Hardware Louvre Custom 3DS XL

megatallica

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What happens if you put the CTR boot card in a regular 3ds? Try playing it from the home menu and booting the unit up with the card inside.

Its not recognized by the system

It could be that there's a code in the 3DS bootrom which causes it to autoboot certain title ID's and bypass regular firmware. If this was the case, it would be possible to sell an identical cart which loads FW from an SD card, which would be amazing.

Thats Exactly what I was thinking, especially if the rom to enable the boot card was just a simple function that can be flashed to a normal rom. First step is to determine if the louvre firmware can be altered.

1. He has, he said it didn't work.
2. Maybe he will, but talking about it is walking the line of what is acceptable according to the forum rules.
3. It will be per console encrypted and totally useless (I suspect the same of the SD contents)

This is sort of why im avoiding dumping the contents, I am tip toeing at this point trying not to get in trouble.

yeah tbh without some sort of new hack i dont think there will be much people can do with this, as he cant run retail games so CN/OOT exploits are out of the picture, and SD contents and NAND would need to be decrypted, which he can't do without some sort of hack to be able to decrypt them.......that being said i would love to get hold of something like that....i wonder if there is any way to access the browser......i think we need louvrehax to be developed XD

but tbh even if the console nand was decrypted and nand contents decrypted it would still likely only be any good for making clone louvre consoles out of standard retail consoles (if your into that sort of thing)

i guess at the least he could see what titles are installed on the SD card by going to x:/nintendo 3DS/***********/***********/title/ and listing the contents

Thats what I was planning, however I should mention there is no Nintendo 3ds folder

heres a paste bin for anyone interested

http://pastebin.com/A9JQfGKD

Ive also started contacting professional 3ds hackers

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thats what I was planning, however I should mention there is no Nintendo 3ds folder

heres a paste bin for anyone interested

http://pastebin.com/A9JQfGKD

Ive also started contacting professional 3ds hackers
hmmm interesting it kind of looks like thats what would normally be the contents of romfs placed on the SD card, probably so they can push their own updates manually without submitting them to nintendo and having to wait to get the update from nintendo, still all very interesting, .......kinda wondering what the cia files contain, although from the looks of it its most likely a custom dev unit so they wouldn't be installable on a retail console

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
hmmm interesting it kind of looks like thats what would normally be the contents of romfs placed on the SD card, probably so they can push their own updates manually without submitting them to nintendo and having to wait to get the update from nintendo, still all very interesting, .......kinda wondering what the cia files contain, although from the looks of it its most likely a custom dev unit so they wouldn't be installable on a retail console

It's definitely running some kind of customized OS, it totally depends on the SD card to even boot up. But I'm not really sure what this could mean for a regular unit, if anything.
OP, could you try to install those CIA's on a regular unit and post back results?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's definitely running some kind of customized OS, it totally depends on the SD card to even boot up. But I'm not really sure what this could mean for a regular unit, if anything.
OP, could you try to install those CIA's on a regular unit and post back results?
yeah im actually thinking the error it throws when the SD is not inserted is just because the cart actually looks to load the equivalent of the romfs contents from the SD card

i suppose one thing that could be tried to pretty much rule out its any sort of custom retail unit would be to test one of the auto booting demo carts, but basically i think the actual SD is not as significant as the console and cart, the only reason it doesn't work with no SD is that the game looks to load files from the SD card and its the game displaying the error when it cant load those files, if there was another devcart that also loaded in the system but doesn't require files from the SD card i assume that it would load up fine without the SD card, i guess it not booting without the cart inserted is as it simply has no homescreen installed to it

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i wonder why they get the trouble of using a 3ds cart... they couldnt just modify the firmware to load the sd card or something.. or a normal console with a diferent\custom louvre on it...

also... they didnt used glue in either cards or modified the sd slot.. i am the only one that would repeatedly play with the card insertion\removal? xD

also if someone could run away with a console, what prevents everyone from stealing the sd card?
come on, i rent it for 5 euros, then get a 32gb card as a gift!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i wonder why they get the trouble of using a 3ds cart... they couldnt just modify the firmware to load the sd card or something.. or a normal console with a diferent\custom louvre on it...

also... they didnt used glue in either cards or modified the sd slot.. i am the only one that would repeatedly play with the card insertion\removal? xD

also if someone could run away with a console, what prevents everyone from stealing the sd card?
come on, i rent it for 5 euros, then get a 32gb card as a gift!
from here http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/touring-the-louvre-with-a-3ds/
I'm not sure if the tour used the same tech behind the 3DS's StreetPass connection, or just plain Wi-Fi, as I walked around the Louvre, but I do know this: It knew where I was. The installed cartridge (and by installed, I mean it's screwed into the unit with a custom fitting) opens up with a quick instruction sequence, and then spreads a map of the entire gigantic museum in front of you on the touchscreen. It constantly centers in on wherever you go, offering up audio insights and commentary on any works that happen to be around you.

this unit was most likely slipped out by a member of staff or some brazen fool who thought he was getting an actual usable 3ds, none the less these types of things are usually inside some sort of frame to stop the kinds of people who would steal anything that's not screwed down, same as in shop demo consoles, where some sad soul has often snapped the wire to run off with a bloody stylus even

Reactions: migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
from here http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/touring-the-louvre-with-a-3ds/

this unit was most likely slipped out by a member of staff or some brazen fool who thought he was getting an actual usable 3ds, none the less these types of things are usually inside some sort of frame to stop the kinds of people who would steal anything that's not screwed down, same as in shop demo consoles, where some sad soul has often snapped the wire to run off with a bloody stylus even

it is odd that on the video it looks exatly like a normal 3ds, thought the card was not screwed nor glued, cuz he just removed it and looks like a normal cart

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it is odd that on the video it looks exatly like a normal 3ds, thought the card was not screwed nor glued, cuz he just removed it and looks like a normal cart
yeah its usually just a metal/plastic frame that covers all the ports etc screwed to the console, if it was a member of staff who took it they probably just took the shell of and walked out with it, or if a member of the public took it,m they probably snapped/cut the frame off so they could try a normal game in it hoping to sell it off as a normal 3DS

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, if I lived in France, I'd rent it then say I lost it, and pay the replacement fee, just to get that 3DS. Worth it just to examine how it works.

lPolarisl

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Now that region-free is more accessible, could you try re-booting the card on a normal 3DS with region-free, OP ?

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
since this is meant for a specific application and not running any game in general, it might actually be more secure than a regular unit ;)
Or maybe not :P
Since this should only be available to the louvre, and is a custom build os just to be able to play that louvre-program, they thought to ditch all the security shit, since they won't make any money off it if people couldn't pirate on it (since it doesn't play games)

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had read articles on these long time ago, didn't these work primarily from data sent via wifi? IIRC they used these both in the Louvre and in a ball park or two. Have you tried accessing it (although it would be limited) as a secondary receiving unit for a multiplayer game? or through any other wifi method? Just to see it's response...it MIGHT be that these are in fact dependent on some other data being pushed via lan network to it first.

According to the article, (IIRC) they were handed out before a tour, and each person chose their language, the guide acted as an interpreter with additional info. on top of what the guide person told them, also they could customize their tour.. but the addition was in their native tongue via the 3ds. I'm sure the [original] article is still available somewhere on the net via google.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can