GBA Let's talk about the DS Lite's GBA cartridge cover... The curiosity is killing me.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So I l'm curious as to why my DS Lite's GBA slot cover has gold pins on it, if it's just a dummy cartridge to act as a dust cover and to keep the shell feeling streamlined when no GBA cart is present. So I took it apart, and found that the PCB inside has traces that connect all the pins so a single ground line. Is this meant to terminate the GBA slot for some kind of DS-mode operation? Does it serve any purpose at all, whatsoever? Does it do nothing? Wouldn't it be better to have no PCB at all, so there's no pressure on the pins in the slot?

I need answers, as I'm totally clueless.

20240226_022114.jpg

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is, although they have traces and seem to be connected, none of them actually are. The holes cut the connections.
I feel like an idiot... Not noticing that until you mentioned it. :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: Ozito and SylverReZ

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The gold connectors are to prevent corrosion if the cover never leaves the slot.

I'd wager that the vias are long and don't connect anywhere in particular to prevent a floating state.

Can't tell from the pictograph, but are the limits of the holes also covered in copper? If so, they are grounded, as they should be.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: assassinz and Jayro

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 4MB Memory Pak from the DS Web Browser, but I want to eventually get a larger one. I know there's an 8MB one, but what about 16MB?
How did you manage to get a 4MB one? I always thought the DS Browser bundled the 8MB one.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
How did you manage to get a 4MB one? I always thought the DS Browser bundled the 8MB one.
I think you're right... It probably is 8MB now that I did some Googling.
Post automatically merged:

I just fired up GodMode9i and it indeed says Slot-2 is 7MB free.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A better use with these dummy cartridge covers, is to create a rumble pak or CompactFlash adapter.
But why would anyone make a CompactFlash adapter when no one uses CompactFlash anymore and there are numerous different flashcarts that use SD?

I have a 4MB Memory Pak from the DS Web Browser, but I want to eventually get a larger one. I know there's an 8MB one, but what about 16MB?
There's not much point to a larger expansion pak if no one has written software that takes advantage of it – and especially if you have no interest in running that software.

• Haha

Flower_Chiq

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking the same thing a few months ago when I dismantled my slot 2 cover to clean it.

I noticed that if you put the slot 2 cover together without that empty circuit in, it only loosely fits into the console and falls out if you give the console a little shake.

So I guess the idea of the empty circuit board is just to ensure that the cover is secured in to the console, it would be super easy to lose it if it just fell out, a lot of people lost the slot 2 covers so imagine if it was even easier to lose.

The above doesn't apply to replacement housings though as the one I fitted to my console yesterday needed a bit of filing just to allow me to push the slot 2 cover into the console.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking the same thing a few months ago when I dismantled my slot 2 cover to clean it.

I noticed that if you put the slot 2 cover together without that empty circuit in, it only loosely fits into the console and falls out if you give the console a little shake.

So I guess the idea of the empty circuit board is just to ensure that the cover is secured in to the console, it would be super easy to lose it if it just fell out, a lot of people lost the slot 2 covers so imagine if it was even easier to lose.

The above doesn't apply to replacement housings though as the one I fitted to my console yesterday needed a bit of filing just to allow me to push the slot 2 cover into the console.
I'm really happy that aftermarket ones are easy to come by, and the quality doesn't suffer.

There's not much point to a larger expansion pak if no one has written software that takes advantage of it – and especially if you have no interest in running that software.
Certain homebrew like Twilight Menu and Quake DS take advantage of it, and I use those homebrews. Extra rAM is always welcome, even if not everything may utilize it. Some use it as RAM, some use it as caching space, etc. Whatever keeps things running smooth. With GBARunner3 being a thing, I can just play GBA ROMs that way and keep the RAM cart in my slot now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up