Living at home

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm not proud of it but I'm 32 and moved back in with my mom only 3 months ago, here in New York getting your own place is far from easy. A studio goes for at least $900 - $1000 easy and that's without utilities. I'm also disabled but I try to not use that as a crutch, I help around the house by cleaning, paying rent, buying food, etc etc etc. Getting a job is just as hard as getting your own place, over 500 teachers just got laid off last week, prices are always going up, mass transit fares are going up, so yeah it is pretty hard now than it was back then. Because of the troubles I'm having in life I made sure to start putting whatever money aside for my daughter. (I started saving for her 4 months before she was born) Of course I had to cut corners but knowing she'll have a nice chunk of money when she turns 21 is nice to know. Life is tough let no one tell you any different.

Reactions: 1 person

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I talk to a lot of older people from bigger companies because of my job working at a promotional company (its those logos and taglines you see on your mugs, pens, shirts, etc). I get this look (or that "oh..." response) and they direct the next part of the conversation that I don't have the motivation drive to be more independent as they did. Some reactions are like "OMG you are at home and AT that AGE?!" and the other reactions is like I'm someone from a third world country and the conversation shifts into talking to me like I'm an idiot. Seriously? The beep is wrong with some people. Just don't get some people o.O They must have some ego overload. At times people can be so condescending or they are completely ignorant because of social status/class differences.

If you intend to continue playing the marketing game there are two abilities worth having
1) The ability to lie
2) The ability to direct a conversation (better if you are not OK with lying) or lead people to a conclusion- spent a night in a hotel for work (or in general)? If so then "hotel rooms, company flats and such are my gig right now", "life at present is a series of hotel rooms" or "if I can avoid seeing another hotel room for a while it will be a good thing" the latter of which may well not be a lie in the slightest and those that give a damn will usually fill in the blanks as "travelling salesman". Bonus is if you are actually doing something like that and your parents are not likely to move having them as a registered address is usually a good idea anyway (paying for a PO box is a pain and less than ideal for some things much less renting somewhere you never really see).

It sounds somewhat like people are doing 2) on you and as such indirectly questioning your company/services; it is a variation on trusting a mechanic without a car or trusting a skinny chef for whilst marketing is not looked upon with great affection nobody will give the time of day to an unassertive/unmotivated marketing type.

I understand where you are getting at. Leading people to assume with whatever small detail I may say about my situation. It's a cheeky thing. I'll make a mental note of it. Reminds me of law and debates.
However I don't think my job is what you are imagining it to be.
I mainly deal with quotes, admin stuff with storeman duties. My company provides a service to promote other companies by supplying the item and logo as the client desires. I'm not selling them like a salesman. The companies who buy from us pick what they want from the website or catalogs we provide and they just say they want this, this and this, and the its done over the course of two-three weeks. You could imagine it to being in a restaurant and you picking how you would like your steak cooked. That kind of concept if that makes sense.
I don't plan to work there for a long time because I'm not into the whole marketing, financial, corporate sectors. Never liked the whole backstabbing and every man for yourself concept lol

Previous experiences, I'd rather not lie. Getting caught out especially in that sector leads to bad things. Plus it helps weed out which pricks to look out for :) But thanks for explaining that. Makes me think now if that's what they are doing, their outlook doesn't seem good.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
You could imagine it to being in a restaurant and you picking how you would like your steak cooked.

I wouldn't mind some tips on this is you have any. I must have a strange accent because no matter where I go in the world, the words "Rare" and "Blue" seem to sound to everybody else like "Medium to Well Done"

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Live at home still. Don't care what people think. London is expensive. It's either live at home, have money to spend or live in an awful area, in some horrible tiny flat and end up with no money to spend.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The plan for me is to move out when I can afford it. If I get a job placement I will more than likely move out for the year just for the true "uni life" experience, but after that will return home for as long as necessary.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm still a student and I live within 10 kilometers of my school, so I cycle to it from my parents house ;p
When I get a job, I plan to stay one year longer in their home and then move out (having made a little buffer, for unexpected stuff)

At least that's the plan.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got kicked out when I was 15, so I wouldn't know. But envy most folks who have parents willing to let them stick around for a while. If you can finish school and all that, more power to you. And bless your folks for making space for you.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
moved out
lived on own for 6 months
very boring and wasnt allowed to get a cat (dam rented places)
decided to move back and propose to parents that expand currunt home to make even bigger
was agreed and now they have a nice big house that we have our own parts and basically share a large kitchen and lounge
cats much happyier when i moved back
GF moving in too in a few weeks
much happyier overall

4-leaf-clover

SHSL LUCKSTER :/
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well i live on my own for a couple months now..
Though after a while you start missing that cozy feeling that you had back home.
So every 3 weeks i go back to my parents for a week , Play video games with my lil bro, And getting a home cooked meal,
Way better Instead of eating instant ramen and fast food everyday.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These days living with your parents is pretty much required unless you want to live in a shithole with 5 other people with little excess income.

