Hacking Luma .bin Chainloading?

Goldgolem878

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to follow this to get Linux on my 3ds

I have the bin that I need to chainload in (root)/luma/payloads but I can't figure out how to boot it. Holding start on power on boots up god mode when that .firm file is there and when it's not it just boots normally when holding start, not into a selection (godmode is not named to the start button in the file name). Renaming the .bin to other buttons doesn't do anything. I think Luma's chainloader can only do firm booting so how do I load my .bin? I don't think the person in the video is using Luma and I don't know what menu he got when he held R on power on at 3:00.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
That video is like most video guides, though this one's 2016 very outdated. Simplest way to install Linux should be just install "Linux for 3DS" from Universal-Updater, that should automatically download and set up the necessary files including the FIRM needed to boot it. Then just load the FIRM it installs from the Luma chainloader.

Edit: Wait I checked and it's slightly more complicated than one click install, might be able to rewrite that to a simple single script but for the moment at least I think you just want to install arm9linuxfw.bin, firm_linux_loader.firm, and zImage, then either nintendo3ds_ctr.dtb or nintendo3ds_ktr.dtb depending on if you're on an old 3DS or "New" 3DS respectively. Then load firm_linux_loader.firm from the Luma chainloader.

Goldgolem878

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait I checked and it's slightly more complicated than one click install, might be able to rewrite that to a simple single script but for the moment at least I think you just want to install arm9linuxfw.bin, firm_linux_loader.firm, and zImage, then either nintendo3ds_ctr.dtb or nintendo3ds_ktr.dtb depending on if you're on an old 3DS or "New" 3DS respectively. Then load firm_linux_loader.firm from the Luma chainloader.
Where does the arm9linuxfw.bin go? It says it boots it into memory like the rest of them so I have it in (root)/linux/arch/arm/boot along with the 2 dtb files and the zimage file like it said, though it never said to put it there. When I load up the firm it doesn't work. I'm not sure if I had to generate or build any files on my pc, (I don't understand github much other than just getting some stuff from it) I've just downloaded the dependencies, placed them in the files, and ran the firm from (root)/luma/payloads, 99% chance I just don't know what I'm doing lol

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Where does the arm9linuxfw.bin go? It says it boots it into memory like the rest of them so I have it in (root)/linux/arch/arm/boot along with the 2 dtb files and the zimage file like it said, though it never said to put it there. When I load up the firm it doesn't work. I'm not sure if I had to generate or build any files on my pc, (I don't understand github much other than just getting some stuff from it) I've just downloaded the dependencies, placed them in the files, and ran the firm from (root)/luma/payloads, 99% chance I just don't know what I'm doing lol
If you use Universal-Updater it'll put them in the right places automatically, otherwise just checked UU's script and looks like everything except the FIRM simply goes in sdmc:/linux/.

Goldgolem878

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use Universal-Updater it'll put them in the right places automatically, otherwise just checked UU's script and looks like everything except the FIRM simply goes in sdmc:/linux/.
Putting the files there worked (thanks btw), but got any Ideas for getting the graphical environment working? I can login with root user but the wiki ((github) /linux-3ds/linux/wiki) doesn't help past there. Following tutorials doesn't work either, typing "/" says permission denied and without that I don't think I can mount the sd with "sdmount.sd" without it giving a "not found", trying to start the environment without it with "/start-weston.sh" also gives a "not found" so idk if it's changed with an update (maybe, though the wiki didn't help) or if I'm missing files from manually downloading the dependencies, I haven't used universal updater before but I'll try that when I wake up.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Putting the files there worked (thanks btw), but got any Ideas for getting the graphical environment working? I can login with root user but the wiki ((github) /linux-3ds/linux/wiki) doesn't help past there. Following tutorials doesn't work either, typing "/" says permission denied and without that I don't think I can mount the sd with "sdmount.sd" without it giving a "not found", trying to start the environment without it with "/start-weston.sh" also gives a "not found" so idk if it's changed with an update (maybe, though the wiki didn't help) or if I'm missing files from manually downloading the dependencies, I haven't used universal updater before but I'll try that when I wake up.
Afraid I'm not really sure how to actually use it, I haven't used it much. Could try asking in the #3ds-linux channel of the GodMode9 Discord (or #3ds-linux on libera.chat) maybe? I think that's the main place for its development.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer