Hacking Lite or DSi?

MisterKilroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright...forgive my newness. Newbiness. Newbism. Anyway. If this is something that is often discussed, I'll hit the delete button for this thread (I'm assuming there is one...) without hesitation.

I've recently purchased a flash cart (AceKard 2i) and I'm looking to upgrade from my launch Fatty-Mcfat-Fat DS. So, I'm wondering. The DSi. Is it any harder to screw with? As in, does it lack any features or capabilities that make hacking it more difficult? And on the opposite end of the spectrum, is the Lite limited in any way? That is to say, is there more potential for future hacking of the DSi, and is it enough to justify the cost? The advantages of the DSi are obvious-- the screen, the...other stuff that I can't think of. But I'm asking strictly in terms of hacking.

Odd questions, possibly, but I just want to be sure before I spend mah cash.

A great many thanks.

EDIT: And it seems to me now that this may be in the wrong section. The flash cart is the tool behind all of this, but not too much of the post relates to the actual card. So if this is terribly misplaced, feel free to point me elsewhere. But it seems that all the questions are things that should be familiar to the flash cart folks. So for now, I'll leave it be.

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a DSi in December, without actually knowing much of anything. I mistakenly thought the SD card would be useful for games etc. but then I learned about flashcarts etc. etc. and now I've gone and bought a DS Lite.

The DSi has some hardware advantages, but there's no way (at the moment) to take advantage of any of it. People are working on it, but from the look of it, any useful DSi mode homebrew / hacks are still some ways off.

The DSi screen is marginally larger, but not really noticable to me. The speakers are supposed to be better, but for me at least, it is again not really noticable. The cameras are pretty lousy and the SD card slot is effectively crippled by Nintendo -- i.e. unless you want to play aac music or save copies of 0.3MP pictures, it's not much good.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my money on the DSi. Contrast the DS Lite with an Acekard 2i, AKAIO, and a 3in1 expansion pack:

The DSI has 16MB ram but only 4MB available in DS mode. The DSL (with the above add ons) has 20MB ram. The DSI has a 133MHz processor but it only runs at DS speed in DS mode, so you don't lose anything. The DSI can't run GBA stuff at all, but the DSL with the 3in1 can run GBA games stored in your microSD card. The 3in1 also has rumble (if you like that sort of thing) which the DSI cannot do.

The only thing the DSL can't do is access DSI-Ware or play DSI-only games.

Personally, I've put my DSI away for now, in hopes that someday the 3rd party folks will make it useful, but for now the DSL + Acekard 2i + 3in1 Expansion Pack is much more usable, much more capable.

Cheers!

-Atashi

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Atashi said:
I bought a DSi in December, without actually knowing much of anything. I mistakenly thought the SD card would be useful for games etc. but then I learned about flashcarts etc. etc. and now I've gone and bought a DS Lite.

The DSi has some hardware advantages, but there's no way (at the moment) to take advantage of any of it. People are working on it, but from the look of it, any useful DSi mode homebrew / hacks are still some ways off.

The DSi screen is marginally larger, but not really noticable to me. The speakers are supposed to be better, but for me at least, it is again not really noticable. The cameras are pretty lousy and the SD card slot is effectively crippled by Nintendo -- i.e. unless you want to play aac music or save copies of 0.3MP pictures, it's not much good.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my money on the DSi. Contrast the DS Lite with an Acekard 2i, AKAIO, and a 3in1 expansion pack:

The DSI has 16MB ram but only 4MB available in DS mode. The DSL (with the above add ons) has 20MB ram. The DSI has a 133MHz processor but it only runs at DS speed in DS mode, so you don't lose anything. The DSI can't run GBA stuff at all, but the DSL with the 3in1 can run GBA games stored in your microSD card. The 3in1 also has rumble (if you like that sort of thing) which the DSI cannot do.

Personally, I've put my DSI away for now, in hopes that someday the 3rd party folks will make it useful, but for now the DSL + Acekard 2i + 3in1 Expansion Pack is much more usable, much more capable.

Cheers!

-Atashi

google it up. iPlayer. so it can run gba games. just not with a gba slot expansion
rolleyes.gif

also when your googling around. try finding the Supercard DS Two and what their hardware specifications are

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
megawalk said:
google it up. iPlayer. so it can run gba games. just not with a gba slot expansion
rolleyes.gif

also when your googling around. try finding the Supercard DS Two and what their hardware specifications are

When there is an actually working model of the DSTwo, or until it's released, who cares? They announced it with no ETA. As of right now, it doesn't exist. On top of that, they did such a TERRIBLE job with their new EV OS that it makes you reconsider if DSTwo will fail just as much.

Edit: If you want a flashcart on DSi, just get an Acekard 2i and use AKAIO.

MisterKilroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atashi said:

Cheers!

-Atashi

Ah, excellent. This is the answer I was looking for.

GBA emulation isn't much of a priority to me anyway (the PSP does that). Camera, screen size, and speakers are also minor things. DSiWare was my main worry because messing with WiiWare is one of my favorite things to come from hacking the little white box. But if that's not something that's happening for a while, I don't suppose it's really worth it to wait it out.

Again, a great thanks. This is immensely helpful.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Atashi said:
Edit: NVM, it does have 16MB. I always thought it had 4MB PSRAM, and 16MB NOR.

Oh well.

