Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With A9LH you should be safe unless Nintendo find a way around the FIRM protection.
But the safe way it to just wait a few hours and come here and check/
In order to circumvent it, it would cause high brick chances on all 3ds systems. It is modifying the way FIRMs work. They are asking for another 4.2 AKA the update that bricked Wii's of people that don't know the term "homebrew"

8bit-beard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You all are so fast with your responses. Thanks much for the info. Is it still best practice to update from Settings, as opposed to waiting for the popup? ... If this is too, "OMG RTFM" then never mind the question and I'll do more reading. :)

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In order to circumvent it, it would cause high brick chances on all 3ds systems. It is modifying the way FIRMs work. They are asking for another 4.2 AKA the update that bricked Wii's of people that don't know the term "homebrew"
What I meant is if Nintendo find a way around the FIRM protection AND is able to "fix" it without bricking the console. Otherwise they won't risk another 4.2
You all are so fast with your responses. Thanks much for the info. Is it still best practice to update from Settings, as opposed to waiting for the popup? ... If this is too, "OMG RTFM" then never mind the question and I'll do more reading. :)
AFAIK, yes.

Last edited by Redferne,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind. Better to do sys settings updates. And make NAND backups before any update.

Reactions: 8bit-beard

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I meant is if Nintendo find a way around the FIRM protection AND is able to "fix" it without bricking the console. Otherwise they won't risk another 4.2
True point. But it is said that they cannot patch it without new hardware and prolly an entirely new bootrom.

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True point. But it is said that they cannot patch it without new hardware and prolly an entirely new bootrom.
That is probably true for A9LH but not for the FIRM protection, remember the same way we find vulnerabilities in their software they might find one in ours (by ours I mean all the talented dev of the scene not me :P).

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is probably true for A9LH but not for the FIRM protection, remember the same way we find vulnerabilities in their software they might find one in ours (by ours I mean all the talented dev of the scene not me :P).
That is true. They only have to disable write protection (assuming you can do that in arm11). The rest is beyond me. If I was a little older and studied more about ARM execution, I would be able to give a definitive answer.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's what I just did:
I patched the arm9loaderhax.bin. In the command window I put in: arm9loaderhax
I deleted the existing arm9loaderhax.bin on my SD card and replaced it with this one.

Here's what's happening NOW:

DS Download Play: Hang on Black Screen
DS Wi-Fi settings: Hang on Black Screen
The following are RETAIL CARTRIDGES (not roms, not a flash card, etc)
WarioWare Touched!: "An Error has Occurred"
Super Mario 64 DS: "An Error has Occurred"
New Super Mario Bros: "An Error has Occurred"
Pokemon Black: Hangs on Black Screen.

There is nothing wrong with the cartridges as they work on both my DSi and non-modded new 3DS XL just fine.

Did I do something wrong?
Was I soposta leave the arm9loaderhax.bin alone, and just have the patched arm9loaderhax in a new folder, with a new name?

Before I did this, Super Mario 64 DS would hang on a black screen like Pokemon Black does now, so something changed.

It should be noted that Pokemon Black is a DSi enhanced game.

Based on what you're telling me, you left the ".bin" off of the filename. However, you don't need to patch it if you're planning to run Luma as your default A9LH payload. It's already set to look for itself as "arm9loaderhax.bin" after all. The only reason you change it is if you want to move it somewhere else, so you can use another chain loader to launch it. For the sake of keeping this short, let's just say I have a personal preference for BootCTR9, without going into why (they all do a decent job, but, it's the little things). So, I have BootCTR9 as my "arm9loaderhax.bin" file, which then loads Luma as a default from "a9lh/payloads/Luma3DS.bin".

Anyway, now you see how the system responds when the reboot patches aren't working. Though you could tell they were working before because GBA games ran. What you described before reminds me of the time I restored the wrong TWLN backup, but I was able to fix it with a complete SysNAND restore. Since all attempts to restore your TWLN partition have failed, it seems like there must be a block that's gone bad or something. If that is the case, reformatting the system might fix it, but I'm just guessing at this point. I'm no expert on the 3DS file systems. Maybe someone more familiar with these partitions, and the TWL system in particular, can help you, like TuxSH or d0k3. If this was a normal case of TWLN bricking, the attempts to restore the partition should have worked. Maybe one of those guys can come up with a way to build a working TWLN partition from scratch or something.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

AFAIK, yes.
That would require completely new hardware for them to do. The update from 10.7 to 11 proved that Nintendo can't patch out A9LH and that the protection works.
The only way for them to remove it, is for them to physically go to your house and remove it.
There's also no physical way for them to remove it without bricking your system because of the code used is console specific. Patching that code would require to be overwritten at boot level, which a system update can't do and still not be possible to do without bricking your system.

Ok, here's what I just did:
I patched the arm9loaderhax.bin. In the command window I put in: arm9loaderhax
I deleted the existing arm9loaderhax.bin on my SD card and replaced it with this one.

Here's what's happening NOW:

DS Download Play: Hang on Black Screen
DS Wi-Fi settings: Hang on Black Screen
The following are RETAIL CARTRIDGES (not roms, not a flash card, etc)
WarioWare Touched!: "An Error has Occurred"
Super Mario 64 DS: "An Error has Occurred"
New Super Mario Bros: "An Error has Occurred"
Pokemon Black: Hangs on Black Screen.

There is nothing wrong with the cartridges as they work on both my DSi and non-modded new 3DS XL just fine.

Did I do something wrong?
Was I soposta leave the arm9loaderhax.bin alone, and just have the patched arm9loaderhax in a new folder, with a new name?

Before I did this, Super Mario 64 DS would hang on a black screen like Pokemon Black does now, so something changed.

It should be noted that Pokemon Black is a DSi enhanced game.
It sounds like a payload issue. Why not make it easier and download a pre-patched payload from this site?
http://luma3ds.ericchu.net/
Or update using this app?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-starupdater-a-luma3ds-updater.427999/

Last edited by The Catboy,

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a question, purely from a technical point of view, would Luma (or any other CFW for that matter) have the possibility to redirect a file to be read from the SD-card instead of the NAND? I ask because I wondered if it might be possible for future CFWs to load certain custom files like .bcfnt font files from the SD-card. That way we could mod the HomeMenu on the fly without having to flash anything to the NAND. For the record I'm no dev and I know things are always much more complicated than it seems, I'm only asking out of technical-curiosity.

Last edited by SkyDX,

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Based on what you're telling me, you left the ".bin" off of the filename. However, you don't need to patch it if you're planning to run Luma as your default A9LH payload. It's already set to look for itself as "arm9loaderhax.bin" after all. The only reason you change it is if you want to move it somewhere else, so you can use another chain loader to launch it. For the sake of keeping this short, let's just say I have a personal preference for BootCTR9, without going into why (they all do a decent job, but, it's the little things). So, I have BootCTR9 as my "arm9loaderhax.bin" file, which then loads Luma as a default from "a9lh/payloads/Luma3DS.bin".

Anyway, now you see how the system responds when the reboot patches aren't working. Though you could tell they were working before because GBA games ran. What you described before reminds me of the time I restored the wrong TWLN backup, but I was able to fix it with a complete SysNAND restore. Since all attempts to restore your TWLN partition have failed, it seems like there must be a block that's gone bad or something. If that is the case, reformatting the system might fix it, but I'm just guessing at this point. I'm no expert on the 3DS file systems. Maybe someone more familiar with these partitions, and the TWL system in particular, can help you, like TuxSH or d0k3. If this was a normal case of TWLN bricking, the attempts to restore the partition should have worked. Maybe one of those guys can come up with a way to build a working TWLN partition from scratch or something.

I've done system formats before after installing Luma. In fact, it was one of the first things I tried.

I've tried:
Deleting specific installed titles pertaining do DS mode and running an update.
Restoring TWLN.bin from an earlier SYS_NAND.bin
TinyFormat format
System Menu Format System Memory
Patching the arm9loaderhax.bin

It's fine. I have my new3DS if I wanna play DS games. I have my DSi if I wanna use my Acekard2i. If my Acekard2i ever fails, there's always DesMuMe on my PC. I've done all the things that I can do, followed all the tutorials. I don't see how actually restoring my SYSNAND-Original.bin, then extracting the TWLN.bin then flashing back the my current SYSNAND.bin and injecting the TWLN.bin from the old one will fix anything if I already tried to do so using GodMode9 from a mounted SYSNAND.bin backup file.

