Least Favourite OS

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On Vista. If you did not buy a laptop with "vista ready" stickers on it and maybe only used it at end of life it was not the worst thing out there.

Anyway I have never been fond of Apple's operating systems.
Generally they think they know better than me about what I should be doing with my system, even more so nowadays with that whole needs to activate thing, and what is basic functionality in Windows and Linux world tends to cost you money you would likely not care to lose and still not be that good. Wind in the custom hardware and... yeah.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
my least favourite, in the contemporary market is probably also windows 10. I don't even touch apple devices but maybe they are worse, I doubt it though. They are both rather patronizing in their user experience, but at least apple seems a bit more technically solid and not too plagued with wierd bugs. Though linux has a lot of wierd bugs as well, but at least if something breaks you usually have more options about what to do about it :3

Last edited by Spring_Spring,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I really have a least favorite OS TBH, I've used various OS's throughout the years nowadays and most of them are just fine for what most people do.

I think the OS I've had the most problems with though is probably macOS, but that's only because the majority of my experience with it has either been on old ass Macs or via hackintoshing, each which have their own quirks and issues, but those are less related to the OS and more related to the hardware and how only Apple products can officially exist in their own little bubble.

Vista I also don't have a problem with, because the majority of the issues people had with Vista were not OS-only related so much as they were with hardware manufacturers that A) sold "Vista capable!" PCs that were not, in fact, Vista capable whatsoever and B) Couldn't be assed to create new drivers for the new OS, which caused stability issues. I suppose you could argue high hardware requirements being a problem but really beyond that, some bloat, and the usual launch bugs literally every OS faces the first year, there was nothing overly wrong with Vista beyond perhaps being different.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything Apple have done since the original OSX first debuted 20ish years ago. When it was OSX vs XP It was an OS I'd much rather use over Windows any day of the week. Each subsequent update makes it more of a hobbled experience that you have such limited control over, and is so massively resource hungry, that (if it weren't for the fact that Macs are the 'defacto' industry standard in my line of work) I'd happily never touch one ever again!
By way of comparrison, the Mac I'm currently using with its 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-core and 12Gb of ram is (on paper) at least twice as good as my home, Win10, PC with its 4-core 3GHz and 8Gb of ram... yet the windows machine can perform the exact same tasks up to four times quicker and with far fewer crashes.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Windows 10 isn't the best either; I've had issues with it. One big one is that the icons on the taskbar occasionally disappear after leaving my laptop in sleep mode for some time, with the only real way to fix it being to completely restart the laptop - which means losing tab history, closing all the programs I had open, and just generally being a pain in the arse.

Haven't had that issue with macOS, ever.

I also particularly hate how OneDrive becomes the default Documents and Desktop when used, replacing the local computer's Documents and Desktop. I had to place a shortcut to my local Documents on Quick Access, and trying to save Office files is a pain since I need to specify local storage each time.
Fuck you, OneDrive; you make my fans run hard when open due to all the changes you need to process, so I never launch you. Even when closed, you're still an utter pain in the arse.

And why hasn't Microsoft added tab support to File Explorer?

Last edited by RichardTheKing,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I've had better tasting battery acid
    +1
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    has anyone tried to move Pokemon save files from emulator to console?
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    no, open up a thread in the forums for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He already asked earlier
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    I am trying to find someone with knowledge on that willing to help me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I and Hayato warned him not to, but he won't listen
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    @BigOnYa,
    I don't listen? What didn't I listen at? I just want to know all the possible risks on that part
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    Hayato even said it's dangerous to backup the save files to CFW
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    how is this dangerous? A ton of people did this it's the most common thing to do with CFW
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then do it
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    dude, whatever
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not trying to hate, I tried to help you in the switch noob thread by asking for you, but you don't want to accept the answers you got, so do whatever then.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that bigonya squeezing bulmas tiddies
    +1
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    @BigOnYa, Man, first of all thanks for your willing to help, much appreciated. But, it's not that I "don't want to listen", rather than I need soemone to EXPLAIN to me how and why all these are risky.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Putting your dick in certain areas is always a risk
    +1
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    For example, HOW is is risky to get banned if you extract the save files to the CFW?
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    isn't this proccess be done while you're offline?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We are not Nintendo, so we don't know exactly how/why/when they ban, but better to stay on the safe side and not do shady stuff, if you don't want to be banned. Hayato is one of the most knowledgeable ones here on the subject and I believe what he says.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    300 bucks hmmm lol
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    @BigOnYa, Yes ofc we don't know how Nintendo bans work, but if there are situations where a lot of people have tried safely then we can at least assume that this path is pretty much safe. To say don't try anything homebrew relative just to be safe forever is the easiest thing to say to someone. What I am trying to figure out here is with which cases and what actions got most of the people their bans for.
  • A @ ATEMVEGETA:
    Most things I can find resulting to a ban is save-editing reasons, like Pokehex, etc, and going online afterwards.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm almost certain fucking Google fibers modems blocking out PPPoE signals
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm almost certain fucking Google fibers modems blocking out PPPoE signals