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I vote DS Lite!
About a half year ago, my DS Lite broke, and I went to get a new one.
I was like: which one to get.
I didn't really care about the camera and such, but I was worried aboout the DSI only games. But I still went with a new DS Lite, around the same time my niece got her first ds, her parents bought a DSI, she got a flashcart for it, and she was like: HAHA I got a DSI and you don't.
But a few weeks ago she managed to make her flashcart stop working on her DSI. And now she doesn't have anything, but I still got my trusty DS LITE! YEAH LITE 4ever!

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
DSi
yaynds.gif
Get a DSi if you don't plant to do anything related to GBA slot okay? That way you will have it already when homebrew arrives
wink.gif

Also you get Flipnote which is an awesome app, and a faster browser (almost as fast as the psp one)

EDIT: Yeah... Flipnote is totally worth it

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sachka said:
DSi
yaynds.gif
Get a DSi if you don't plant to do anything related to GBA slot okay? That way you will have it already when homebrew arrives
wink.gif

Also you get Flipnote which is an awesome app, and a faster browser (almost as fast as the psp one)

The DSi Browser is faster than the PSP's one... I ran some speed tests with my DSi and PSP 2000 and DSi went much faster.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CamulaHikari said:
I vote DS Lite!
About a half year ago, my DS Lite broke, and I went to get a new one.
I was like: which one to get.
I didn't really care about the camera and such, but I was worried aboout the DSI only games. But I still went with a new DS Lite, around the same time my niece got her first ds, her parents bought a DSI, she got a flashcart for it, and she was like: HAHA I got a DSI and you don't.
But a few weeks ago she managed to make her flashcart stop working on her DSI. And now she doesn't have anything, but I still got my trusty DS LITE! YEAH LITE 4ever!
LOL. that made me laugh.

i personally recommend DS Lite. if you have no thoughts about using the Slot-2, then DS Lite still. who knows when you will need it ;P

That's a shocker... DSi browser faster than PSP... hmm...

other than that, the main let down from the DS Lite to the DSi is the Slot-2. some games such as FinalFantasy Tactics A2 allow you to get a bonus if you own Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA. you insert the game into the slot-2 and get the bonus Esuna which is a clan privilege. there are many other games, but there aren't many NDS-GBA games. the main one i think about is Pokemon, but i have no idea how the migration feature will work now.

MisterKilroy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So DS Lite's in the lead. Seeing as they both have features that I don't really need, I might hang on to the old DS until I can spot one or the other for a good price (the AceKard isn't even here yet...) or until I see where DSiWare is going. But judging by the comments, it'll probably end up being a Lite for the reason of cheapness and the fact that I'm not really losing much by choosing it over the Lite.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Buy a DS Lite. I'm not going into my reasons as I don't really have the time right now. Just this: I owned both and kept the DS Lite.

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually own both a DSL and a DSi with a Acekard 2.1 and 2i for each and there are pluses and minuses for each such as the GBA slot vs the browsers capabilities. There is even one app to turn your DS into a phone though I have not used it as it looks a little to dangerous for me. I won't go into technicals or specs I will just give you my opinion. From playing with and using both and having apps/games/hb etc on each I would say that the DSi is the way to go. This is just my 2 cents and is just an opinion from my experiences but it is what I would do if I had to choose between the two. I think the future of DS homebrew is in the DSi more than the DSL and I prefer it more anyways so that is the way I would go. I hope this helps you make your choice. Best of luck to you.

Elmoreas

Toader

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get the DSi.The speakers are much better and dsi ware is great. I also enjy the bigger screens. Sure its not much of a difference but the games just look better. When the dsi is hacked its going to get even better!!!

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
Toader said:
Get the DSi.The speakers are much better and dsi ware is great. I also enjy the bigger screens. Sure its not much of a difference but the games just look better. When the dsi is hacked its going to get even better!!!
Yeah, the DS Homebrew scene is dying so maybe when the DSi is hacked it will stop dying.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I won't get a Lite, and I'll stick with my Phat, is because of the feel of the Lite's buttons. They don't have a clicky feeling to them, it's hard to tell when you actually press them. It annoys me, alot.

N64Temp said:
I bought the DSi because its more sleek. I don't care about the bullshit GBA slot, GBA had total shit games. You might as well get a DSi because of the extras.

What about E-Z Flash? Somebody obviously doesn't care about DS Homebrew to it's maximum capabilities.

jakob95 said:
QUOTE(Sachka @ Feb 16 2010, 08:14 PM) DSi
yaynds.gif
wink.gif

The DSi Browser is faster than the PSP's one... I ran some speed tests with my DSi and PSP 2000 and DSi went much faster.

With the PSP's MaxMemoryHack, I bet the PSP Browser IS faster.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
OBJ3KTION said:
The main reason I won't get a Lite, and I'll stick with my Phat, is because of the feel of the Lite's buttons. They don't have a clicky feeling to them, it's hard to tell when you actually press them. It annoys me, alot.

N64Temp said:
I bought the DSi because its more sleek. I don't care about the bullshit GBA slot, GBA had total shit games. You might as well get a DSi because of the extras.

What about E-Z Flash? Somebody obviously doesn't care about DS Homebrew to it's maximum capabilities.

jakob95 said:
QUOTE(Sachka @ Feb 16 2010, 08:14 PM) DSi
yaynds.gif
wink.gif

With the PSP's MaxMemoryHack, I bet the PSP Browser IS faster.
I have an EZ Flash, it's for Rumble though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c