As long as there isn't some annoying Anti-Piracy in Pokemon Sun and Moon when they get leaked, I'll be content.

Subhaan2703

Trophies
XP
Country
On part 5 of the guide where I restore sysnand from emunand original.bin and after i have done this i get a black screen (n3ds). i can access luma and hg9 though, any help?

Setsuna.F.Seiei

Trophies
XP
Country
In Part 5 Section 6 Part7...I can't boot into the CFW SysNAND..I tried it many times... eventhough I've restored the NAND and begin at start.... Plz help me.....

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Could someone please help me?
I have a N3DS with A9LH installed and a sysNAND 11.0
For some reason, I started having issues booting into sysnand today, it started hanging at the splash screen two times and other two times after the splash screen, but it was stil booting up.

Now all of the sudden, it has stopped booting at all.
The Luma/A9LH payloads are working just fine, all but Hourglass9 which prompts a Key X, Key Y Not Found and fails to initialize.
I can't recall doing anything that might fuck up booting up to sysnand.

All I did before that was:
  • Updated Decrypt9, Hourglass9 and SafeA9LH .bin files (updated HG9 because I was having the keys not found issue previously too). I also copied both arm9 and arm11 .bin files of SafeA9LH into the root directory.
  • Renamed the payloads to boot through the four directional buttons instead of X, Y, Start, etc.
  • Dumped FBI 2.3.1 (injected into H&S) and injected the newest FBI 2.3.3 into it.
After the last point, that's when I tried booting up into sysnand and... nothing, just a black screen.
I already did the following:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/w...n-sysnand-boot-after-installing-arm9loaderhax

At point 4, I press A and the console does turn off, so that means I am not bricked, but what is it then?!
I had the noscreen+screeninit newest A9LH commit (which merges both) working and my system could boot without the SD, but now it doesn't boot, not even without the SD inserted. :/

Please, please help me out! T-T

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

ThunderbInazuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Could someone please help me?
I have a N3DS with A9LH installed and a sysNAND 11.0
For some reason, I started having issues booting into sysnand today, it started hanging at the splash screen two times and other two times after the splash screen, but it was stil booting up.

Now all of the sudden, it has stopped booting at all.
The Luma/A9LH payloads are working just fine, all but Hourglass9 which prompts a Key X, Key Y Not Found and fails to initialize.
I can't recall doing anything that might fuck up booting up to sysnand.

All I did before that was:
  • Updated Decrypt9, Hourglass9 and SafeA9LH .bin files (updated HG9 because I was having the keys not found issue previously too). I also copied both arm9 and arm11 .bin files of SafeA9LH into the root directory.
  • Renamed the payloads to boot through the four directional buttons instead of X, Y, Start, etc.
  • Dumped FBI 2.3.1 (injected into H&S) and injected the newest FBI 2.3.3 into it.
After the last point, that's when I tried booting up into sysnand and... nothing, just a black screen.
I already did the following:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/w...n-sysnand-boot-after-installing-arm9loaderhax

At point 4, I press A and the console does turn off, so that means I am not bricked, but what is it then?!
I had the noscreen+screeninit newest A9LH commit (which merges both) working and my system could boot without the SD, but now it doesn't boot, not even without the SD inserted. :/

Please, please help me out! T-T

Put this on the SD Root and see if the Key X, Key Y problem stills stay there.
https://mega.nz/#!lhMnnDRJ!1ss7wJNU6ep02nCzEBHLytZd6he79UAnvq7G9hzL2uk

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Try delete the Config.bin that is on the Luma folder
I already tried that.
It's the first point the Troubleshooting page.
I alreayd went through all points in that page and still nothing. :/
However, apparently the guide says that if at Step 4 the 3DS reboots when I press A, then I'm not bricked, and that's what I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3