Hacking Looking to homebrew my Xbox 360 but not sure what to do?

MrClifford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm looking into software modding so that I can play modded games on my 360, I've determined that I have a phat 360 with a jasper board, my Dashboard is 2.0.17349 and the disk drive is a Philips Lite-on.
I don't have the equipment to do any physical hardware mods, and it's not easy to get them atm with lockdown going on outside. If possible I'd prefer not to do any soldering, but which method should I choose?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Homebrew (ie anything that's not sufficiently accurate copies of discs, or of course original discs) means you need some form of RGH, which yes requires a chip (in fact it requires two pieces of hardware to solder on, even though one is a programmer you don't need to leave in and can reuse/sell afterwards)

Even the JTAG method (which would require a console that has never been updated since 2007 or so - yours isn't), which doesn't require a chip, still requires use of a programmer

MrClifford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Homebrew (ie anything that's not sufficiently accurate copies of discs, or of course original discs) means you need some form of RGH, which yes requires a chip (in fact it requires two pieces of hardware to solder on, even though one is a programmer you don't need to leave in and can reuse/sell afterwards)

Even the JTAG method (which would require a console that has never been updated since 2007 or so - yours isn't), which doesn't require a chip, still requires use of a programmer

What do you mean by a programmer?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What do you mean by a programmer?
RGH works by having a chip disturb the processor at just the right time to skip the verification that would block a modified operating system; however it's pointless if you don't first install such a modified one, which is what the programmer is used for :)

(It's stored on an internal 16 MB SPI chip - remember that the HDD is technically optional)

MrClifford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RGH works by having a chip disturb the processor at just the right time to skip the verification that would block a modified operating system; however it's pointless if you don't first install such a modified one, which is what the programmer is used for :)

(It's stored on an internal 16 MB SPI chip - remember that the HDD is technically optional)

Okay, that makes sense. Any advice on which modding method I should be using?

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RGH but unless you're good at soddering don't try it yourself. I have someone RGHing a 2nd Xbox 360 of mine right now for $45 that includes shipping which is a great deal. If you're interested it's https://sn00wconsoles.com/ but it's better to join their discord and talk to them directly talk to swag.

Edit: you're in UK so the prices may be different but there is a UK guy on there too. Or you could look elsewhere up to you.

But keep in mind RGH = no Xbox Live. There are some servers setup to play games like Halo and Call of Duty but they're not Live.

Last edited by Jayinem81,

MrClifford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay sure thanks for the advice, I'm not bothered about Xbox Live, I only use my Xbox for platformers and some old kart racers, so online play isn't needed.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay sure thanks for the advice, I'm not bothered about Xbox Live, I only use my Xbox for platformers and some old kart racers, so online play isn't needed.

This is getting off subject but could I ask what Kart racers? I just got a steering wheel for 360 and PC recently and I'm adding as many racers as possible.

MrClifford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is getting off subject but could I ask what Kart racers? I just got a steering wheel for 360 and PC recently and I'm adding as many racers as possible.
For the Xbox I really recommend the Sonic And Sega series by Sumo digital, they're really good kart racers, I hear the second one still has an online seen too

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah I got those got to try them with my wheel, pretty fun. With Mayflash adapters I've already gotten the wheel to work on Playstation 3, Wii U and Switch, and I'm buying another adapter for Xbox one for the newer Forza games. I also got sharing hubs coming so I can have it hooked up to all at the same time lol and be able to play with the wheel on any of those systems with one button that switches to any of those systems that I have on it's gonna be awesome.

Last edited by Jayinem81,

MrClifford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah I got those got to try them with my wheel, pretty fun. With Mayflash adapters I've already gotten the wheel to work on Playstation 3, Wii U and Switch, and I'm buying another adapter for Xbox one for the newer Forza games. I also got sharing hubs coming so I can have it hooked up to all at the same time lol and be able to play with the wheel on any of those systems with one button that switches to any of those systems that I have on it's gonna be awesome.

Nice sounds like fun, I'm considering a HDMI switcher to make switching consoles faster myself, don't like having to pull out cables so often

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah you could can get one of those on amazon for $10-$15usd don't know the conversion rate but it shouldn't be much. I got one myself it has 3 ports hooked up to 3 consoles and it auto switches to the console you turn on just like having extra HDMI ports on your TV.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normaly U can JTAG or RGH a Console, its up to Version and the Desktop of the XBOX 360. I only prefer if u RGH your console with a chip, buy one like the coolrunner with instant boot. Also when its more expensive. The Problem with the cheaper like Ace Chips is, they take longtime to boot and they dont get it everytime. It dont makes fun i u riddle everytime, your Xbox boots up or not. I payed about 45€ completely with changing HDD ( 2TB i bougth myself and send with) and delivery.
www.consolewizard.co.uk/blog/xbox-360-rgh-jtag-explained-n13 for some infos.

After Information of Members, there are NO working Softmod for X360. There are only Fake and infected with malware.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Maybe u can Softmod your XBox 360, i just read about it but never did it. Normaly U can JTAG or RGH a Console, its up to Version and the Desktop of the XBOX 360. I only prefer if u RGH your console with a chip, buy one like the coolrunner with instant boot. Also when its more expensive. The Problem with the cheaper like Ace Chips is, they take longtime to boot and they dont get it everytime. It dont makes fun i u riddle everytime, your Xbox boots up or not. I payed about 45€ completely with changing HDD ( 2TB i bougth myself and send with) and delivery.
www.consolewizard.co.uk/blog/xbox-360-rgh-jtag-explained-n13 for some infos.

There is no Xbox 360 softmod, no USB jtag, no USB rgh, they are all viruses, the only way to run homebrew is via a hardware mod, otherwise buy a Sony or Nintendo console for softmodding, if you just want to play games you can just flash the DVD drive or get a DVD drive emulator, you can take jtags,devkits, and rgh online via a stealth server, but they cost 10x the price of normal Xbox live

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::lol::rofl::rofl2: