Homebrew Legit CIAs got reduced?

Swadloon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, ppl. Ages ago I made this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/are-manually-pre-installed-games-tied-to-nnid.491570/

For short, I was new on 3DS scene and had bought a New 3DS XL with a lot of legit CIAs installed (the list is on the thread).

It was ok, since I could delete some of those games in order to install new ones I bought from eShop, since my SD was only 32 GB and I could re-download them later if I wanted. Now I got a bigger SD, downloaded back a lot of games I had deleted, but found out that some of them cannot be downloaded again, specifically Animal Crossing New Leaf and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Going to FBI and, then, to "Tickets", I've seen I still have the tickets (in red) for Animal Crossing and A Link Between Worlds. Though, I need to purchase them in order to download them back.

I'm kind of frustrated, since I can now have in the same SD all the games I couldn't. Plus, I planned to install Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which I had seen it had a legit CIA. Now I'm not sure. I'm afraid to install any CIAs, legit or not, since it may cause me to get banned (?).

Do you have any explanation for what happened? What kind of misuse of CIAs can get me banned?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing games from CIA files (legit or not) will not get you banned. No one has ever been banned for this, and it's not something Nintendo can detect.

Since you're presumably using CFW (Luma3DS), there is also no real reason to limit yourself to "legit" CIA files.

Reactions: Deleted-481927

Swadloon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Installing games from CIA files (legit or not) will not get you banned. No one has ever been banned for this, and it's not something Nintendo can detect.

Since you're presumably using CFW (Luma3DS), there is also no real reason to limit yourself to "legit" CIA files.

Thank you. However, they're not attached to NNID, are they? They can't be re-downloaded straight from eShop, right?

Anyways, since I've seen it as a recurrent concern on forums, what kind of stuff can really get someone banned?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. However, they're not attached to NNID, are they? They can't be re-downloaded straight from eShop, right?

Anyways, since I've seen it as a recurrent concern on forums, what kind of stuff can really get someone banned?
No, they cannot be re-downloaded from the eShop. Even in the case of legit CIA files, things can happen out of the user's control that can cause them to be unable to be re-downloaded, too (e.g. A system transfer). People used them in the past because there were times when one could install legit CIA files with homebrew only (no CFW), and they would work. Now, everyone has easy access to CFW.

Today in 2019, the only thing a person is likely to be banned for on the 3DS is cheating online. These are the following ways people have been banned in the past:
  1. Cheating online
  2. Playing a game online before it has been released.
  3. Using an invalid header online (applies to using flashcarts)
  4. Using a third-party application like FBI online while it's installed to the home menu, certain sharing settings are active, and during a specific window of time in 2017.

Reactions: Swadloon

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, they cannot be re-downloaded from the eShop. Even in the case of legit CIA files, things can happen out of the user's control that can cause them to be unable to be re-downloaded, too (e.g. A system transfer). People used them in the past because there were times when one could install legit CIA files with homebrew only (no CFW), and they would work. Now, everyone has easy access to CFW.

Today in 2019, the only thing a person is likely to be banned for on the 3DS is cheating online. These are the following ways people have been banned in the past:
  1. Cheating online
  2. Playing a game online before it has been released.
  3. Using an invalid header online (applies to using flashcarts)
  4. Using a third-party application like FBI online while it's installed to the home menu, certain sharing settings are active, and during a specific window of time in 2017.
You are missing one way to get banned.

5. Using a stolen credit card to purchase a game from the eshop will get you banned.

Reactions: Swadloon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0