People envy the crap out of me for being able to live with my parents whenever I tell 'em. Only idiots consider it bad.
While you're going to school and/or saving up money, living with your parents is ideal to greatly reduce money strain.

Reactions: 4 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A recurring theme seems to be food and although both my parents are awesome cooks and I would rock up any time for dinner (primarily as I am a lazy cook and can barely be bothered to put a basic top on a pie if I made one where they are less lazy than I) it seems some of you could stand to learn to work a kitchen- cooking basic tasty stuff* is quite easy and cheap as you like if you do it right (far cheaper than instant noodles and frozen pizza let alone fast food) and it only gets troublesome when you have to start cooking for 10 or so people with slightly different tastes. The three pro tips would be cook
1) Pasta- learn to cook it al dente and carry on from there
2) A wok- cooks almost everything bloody quickly with no real washing up
3) Some spices- adds variety to anything.

*perhaps more importantly it is a damn sight healthier which if you are living on freezer food, noodles and fast food you will notice the effects of moving away from in about two to three weeks.

@Pleng although I am very much of the "my steak- I want it to still have a pulse" persuasion I have not seen much meat in recent years I would have blue and I make it a point to know where a good butcher is wherever I happen to be. Secondly and for the rare side of things there is probably a bunch of health and safety nonsense to deal with; a few people have got food poisoning which although it happens should a phone call be placed to the restaurant to say "sort it out next time" the result more often than not is serious food baskets, flowers, some nice booze and the immediate reversal of charges for the meal with the understanding you will not take it further. I will give you that it is slightly odd as most places will still give you something with a bit of pink to it.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
cooking basic tasty stuff* is quite easy and cheap as you like if you do it right (far cheaper than instant noodles and frozen pizza let alone fast food)
*perhaps more importantly it is a damn sight healthier which if you are living on freezer food, noodles and fast food you will notice the effects of moving away from in about two to three weeks.

I'm with you on the healthy thing. But there's no way you can cook a decent meal for the same price as a pack of turkey burgers and bread rolls fron Iceland (for those of you not in the UK, Iceland is a supermarket chain there!)! It doesn't have to be massively more expensive, but certainly not cheaper.

When I was living by myself in the UK I was very much trying to find the balance. I can cook, and do it reasonably well (3-star let's say!), but it gets boring cooking for yourself. And when you start cooking for others, which is much more pleasurable (especially if its for chicks!), it starts getting more expensive. I never did manage to get the balance right between eating decent, home cooked food, and having a bit more 'me time' and shitty prepared products.

Luckily, it's not something I have to deal with anymore! :D

@Pleng although I am very much of the "my steak- I want it to still have a pulse" persuasion I have not seen much meat in recent years I would have blue and I make it a point to know where a good butcher is wherever I happen to be. Secondly and for the rare side of things there is probably a bunch of health and safety nonsense to deal with; a few people have got food poisoning which although it happens should a phone call be placed to the restaurant to say "sort it out next time" the result more often than not is serious food baskets, flowers, some nice booze and the immediate reversal of charges for the meal with the understanding you will not take it further. I will give you that it is slightly odd as most places will still give you something with a bit of pink to it.

Well there's no legislation against serving steak rare, and due to the way bacteria interact with red meat, there's no more risk of getting food poisoning from a blue steak than there is from a well done one.

Where I am now, though, health and safety is virtually unheard of, and no restaurant owner is likely to be intimidated by threats of bad press, so it's definitely not that. It's more of an understanding thing, as steak isn't an indigenous dish here. Not that I have it that often anyway, but when I do, I like it blue!

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
My brother is 21 and he isn't moving anytime soon. My sister on the other hand who's 19 travels a lot, usually with her boyfriend, and might even move to Japan for a year or two to keep studying art.

I'm still young so I wouldn't know anything about it but I don't think it's embarrassing to live with your parents in your 20s at all. Heck, most people are still going to school by then.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually yeah I did not think of the iceland/farmfoods specials- I was thinking more the £4/5 frozen pizza/stick it in the oven and choke it down stuff that most people I see trying to eat at home that will claim they can not cook try to exist on. I might even give you for a single person buying effectively one meal at a time it is cheaper but start putting in a decent shop and/or having to cook for two people and that drops off so quickly. I normally would add up the cost of my meal this evening but the supermarket was practically giving away lamb liver last night so that is probably not as fair as it could be and supermarket water chicken was pretty expensive when I looked (£3 for 3 so so chicken supremes).

As for legislation maybe but if the food people get called in (and not so many people know the underlying science so they will call people in and where I agree on steak alone from what I understand it is usually the preparation that gets people caught out- your steak might be fine but your salad less so) and even if you are completely exonerated it might take a week and that can kill a restaurant by itself let alone potential trade drop off from the "no smoke without fire" crowd and it very much becomes a case of "I see we were called in before" if it should happen again. This said by all means have a word if you ask for a bit of pink and get some shoe leather in response as that should not be what goes.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Actually yeah I did not think of the iceland/farmfoods specials- I was thinking more the £4/5 frozen pizza/stick it in the oven and choke it down stuff that most people I see trying to eat at home that will claim they can not cook try to exist on. I might even give you for a single person buying effectively one meal at a time it is cheaper but start putting in a decent shop and/or having to cook for two people and that drops off so quickly. I normally would add up the cost of my meal this evening but the supermarket was practically giving away lamb liver last night so that is probably not as fair as it could be and supermarket water chicken was pretty expensive when I looked (£3 for 3 so so chicken supremes).

Yea as soon as there's two of you the price gap between frozens and carefully planned home cooked meals greatly reduces.

As for spending £4-5 on a frozen Pizza I just wonder why! They taste just as fowl as the £2 jobbies! :D

As for legislation maybe but if the food people get called in (and not so many people know the underlying science so they will call people in and where I agree on steak alone from what I understand it is usually the preparation that gets people caught out- your steak might be fine but your salad less so) and even if you are completely exonerated it might take a week and that can kill a restaurant by itself let alone potential trade drop off from the "no smoke without fire" crowd and it very much becomes a case of "I see we were called in before" if it should happen again. This said by all means have a word if you ask for a bit of pink and get some shoe leather in response as that should not be what goes.

True, true. Not an issue where I am. There's no health and safety, and if a customer tried any kind of slur campaign on a business they'd soon find themselves dealt with! And I still don't get my steak rare! :P

wafflebeard

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
23 and living at home. I work and put as much money as I can toward paying off my student loans and saving up to get out on my own. living at home has definite advantages and is way cheaper but I really want to have my own place. I miss the independence I experienced in college while living in an apartment with a couple friends. I need to save more and try to find a better job...

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Posting only after reading the OP.

I think that really, now it is nothing for even a thirty year old to stay at home with family.
I see nothing wrong with it, but at the same time it sounds like something that isn't right.
Though I plan to move out as soon as I have my finances all stable and all, though I am still in school it is my last term.

Anyway back on topic, it isn't that bad. Hell it ain't bad at all

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC the average current person stays at home till they're 26, and the average debt for those persons is ~$30,000 (USD).
Shit sucks man. Personally, I'm tired of the "its the economy" excuse in the job market, it seems to me like its more of a cop out nowadays for "I'm a greedy shithead, and I'm ok with this".

Actinopterygian Melospiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see a problem with living with your parents, but I think some people that do it are kinda lazy(it depends on the circumstances). My bro dropped out of high school, moved out, and got his GED when he was 16 and never had any problems supporting himself. I technically still lived at home before I graduated high school, but I spent most of my time crashing at other people's houses and buying my own food from about age 15-16. I moved to a new city as soon as I graduated and too have been able to support myself without problems. I don't have a credit card, and therefor no debt. I grew up somewhat poor so I'm pretty used to living simply and working to get what I need, and am perfectly happy doing so.

This is just speculation, but I think the more well off you grow up the harder it is to move away because you're used to a higher standard of living, especially if you didn't have to work to get the things you wanted. The way I see it living off of little is only hard if you want a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1