Hacking List of all Gateway questions (9.2.0-20)

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm still learning, so these might be dumb questions, please forgive me.
When I initially make emunand it will reformat the SD card, and it will contain a copy of the sysnand. If I restore a backup of the SD card, will I be able to play my e-shop games on the emunand off the SD card?

What is the difference between classic mode and gateway mode? Are these two modes separate from if emunand is setup or not? It's not clear to me why installed .cia files would be visible in classic mode, unless it was also operating on emunand. Then why do you have to be in gateway mode to update emunand?

Thanks.

I've read so much about different CFW and tools and such that it's making me really worried because there's just so much I don't understand. I mistake could be very costly and upsetting!
As long as you are seeking to learn, the question is never dumb. Asking questions is how you find out things.

When you set up the emuNand, it is an exact copy of your sysNand. At that point, the two are the same thing, just being run from different locations. Anything you do to one affects the other. It's also using the same info, same ID, same everything. All your eShop games will be in both, along with your saves. When you say "Restore a backup of the SD card", when was this backup made? The answer to what happens depends on what you're putting onto the card.

Classic Mode leaves signature checks enabled, and so retail cards work under Classic Mode, but the Gateway card and most installed CIAs will not (because they won't have a valid signature for your system, usually). They're visible (because the system can see that they're installed), but if you try to run them, you'll get an error message (because it doesn't check for a valid signature until you try to run it). Gateway Mode has signature checks disabled, a hook for the game menu, and other stuff. Both modes boot emuNand by default. (Version 3.2.1 of the launcher allows you to boot sysNand in Gateway Mode by holding B.) I can't say for certain that it's safe to update emuNand in Classic Mode, there might be something special Gateway Mode includes to make sure the update doesn't affect sysNand, so I would heavily recommend only updating emuNand while in Gateway Mode. Think of "Gateway Mode" as a wrapper around whatever you're running, rather than it's own separate thing, and you'll be closer to how it works.

I haven't messed with CFWs myself yet, so I can't really say anything on that at this time.

Yes, unless you unlink emunand from this sysnand

Gw mode boot a way to read the GW card and the games you put there, classic mode allows you to play retail carts (with region free and stuffs), not sure if DS carts work

Abou CFW I don't know actuallty :v but don't be afraid, just read a lot about if you are afraid from doing something XD but with GW I think you don't need it
DS cards do not work in emuNand, neither in Gateway Mode nor in Classic Mode.

the actual one , yes o3o but only the EMUnand XD
New 3DS only supports emuNand up to 9.5 at this time. Old 3DS supports emuNand up to 9.7, so it's safe to update emuNand on an Old 3DS, but not a New 3DS. To update a New 3DS to 9.5, your best option is to use 3DNUS to download the update files and install them manually into emuNand (not sysNand).

Reactions: Sliter

cabal_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

I'm a bit out of touch with gateway since the 2.0 release. Specifically I know nothing about being able to install CIA stuff to the home menu now.

My question is this: Is there a better way to play DS games on a 3ds now other than using the blue cart and reinstalling gateway every time you want to play 3ds games? For example is there a procedure I can follow to convert my ds carts to .CIA files or something?

Also are people finding it better to dump all their roms as CIA files and install them all now or tending to stick with just using multirom from the SD on the red cart? I've never managed to get a memory card larger than 4GB with exFAT to work on my red card, so not particularly great solution for me when I want to change games. (Still sticking to actually carrying my 3ds cards around with me).

I'd really like to get Chrono trigger working on my 3ds for my GF without having to give her my physical old DS and card.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I'm a bit out of touch with gateway since the 2.0 release. Specifically I know nothing about being able to install CIA stuff to the home menu now.

My question is this: Is there a better way to play DS games on a 3ds now other than using the blue cart and reinstalling gateway every time you want to play 3ds games? For example is there a procedure I can follow to convert my ds carts to .CIA files or something?

