Large compatible USB flash drive

bobbintb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A while ago I got a 500gb USB 3.0 flash drive for the Wii. Unfortunately it hasn't worked so well since I have to force restart the Wii just to get USB Loader GX to recognize it. Since my kid started playing the Wii lately and I find myself needing a faster drive for computer stuff. I am thinking about repurposing the USB 3 drive and getting a better one for the Wii. Unfortunately the USB compatibility guide is pretty old and most of the 500gb drive on it are external hard drives and not USB drives. I really don't want to buy another one and just hope it works. Does anyone have any advice on a known working 500gb USB flash drive for the Wii? I might also try and get a Wii U from the pawn shop. I don't think it will matter but worth the mention.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned, you're better off getting an external hdd instead, it's a no brainer since the price might be even less than getting a 500gb usb flash drive..

Reactions: jeannotte

bobbintb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gone through two or three external drives already for my Wii. I don't use them for my computer work anymore either. Every external drive I have ever had has died, usually within a year. I've only had one flash drive die on me, ever. I have some I've had for decades but they are just too small and slow. I'm really looking for a flash drive.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gone through two or three external drives already for my Wii. I don't use them for my computer work anymore either. Every external drive I have ever had has died, usually within a year. I've only had one flash drive die on me, ever. I have some I've had for decades but they are just too small and slow. I'm really looking for a flash drive.

USB Thumb Drive die faster than HDD.

Reactions: jeannotte

bobbintb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB Thumb Drive die faster than HDD.
In terms of write cycles, yes. But external drives are subject to shock and other external forces that affect their lifespan. That's why the warranties for them are only a year, as opposed to desktop drives, which are typically 3-5 years.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of write cycles, yes. But external drives are subject to shock and other external forces that affect their lifespan. That's why the warranties for them are only a year, as opposed to desktop drives, which are typically 3-5 years.

Because thumb drive aren't meant for long hours use, they have shorter life span, and they are meant for transferring file not running files off them, I been using HDD with my Wii U for few years it run fine, the drive is still alive

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A real 512GB flash drive costs around $40-50 from Amazon, right? But you can pick up a HDD enclosure for $12 and throw an old laptop HDD into it. Or if you spend a further $28-43 then you can put a 2.5" SSD into it if you're that concerned about external forces.

I could tell you exactly which HDD enclosure to get if you're interested.

bobbintb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the suggestions but I am just looking for flash drive recommendations. I've done external drives, both HDD and SSD and that's not what I am looking for. I know the pros and cons of each and have 30 years experience in IT. I'll just keep using the flash drive I have if there aren't any good ones but if anyone knows of a large capacity flash drive that works well with Wii, I'd like to know what it is. Thanks.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's plugged into a Wii which is presumably stationary, when would it receive shocks?
If all your HDDs die within a year that's probably a sign that you need to be more careful with them.
I appreciate all the suggestions but I am just looking for flash drive recommendations. I've done external drives, both HDD and SSD and that's not what I am looking for. I know the pros and cons of each and have 30 years experience in IT. I'll just keep using the flash drive I have if there aren't any good ones but if anyone knows of a large capacity flash drive that works well with Wii, I'd like to know what it is. Thanks.
You could go with a SD card instead. All internal, and any one will work.

bobbintb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You missed the other half of my post. ;)
You could go with a SD card instead. All internal, and any one will work.
Unfortunately, USB Loader GX doesn't support SD cards for Wii games. Inexplicably, it supports SD for Gamecube though. I know others do but I prefer USB Loader GX, as does the rest of the family. I considered forking it to add SD card support but that's more effort than I want to take on.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1674589111263.png

You can get this but Im not sure how long would it last.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:O:bow:
WHA--?! OMG, thank you! I recently checked but I guess I was looking in the wrong place. I was checking out the sourceforge page. This is HUGE!
You're not alone. A lot of places are still linking to SourceForge, so a lot of people don't know that newer releases with a lot of new features and fixes can be found on GitHub.

I should warn you that you'll only be able to use EmuNAND saves from a USB storage device and some games (e.g. Excite Truck) currently don't work when they're played from an SD card.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some SD cards that aren't compatible with the Wii, but I've tested USB Loader GX with a 256GB Amazon Basics microSDXC card.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: