Gaming Laptop getting unusually hot(ter) than normal

Dangy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop has been getting hotter than normal lately. Idle temps are around 66c. Most of the time I'm using my laptop in a well-vented area, with around 21c area temp.

I have no idea what the problem could be. I cleaned out the fans, even though they didn't really need it. I have SpeedFan running, but I haven't tweaked anything.

WHAT DO?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Giving us the specs of the laptop would give us a better idea of what temps to expect.

Suggestions: check/replace the thermal paste, clean the vents thoroughly, from the inside, tweak the settings so it doesn't use up as much resources (e.g aero) or even down clocks the CPU, use battery saver mode, get a laptop cooling pad.

Dangy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I think I've got a bigger problem. Maybe no. So after I cleaned my computer out, changed some settings, made sure the fans had plenty of air, the temps were still super high.

My specs can be found here.

So, I think I may have a virus.

I think this because after I cleaned everything, and my temps were still high, I noticed my CPU usage was always at 100%. I opened process manager, and a process named "tasked.exe" was using 98 CPU at all times.

So I opened the location of the process, and it's located here: C:\Users\Preston\AppData\Local\Temp\acd

There are three files in this folder.

"tasked.exe"
"task.cmd"
"hsbca.exe"

The only one that shows up in process manager is "tasked.exe"

This is what I know:

-It doesn't run in Safe Mode.
-It starts 2-3 minutes after startup.
-I ran Avast! quick, startup, and full scan. Didn't find anything.
-Ran MBAM, found a few things. They weren't related.
-I can't kill the process tree. I mean, I can, but it just starts back up again.
-I can delete the folder, but it re-appears on start-up.

I will love whoever can help me eternally.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
hsbca.exe shows up on google as confirmed malware. The only references I can find for the other two files are czech (I think - one of those eastern european languages at least). Probably safe to assume they're malware too, since there are no Windows related mentions of them and it's taking up so much of your resources.

In the task manager, right click one of the files and go to properties. That will tell you where the file is located. Afterwards, you can use safe mode to delete the files (and probably the folders they come with) and also use MSCONFIG (in Start -> run) to disable any startup tasks related to them from running. That should hopefully fix it temporarily until you find a registry cleaner (or just REGEDIT yourself) to remove the entries for those files from 'run' and 'runonce'.

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was pretty much going to say what Originality had already said, also make sure you didn't break your heat sink fan with compressed air (I know so many people who spray it too hard and do this)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: +1