Also are people finding it better to dump all their roms as CIA files and install them all now or tending to stick with just using multirom from the SD on the red cart? I've never managed to get a memory card larger than 4GB with exFAT to work on my red card, so not particularly great solution for me when I want to change games. (Still sticking to actually carrying my 3ds cards around with me).

I'd really like to get Chrono trigger working on my 3ds for my GF without having to give her my physical old DS and card.

Yes you can convert 3ds/3dz files to cia and install them. With the exception of a few titles released as preinstalled games you still need to be in gateway mode to run them. The differences between the two methods are to many to list here and have been litigated in many 3ds vs cia threads you can look up.

Regarding your mSD cards have you tried reformatting them with SD Formatter v4 to return them to official specs and then format as exFAT? I use Sandisk Ultra and Samsung Evo 32gb and 64 go cards with no problem. Make sure your cards are class 10 and genuine.

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying Gateway for New 3DS XL.
I want to know whether the blue card can be used to play DS games with the new system?
Is the blue card compatible with all NDS games? Or should I buy R4i Gold to play NDS games?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying Gateway for New 3DS XL.
I want to know whether the blue card can be used to play DS games with the new system?
Is the blue card compatible with all NDS games? Or should I buy R4i Gold to play NDS games?
I have not heard of any incompatibilities with the blue card but I hear the interface of Wood is better with the r4ids.cn card. If your budget allows get the r4.

digableplanets

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, its been awhile since I updated my Gateway. I am currently on release 3.0. What do I need to do to upgrade? It looks like I do not have to go to the Gateway site to get into gateway mode?

Oh no! I need Zelda or Cubic Ninja now? Please help!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, its been awhile since I updated my Gateway. I am currently on release 3.0. What do I need to do to upgrade? It looks like I do not have to go to the Gateway site to get into gateway mode?

Oh no! I need Zelda or Cubic Ninja now? Please help!
You have not told us what kind of 3ds you have or its fw version. How can we help you?

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I just got a Gateway card delivered today and has been reading on how to set it up properly.
I was so overwhelmed/confused by all old/new information and scene lingo. :O

Anyway, I managed to installed/updated emuNAND and everything seems to work without problem.
Still, I have something that I'm unsure of and would really appreciate if anyone could confirm whether my understanding is correct.

1. For Nintendo 2DS (FW 6.0), there is no offline exploit and I'd need Internet connection every time I want to access Gateway Menu or emuNAND?

2. Even if I have back-uped sysNAND, I'd need some expensive hardware mods to restore my system?

3. I can update games through eShop without getting banned, but playing game online will get me banned?

4. Playing games that were installed as CIA is the safest way to play online, since CIA has no header?

5. If I don't have O3DS with FW 4.X, I cannot make xorpads files myself, therefore it's impossible for me to convert .3DS to .CIA?

6. It is recommended by some to update emuNAND through System Settings only because it would prevent accidental sysNAND update. However, updating this way would only update FW to the latest version. If I want to update emuNAND to a specific FW version, can I just run a ROM that contains FW update data I want?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about that is....
3ds xl Super Mario Limited Edition
Ver. 8.10-18U

I had the Gateway working with the Gateway 3.0 but need to update and not sure how.

I appreciate the help.
If you've already got Gateway working, then the only thing you need to do is put the new Launcher.dat onto your system's SD card. Cubic Ninja/Zelda is mainly used for the initial setup on a New 3DS. If you're on a New 3DS, the 3.2 release included a way to install the DS Profile Exploit to make it easier to get into Gateway mode, but the steps aren't required if you don't feel like messing with them.

Ok, I just got a Gateway card delivered today and has been reading on how to set it up properly.
I was so overwhelmed/confused by all old/new information and scene lingo. :O

Anyway, I managed to installed/updated emuNAND and everything seems to work without problem.
Still, I have something that I'm unsure of and would really appreciate if anyone could confirm whether my understanding is correct.

