List of things I hope from Sonic Mania (maybe future sonic games)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just a short list of concerns i have for sonic mania that is coming out soon. (Images are screen cap from emulator and just visual representations.)

1. Super Sonic/ Hyper sonic access
Sonic3C_130810000.png

The first thing i hope to see is access to super sonic that isn't directly story related. I also would like to see Hyper sonic which only ever showed up in sonic 3 & knuckles which is probably why i love that game so much (Yes even more than sonic 2 and sonic cd) Honestly, if this game is based on genesis games, this is something i really want, it pain me a lot that most of the super sonic access for modern games have been limited to only one level and only access as the final battle at the very end instead of any time i wanted like sonic 3. I also would like super tails and knuckles and any other possible additional characters. Seeing as hyper sonic was a one time thing i don't expect super emeralds to come back again but it would be nice.

2. Debug mode (Or the edit mode if people call it that)
Sonic3C_130810001.png

Most of the people who remember this would be the people who played the genesis games more than the common person, before moving forward from that console. This feature was always a cheat you would have to turn on. When you do, your HUD which displays score and time will change to a camera, position, coordinate and sprite counter in other words, debugging tools. The main use of this cheat was sometimes known as edit mode. This allows you to place interactive sprites around the area that can be interact with, including stuff that even some aren't accessible intentionally but left by devs, like there was a item in sonic one that was goggles, it allowed sonic to breathe other water instead of needing bubbles to survive in labyrinth zone, or the super monitor in sonic 3 which instantly gives you 50 rings and turn you into super form. Basically you can place stuff on the stage in limited usage but is always been fun to mess around with, so i hope is there. If anything the game can have a level editor JUST MAYBE and would also be cool, like mario maker. (Especially on steam workshop you can share levels, not sure about nintendo, xbox, or playstation)

3. Multiplayer
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (W) [!]000.png
Sonic3C_130810002.png
scheroes001.png
scheroes002.png

Sonic 2 3 and 4 (episode 2) had multiplayer, not that they were bad just it could have been a lot more. Full access to all stages like sonic 2, maybe the 5 lap race special course like sonic 3, or more, maybe mini game modes like special stage battle or boss battle or something where you fight to see who gets more hits off bosses before time is over. Item hunt like sonic adventure 2, a battle mini game or something, i'll even except a small mini game like the cart race from sonic adventure two, or maybe dlc of kart game kinda like sonic racing transformed but in genesis art or game gear sonic drift remake something. Even a sonic battle clone of something. Instead of just 2 player, add maybe 3 player or more (if more characters are added) Maybe 4 player race if you add more characters, or just maybe make same character selectable. Try something, more effort into multiplayer this time. This is a game to celebrate many years of sonic the "Questionable games" Hedgehog. :P

4. More game modes for single player.
Yeah we know, is a sonic game so a score attack and time attack is a given, but maybe add a ghost race mode or something, where people can record their play on stage and maybe send it to a friend and have friends race their ghost, then it be interesting to keep making others get better times. Or just watch recordings of the times. Maybe have a replay mode to watch replays of others players, have like replays to learn best route for faster time or just how to clear a stage. Or online mode to spectate other players or something. Have enough single player content as well as multiplayer content even if you have to resort to online modes. It doesn't have to be interaction with other players but it could just be browsing and spectating.

So far is all i can think about, but is in order of priority, i do hope this to be a better turn out of a game than i expected cause sega has bad record of making bad mistakes that can easily be fixed if they just tried. :(

I must add this isn't common of me to speak out expressing expectations or concerns for future release of things, i usually keep it to myself but this is a Forum and discussion so i hope is okay. :)

Reactions: Dionicio3

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
This is just a short list of concerns i have for sonic mania that is coming out soon. (Images are screen cap from emulator and just visual representations.)

1. Super Sonic/ Hyper sonic access
View attachment 86036

The first thing i hope to see is access to super sonic that isn't directly story related. I also would like to see Hyper sonic which only ever showed up in sonic 3 & knuckles which is probably why i love that game so much (Yes even more than sonic 2 and sonic cd) Honestly, if this game is based on genesis games, this is something i really want, it pain me a lot that most of the super sonic access for modern games have been limited to only one level and only access as the final battle at the very end instead of any time i wanted like sonic 3. I also would like super tails and knuckles and any other possible additional characters. Seeing as hyper sonic was a one time thing i don't expect super emeralds to come back again but it would be nice.

2. Debug mode (Or the edit mode if people call it that)
View attachment 86037

Most of the people who remember this would be the people who played the genesis games more than the common person, before moving forward from that console. This feature was always a cheat you would have to turn on. When you do, your HUD which displays score and time will change to a camera, position, coordinate and sprite counter in other words, debugging tools. The main use of this cheat was sometimes known as edit mode. This allows you to place interactive sprites around the area that can be interact with, including stuff that even some aren't accessible intentionally but left by devs, like there was a item in sonic one that was goggles, it allowed sonic to breathe other water instead of needing bubbles to survive in labyrinth zone, or the super monitor in sonic 3 which instantly gives you 50 rings and turn you into super form. Basically you can place stuff on the stage in limited usage but is always been fun to mess around with, so i hope is there. If anything the game can have a level editor JUST MAYBE and would also be cool, like mario maker. (Especially on steam workshop you can share levels, not sure about nintendo, xbox, or playstation)

3. Multiplayer
View attachment 86039 View attachment 86040 View attachment 86041 View attachment 86042

Sonic 2 3 and 4 (episode 2) had multiplayer, not that they were bad just it could have been a lot more. Full access to all stages like sonic 2, maybe the 5 lap race special course like sonic 3, or more, maybe mini game modes like special stage battle or boss battle or something where you fight to see who gets more hits off bosses before time is over. Item hunt like sonic adventure 2, a battle mini game or something, i'll even except a small mini game like the cart race from sonic adventure two, or maybe dlc of kart game kinda like sonic racing transformed but in genesis art or game gear sonic drift remake something. Even a sonic battle clone of something. Instead of just 2 player, add maybe 3 player or more (if more characters are added) Maybe 4 player race if you add more characters, or just maybe make same character selectable. Try something, more effort into multiplayer this time. This is a game to celebrate many years of sonic the "Questionable games" Hedgehog. :P

4. More game modes for single player.
Yeah we know, is a sonic game so a score attack and time attack is a given, but maybe add a ghost race mode or something, where people can record their play on stage and maybe send it to a friend and have friends race their ghost, then it be interesting to keep making others get better times. Or just watch recordings of the times. Maybe have a replay mode to watch replays of others players, have like replays to learn best route for faster time or just how to clear a stage. Or online mode to spectate other players or something. Have enough single player content as well as multiplayer content even if you have to resort to online modes. It doesn't have to be interaction with other players but it could just be browsing and spectating.

So far is all i can think about, but is in order of priority, i do hope this to be a better turn out of a game than i expected cause sega has bad record of making bad mistakes that can easily be fixed if they just tried. :(

I must add this isn't common of me to speak out expressing expectations or concerns for future release of things, i usually keep it to myself but this is a Forum and discussion so i hope is okay. :)
Man, I miss debug mode, I want it back

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld