Paul says, reformat your microSD card, but before you do that copy the files you need to backup to your hard drive, format the card and extract:
_system_ (folder)
moonshl (folder)
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

DIRECTLY into the microSD. As far as I know r4ds.cn is the only official site of the genuine R4, so try downloading your firmware from there. Once you've copied the firmware over, first test it to see if it worked, and if it did, just copy back your ROMs, saves and files back to your microSD.

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
okay I figured it out. I neede to copy th files back into the root. The extract option was automatically placing the english folder on the root.

Okay so now which method should I use to get dragon quest 5 and chrono trigger to work?

Clean rom + cheat file ?
Patching with arm7.bin ?

Posts merged

do I need to get rid of the usrcheat.dat file already on my card bfore i do anything?

chamucost20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would try with Clean ROM + Cheat first (as it is the easiest method)

Just my two cents
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.