1. For Nintendo 2DS (FW 6.0), there is no offline exploit and I'd need Internet connection every time I want to access Gateway Menu or emuNAND?
  2. Even if I have back-uped sysNAND, I'd need some expensive hardware mods to restore my system?
  3. I can update games through eShop without getting banned, but playing game online will get me banned?
  4. Playing games that were installed as CIA is the safest way to play online, since CIA has no header?
  5. If I don't have O3DS with FW 4.X, I cannot make xorpads files myself, therefore it's impossible for me to convert .3DS to .CIA?
  6. It is recommended by some to update emuNAND through System Settings only because it would prevent accidental sysNAND update. However, updating this way would only update FW to the latest version. If I want to update emuNAND to a specific FW version, can I just run a ROM that contains FW update data I want?
1. To my knowledge, there is not yet an offline exploit for the 2DS.
2. If you have messed up your sysNand to the point where your console does not boot at all, then a hardware mod to restore the backup is necessary. If your console still boots, you can restore the backup with the Gateway launcher menu.
3. Playing online with a ROM that is using a public header can get you banned. Patching your files with a private header will keep you safe.
4. Playing a private header ROM is likely more safe than a CIA, since Nintendo could theoretically check your purchase history and see that you don't own the title you're playing. They don't seem to be doing it at this time, but it's a thing that they could do.
5. Unfortunately, I don't actually know anything about xorpads myself, so I can't answer this one.
6. You can use a ROM to update emuNand, and you can also use 3DNUS to download the update you want and install the CIAs that way.

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. To my knowledge, there is not yet an offline exploit for the 2DS.
2. If you have messed up your sysNand to the point where your console does not boot at all, then a hardware mod to restore the backup is necessary. If your console still boots, you can restore the backup with the Gateway launcher menu.
3. Playing online with a ROM that is using a public header can get you banned. Patching your files with a private header will keep you safe.
4. Playing a private header ROM is likely more safe than a CIA, since Nintendo could theoretically check your purchase history and see that you don't own the title you're playing. They don't seem to be doing it at this time, but it's a thing that they could do.
5. Unfortunately, I don't actually know anything about xorpads myself, so I can't answer this one.
6. You can use a ROM to update emuNand, and you can also use 3DNUS to download the update you want and install the CIAs that way.
Thank you for answers, they are really helpful :)
But could you confirm if it is safe to just update games through eShop? Would I get banned for that?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for answers, they are really helpful :)
But could you confirm if it is safe to just update games through eShop? Would I get banned for that?
You can update through eShop just fine (I've done it a couple times myself), but accessing eShop without the latest firmware can be a pain. If you don't want to deal with that, you can usually grab the update CIAs from the same sites you use to obtain your other files, and install them manually (I've done that a couple times myself, too).

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can update through eShop just fine (I've done it a couple times myself), but accessing eShop without the latest firmware can be a pain. If you don't want to deal with that, you can usually grab the update CIAs from the same sites you use to obtain your other files, and install them manually (I've done that a couple times myself, too).
Thank you. That gave me a peace of mind. ^_^

Killer_Nads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I should be getting my New 3DS XL Black with firmware 9.0, and Gateway flashcard tomorrow. I want to download backup games and copy them to the gateway cards microsd card to play the games through there directly. This is both for 3ds and e-shop games such as shovel knight and Shantae.

The question i have is obviously for the gateway card i will need a microSD card. Im thinking of getting the bigger one for future use too (64gb). However, I'm unsure about which one to go for as two different ones exist. Please can you recommend me which one to buy out of the following 2. Please respond quick so that i can order asap and hopefully receive it in time:

SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS I 64GB Class 10 up to 30MBs read speed:
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=28979

SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC plus SD Adapter (Class 10 | UHS-I | 48MB/s):
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=28252

or if i should get a different one altogether instead?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...