Hacking Linux help, please?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, leave it to you to be random;-) If you have an HDMI port, most (at least 1.3 and definitely 1.4) handle audio and video. Wii U has 1.4 HDMI. This is capable of 3D output if TV can handle it and if the Wii U outputs it. IF I am seeing this, you want to run HDMI to like TV, but your stereo has RCA inputs only? Only way I could see this being useful. HDMI is something Ninja brought up; still some questions there as to what Linux will see, and what drivers are needed (if any).

No clue yet. Lets say this entire thing is running, have bluetooth driver that seems like biggest hurdle, more can be added. If Linux sees the hardware and has drivers, why not? Usually the rest is software. Might need to be a side project later. Best I have Randomizer.

Yeah, what I was referring to was HDMI for video, RCA audio for sound since I don't have a receiver that would convert the HDMI to my speaker system, but standard white/red cables for left for 2.1 speakers. I guess I could always buy an SPDIF cable, but I'd rather not. If or when Linux is ported and has the drivers, problem solved. Bluetooth will be a snag for sure.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, what I was referring to was HDMI for video, RCA audio for sound since I don't have a receiver that would convert the HDMI to my speaker system, but standard white/red cables for left for 2.1 speakers. I guess I could always buy an SPDIF cable, but I'd rather not. If or when Linux is ported and has the drivers, problem solved. Bluetooth will be a snag for sure.
I posted some info, we may not be in much trouble with that bluetooth issue. Will need to see what the experienced ones say;-)

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my thread here on Linux seems slow and my Google doc has not been updated or even read as far as I can tell. I wonder what ninja will think of Bluetooth 4.0 links I found. Must be something usable in there... at least I hope so.
I wouldn't worry too much, both this threads will continue to be active.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If Bluetooth would slow development down, wouldn't it be possible to connect an usb bluetooth dongle and use that to synch with wii remotes? You won't be able to use it for the gamepad, but as dolphin has wii remote support, it should be possible to use it like that in linux on the wiiu as well.
Considering the heat problems when using all 3 cores. They still run at native 700Mhz wii speed. That's much less than their maximum allowed speed, so I don't think they will overheat and die right away.
Just my 5 cent on the topic.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Bluetooth would slow development down, wouldn't it be possible to connect an usb bluetooth dongle and use that to synch with wii remotes? You won't be able to use it for the gamepad, but as dolphin has wii remote support, it should be possible to use it like that in linux on the wiiu as well.
Considering the heat problems when using all 3 cores. They still run at native 700Mhz wii speed. That's much less than their maximum allowed speed, so I don't think they will overheat and die right away.

This. Did not even think about it. In theory its very possible.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the idea. If heat is handled in Wii U mode, and fans seem to run the same regardless? The heat issue was discussed and most believed it would not believed to be issue. Right now anyway;-).

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fans aren't necessarily an issue, either, those can be ramped up or down (think linux 'fancontrol' 'lm-sensors')
If it even has that interface. Might not be hardware controlled at all (all hard coded). Temp monitor, adjust if/when necessary. I've never heard fans change speed myself, regardless of which mode I was in.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well, bootmii IOS can theoretically still be packed from a normal wii and installed. The mini itself will probably scream about all kinds of errors when it finds that there is no boot2 but it could probably be modded to ignore that since I think linux would not use what mini uses boot2 for.

To tell the truth, though, I'm kinda curious what en existing ppc linux kerlel would do if just launched from HBC with AHBPROT disabled. Even with just one core, I imagine it would be able to ignore the IOS/mini completely as long as it's drivers can find the hardware where it is.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, bootmii IOS can theoretically still be packed from a normal wii and installed. The mini itself will probably scream about all kinds of errors when it finds that there is no boot2 but it could probably be modded to ignore that since I think linux would not use what mini uses boot2 for.

To tell the truth, though, I'm kinda curious what en existing ppc linux kerlel would do if just launched from HBC with AHBPROT disabled. Even with just one core, I imagine it would be able to ignore the IOS/mini completely as long as it's drivers can find the hardware where it is.

This is really the point I'd like to get to. If I/we can boot Linux even with one core, we can test the boundaries further and see what could be accessible potentially. If you have any idea what it would take to make this happen (even in its simplest form) please let me know, I'm willing to test, don't care if it bricks my U

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, congrats