flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know what's the best approach. We can:
1) Not guess for all (insert as Japanese) and screenshot them in-game
2) Guess for all and screenshot them in-game
Any idea which is better? (1) is better because it's obvious some decision needs to be made.
Probably there's another option I'm not thinking of.

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right. After a first pass, second, third and who knows how many others, we're down to missing just this stuff:

060 SE制御 Need to see it in-game.
230 コウケン "Kouken". Chinese name?
339 イス. "Isu". Chair? Or is it a personal name like Ys, Is, Yisu? Need to see it in-game.
358 ホイストフ "Hoisutofu". Hoistoff? Whistoff?
360 セルテオ "Seruteo". Serteo? Celteo?
852 ニコル "Nikoru". Nicole if it's a she, Nikol if it's a he. Need to see it in-game.
1117人形 "Ningyou". Puppet or Doll? Need to see it in-game.
1298 コウキ "Kouki". Chinese name/Incense ware?
1485 ジョーリッジ "Jourijji". Joe Ridge?
1994 ハティナ "Hatina". Hathena?
2049 バット "Batto/Vatto". Bat/Vat/Personal name? Need to see it in-game.
2097 タントス "Tantosu". Tantos?
2138 グラス "Gurasu". Glass/Grass/Glasse/Grasse? Need to see it in-game.
2642 カマ "Kama". Sickle/Kettle/Iron Pot... Need to see it in-game.
2643 チョウ "Chou". Too many possible meanings like butterfly, guts, bowels, sign, omen...Need to see it in-game.
2805 軍用犬 War/Army Dog Need to see it in-game.
3001 ムラシュ "Murashu". ?
3018 ゴーファン "Goufan". Chinese name?
3238 メーシェ "Meeshe". Chinese name?
3698 教授イス Need to see it in-game if it's a Professor's Chair or if it's Professor Ys/Is/Yisu.

About Chinese names.
There're quite a few camouflaged under Japanese readings. Me and Raine have nailed down some of them
but as you can see some others remain. Another problem is how to treat them. We have a character who's official name is Rixia
and not Ri Xia. So, should we treat all others names like hers? I mean

Xi Lún
Měi Hua
Qiu Lán
Shan Shan

and so on should become Xilún, Měihua, Qiulán, Shanshan? And what about the tone accents? Should we get rid of them?

I would go with the full on chinese names. About the accents, that is something I will have to look into those with some tests or create them in the font file.

Edit in response to flame:
I think we can leave them in japanese and screenshot them in the game. But we should put some kind of marker to notify people to look for them. Something like maybe (screenshot please) since the names really have no limit. Also, has anybody tried doing a google image search for those names? Sometimes that turns up some good stuff.

Guren no heya kara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm for leaving them in Japanese and screenshot them too, unless something new comes out,
like someone who has played the game and can definitely say what they're or going on a Falcom forum or something and ask them there...

Good idea google image.
It resolved the doubts on 軍用犬 and 人形.
No luck with the rest.

As we identify the missing bits I'll cross them out in the post on page 9.

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HUGE UPDATE!

So I had about 20 minutes the past week to take a look at the game's internal workings. I have been trying to sneak on here and lend a hand with other stuff. I decided that since this is by far the strangest game I have worked on so far (short of Traverse Starlight & Prairie -Snes era), let's try something off the wall. Well we seemed to think that inserting dialog was gonna be a hurdle without knowing all the OP codes. BUZZ!!! WRONG!!! As it seems at this moment in time, it is a different story.

Basically as long as we edit the pointers in the .pre file, it seems we can shove whatever we want into the dialog. Just have to make sure not to touch the surrounding codes. Just the actual dialog. See screens (keep in mind they are very messy and no real example of a finished product.) Just something I threw together in a couple of moments.

NPJH50311_00011.jpg
NPJH50311_00053.jpg
NPJH50311_00054.jpg

Here is one that has been cleaned up a bit.
NPJH50311_00056.jpg

Oh yeah, the windows auto scale. :P

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
It's amazing :D
As an aside:
You worked on Traverse Starlight & Prairie (SFC)?????
Knowing someone worked on that one brings happiness to my heart.
Did anything came out from that attempt? (even though you dropped it most likely :( )

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's amazing :D
As an aside:
You worked on Traverse Starlight & Prairie (SFC)?????
Knowing someone worked on that one brings happiness to my heart.
Did anything came out from that attempt? (even though you dropped it most likely :( )

It was many many years ago that I worked (or at least attempted to) work on it. I think the text was either compressed or something like that and I just couldn't work it out. Not being a strong programmer really limits my ability to work on stuff. Also at that time, the emulators were just barely beginning to support it properly. Would have been a good game to finish. Maybe I might take another look at it down the road just for fun.

Wonderful.
So...can we ignore the characters limit then?

As it stands right this moment, if we can fit the dialog box on the screen, it should work. Just don't go thinking we can stick the "Wheel of Time" series books in a 2 katakana slot. :)

Guren no heya kara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was thinking it caused problems putting more or less kb in there. For example, let's say the jp sentence has 8 kanji, so 16 characters for us.
We can translate it with 12 characters. After putting them in, the window doesn't load because the game find a less xkb value.
Same if it weights more...
I was thinking that every window had a set size, meaning in the 12 characters case we should have put in blank spaces to have the same kb size,
but it seems that this game is not so picky, like Falcom maybe let some path opens for easing an eventual future localization...
Obviously it seems you can have three lines in there fitting in, and not a tower of lines like

Who
ate
the
pizza
in
the
fridge
that
I
was
eagerly
anticipating
to
eat
tonight
?

and so on.

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The windows don't have a real set size per say. All I did in those screenshots was insert the line break code (0x01) in them. That is the only modification I made other than the dialog stuff. I first tried to use \n for a line break in the second one and you can see the yin symbol I believe in tio and elie dialog. Cleaned them up down the row and henceforth you see what it is capable of doing. Falcom is sneaky with their stuff and I believe you are correct in the idea it was done to ease loacalization (or they were afraid they would lose the codes to edit them in that mess of a programming job, LOL)

Edit... I may test that tower theory out later on today and see what happens. :)

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Falcom-programmed text never has more than 3 lines in one box.
If we can vary the length (not really sure we can at this point), then we can have as many extra boxes as we like. So conditionally, it won't be a problem. Pretty sure some extra text boxes here and there won't ruin anyone's game. My translation of Brandish DR has several extra boxes here and there.

First priorities are to get the names and abilities inserted, because we know how to do those now. I'll make tools for them.

Cargodin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take these with a grain of salt, but...

230 コウケン "Kouken" An NPC over on West Street in Crossbell.
339 イス. I think it's chair. Ys is written strictly as イ-ス.
358 ホイストフ (It's most likely Wistoff) The cafe in Crossbell
360 セルテオ Also in the cafe.
852 ニコル Nikol. A member of Arc en Ciel, I think? Found in the theater?

1298 コウキ "Kouki". A member of the Saber Vipers, the med student.
1485 ジョーリッジ Joe Ridge sounds right to me. Maybe in the police department there will be a romanization of his name?
1994 ハティナ Might be romanized as Fatima, but stick with Hatina. One of the nuns in Crossbell.

These are strictly maybes:
2049 バット "Batto/Vatto". I think it's in reference to Kouki's nail bat?
2097 タントス "Tantosu". Had to Google-fu it, which says it's **possibly** a short sword or dagger.

((If these two are true, and 2642 does turn out to be "sickle", then you're starting up on weapons, mayhaps?))
2642 カマ "Kama". Sickle/...

Reactions: G-Han

Guren no heya kara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the help.
I'll gladly take those Wistoff, Hatina and Nikol. We still need to find a possible "chinisetion" for Kouken and Kouki, and possible romanizations for Seruteo and Tantosu (it's not a sword, I think you've mistaken it for Tantō, a short Japanese blade, moreover Tantosu is an old man...). Stuff like bat, chair and possibly sickle or pot I think that are in-game items laying around in the settings that you can click on them and get a kind of reply like a window popping up saying that "It's a bat!" or something. Weapons and items are already translated with their descriptions, at least they are on two of the spread sheets.

Guren no heya kara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
All right, I went with Tantos for the old man and...I've noticed that I've missed one problematic name, at 974.
Down to 14 missing names, here's the updated list with some extra infos from Cargodin:

060 SE制御 Need to see it in-game.
230 コウケン "Kouken". Chinese name? An NPC over on West Street in Crossbell.
339 イス. "Isu". Chair? Or is it a personal name like Ys, Is, Yisu? Need to see it in-game. Most likely, Chair.
360 セルテオ "Seruteo". Serteo? Celteo? Inside the Wistoff café.
974 レイタロッサ "Reitarossa". This could be a lot of things if we play with the R/L sounds. Ray Talossa? Rheita Rossa? No idea.
1298 コウキ "Kouki". Chinese name? A member of the Saber Vipers, the med student.
2049 バット "Batto/Vatto". Bat/Vat/Personal name? Need to see it in-game. A reference to Kouki's nail bat?
2642 カマ "Kama". Sickle/Kettle/Iron Pot... Need to see it in-game.
2643 チョウ "Chou". Too many possible meanings like butterfly, guts, bowels, sign, omen...Need to see it in-game
3001 ムラシュ "Murashu". ?
3018 ゴーファン "Goufan". Chinese name?
3238 メーシェ "Meeshe". Chinese name?
3698 教授イス Need to see it in-game if it's a Professor's Chair or if it's Professor Ys/Is/Yisu.

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have spent about the past hour mulling over what to do here. Most of the stuff I can trim down to size. But I really like the translations here BUT it absolutely won't fit in the window. Not really wanting to break lines up into two for the item descriptions.
Actually I am gonna try to avoid that at all costs if I can. Just seems messy to me and I like clean work. So I am gonna ask what people think. Pay no mind to the punctuation symbols. Those are just place holders for my personal use. The third line of each is what I need a little feedback on. Revision 2 is the one that probably won't have any space issues. Not that I am pushing for that one, but it might be what I have to go with.

----Original Translation----
Silence Blue
ATS +25, SPD +5, Block [Poison], [Dark], [Burn]\n
Jewel with a silent blue glow processed from pure blue septium.

Passion Rouge
STR +25, SPD +5, Block [Freeze], [Petrify]\n
Jewel with a vivid crimson glow processed from pure red septium.

Evergreen
ACC +15%, EVADE +15%, SPD +5, Block [Stun], [Sleep], [Confuse]\n
Jewel with an unchanging green glow processed from pure green septium.

Deep Ochre
DEF +25, ADF +25, SPD +10, Block [Seal], [Silence]\n
Jewel with a deep amber glow processed from pure amber septium.

----Original Edit---- (Some possible space issues)
Silence Blue
<ATS+25 SPD+5 Nullifies [Poison*Dark*Burn]>\n
Jewel with a silent blue glow created from pure blue septium.

Passion Rouge
<STR+25 SPD+5 Nullifies [Freeze*Petrify]>\n
Jewel with a vivid crimson glow created from pure red septium.

Evergreen
<ACC+15% EVA+15% SPD+5 Nullifies [Stun*Sleep*Confuse]>
Jewel with an steady green glow created from pure green septium.

Deep Ochre
<DEF+25 ADF+25 SPD+10 Nullifies [Seal*Silence]>\n
-----there isn't one for this one. noticed space issues with evergreen. started working on trying to trim down-------

----Revision 2---- (No space issues, that I know of)
Silence Blue
<ATS+25 SPD+5 Nullifies [Poison*Dark*Burn]>\n
A jewel made of pure septium, it glows silent and blue.

Passion Rouge
<STR+25 SPD+5 Nullifies [Freeze*Petrify]>\n
A jewel of pure red septium, it has a vivid crimson glow.

Evergreen
<ACC+15% EVA+15% SPD+5 Nullifies [Stun*Sleep*Confuse]>
A jewel of pure green septium, it's green glow unchanging.

Deep Ochre
<DEF+25 ADF+25 SPD+10 Nullifies [Seal*Silence]>\n
A jewel of pure amber septium, there is a deep amber glow.

Reactions: Mort alttwo

SCO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Confusing it's with its on a translation is the kind of thing that gets you fired on a real translation job.

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confusing it's with its on a translation is the kind of thing that gets you fired on a real translation job.

Well thankfully this is a fan translation and not being governed by the grammar police. If you have never worked on something like this, you would never know how mind numbing these things can be sometimes. That is why there is a proof reading and QC done after this.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has a "new box code" and "new line code" in the dialogues. So it's similar in that respect.
BTW, do you have any comments on my tool programming? Terrible, right? But I have no idea how to improve it.

You need JLPT1 (or maybe KanKen level 3 or better) and some aptitude to get hired at a real translation job. I've got neither, and not the skills for the first either.

zero_g_monkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it Divine Cross or Divine Cloth? Just need to know since the name really doesn't match the desciption.
デヴァインクロス

絶滅種となった蚕からしか紡げない幻の布。\n
工房に持っていくと改造素材として使える。

Divine Cross
Phantom cloth made only from an extinct breed of silkworm.\n
Bring to orbal workshop to be used as modding parts.

xrainex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it Divine Cross or Divine Cloth? Just need to know since the name really doesn't match the desciption.
デヴァインクロス

絶滅種となった蚕からしか紡げない幻の布。\n
工房に持っていくと改造素材として使える。

Divine Cross
Phantom cloth made only from an extinct breed of silkworm.\n
Bring to orbal workshop to be used as modding parts.

Should be Divine Cloth.
The names and descriptions were translated separately so probably missed that part since クロス can be cloth or cross. Nice catch :)

As for your revisions, those look good. Go ahead and reword things if you find them too long to fit. Though I think you missed the "blue" in the description for the first one :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.