ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Browser: Firefox 3.6.13

So here's the short story:

A couple of days ago, I had AVG. And my key was expiring (It was a hacked version), and instead of getting new keys, I decided to just try Kaspersky which I heard was better than AVG. I installed it, did one scan as soon as it was installed, it picked up a couple of Trojans, which AVG did not warn me about.

So I scanned, got rid of the trojans no problem. Then I went to YouTube to watch some Classic Game Room reviews, and some of the videos didn't work. So I thought it might have just been the videos itself. I went to my videos, they didn't work either, which was weird because when I had AVG, it worked just fine.

I disabled Kaspersky and reloaded my video and the CGR video, and both worked perfectly, no buffering or anything. So I knew Kaspersky was the problem. I googled:

"Kaspersky 2011 anti-virus blocks YouTube videos"
and
"Kaspersky blocks youtube"

And both searches generated pretty similar results. Both searches pretty much came up with links that had this little guide:

QUOTE said:
  • Run Kaspersky and select web antivirus in Protection section
  • Select Configure and click customize.
  • On the General Tab, click ‘Use Streaming scan’ ---> OK
  • Restart browser.

I don't have any of those options. I can get to the Web Anti-Virus and click customize, but I don't have a "Use Streaming Scan" option.

Just tried my videos again, and it worked, but there are still some that just don't work at all. Even CGR videos that worked before, don't work

I even added "http://www.youtube.com" to the trusted urls, but still no luck. It seems this is a hit or miss thing. Any tips or anything?

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it is Kaspesky. I have been running Firefox and Kaspesky combo's for years and never had any streaming issues. Iplayer, youtube, divx and any other streams work fine. I am currently running the same versions as you.

If you have had viruses on your system then something to do with streaming has probably been f'ed. Try uninstalling flash player and firefox and then re-install, it wouldn't hurt to uninstall and re-load your codec pack either.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mantis41 said:
I don't think it is Kaspesky. I have been running Firefox and Kaspesky combo's for years and never had any streaming issues. Iplayer, youtube, divx and any other streams work fine. I am currently running the same versions as you.

If you have had viruses on your system then something to do with streaming has probably been f'ed. Try uninstalling flash player and firefox and then re-install, it wouldn't hurt to uninstall and re-load your codec pack either.

But if I shut down Kaspersky, and everything works fine, then I turn Kaspersky on, and it doesn't... then it's obviously Kaspersky that's blocking it. I haven't restarted the computer yet after tinkering with the settings, would that do it?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Ditch the bloated 3rd-party anti-virus softwares. Microsoft Security Essentials does a surprisingly good job and doesn't use a lot of resources and isn't overzealous. If your worried about getting viruses or running into nasty javascripts while browsing, then install NoScript for firefox (its great imo) and AdBlock Plus.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Crass said:
Ditch the bloated 3rd-party anti-virus softwares. Microsoft Security Essentials does a surprisingly good job and doesn't use a lot of resources and isn't overzealous. If your worried about getting viruses or running into nasty javascripts while browsing, then install NoScript for firefox (its great imo) and AdBlock Plus.

I don't trust Microsoft's services :/ I've always had trouble with them. And the trojans were caused by something about Java. And I have AdBlock Plus on.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kapersky is probably blocking it for a reason if it doesn't like the look of the code being run. Just un-install and re-install the browser and flash and see what happens. Kaspesky should work fine on default settings, no need to tweak anything.

Something must be up the shit if you can't run youtube but a seriously doubt it is Kaspersky it is more likely to be protecting your system from something.

Edit: I am also running ad-block plus - 1.3.3

Edit2: Disable all java console addons, they are not needed and just pose a security risk. You should be able to un-install all of the Java addons but if you can't just disable them first. Then hop on google, there are how to's for deleting the little shits from firefox on there.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
I don't trust Microsoft's services :/ I've always had trouble with them. And the trojans were caused by something about Java. And I have AdBlock Plus on.
Don't get me wrong, I feel the same way about alot of MS's services, but MSE really does a great job. Compared to AVG, Avast! or Kaspersky, it really is the best. Theres a lot of exploits that use the Java Runtime Enviroment, so I generally try to avoid installing it (I've avoided using it so far for the past 2 months since my last reformat). Check out NoScript, its annoying at first, but once you set permissions for all the websites you frequent then it becomes second nature.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
They all like to add browser addons.

Disable it and see if that fixes the issue (restart the browser after disabling it of course).

The videos seem to be working now even though I didn't touch anything. But there's the rare time it doesn't, so like I said, it's a hit or miss.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's something else. I have both kaspersky addons and everything else is on default. My firefox setup and all versions seem to be similar.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mantis41 said:
I think it's something else. I have both kaspersky addons and everything else is on default. My firefox setup and all versions seem to be similar.

I have no idea what else it could be.

+It worked fine with AVG
+It worked fine with AVG before I found out I had trojans.
+It worked fine when I had AVG uninstalled.
-It stopped working when Kaspersky was installed.

It seems to be doing better now. And I haven't installed anything else.... unless this has something to do with the reason my iTunes Store will never connect....

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Kapersky is probably blocking it for a reason if it doesn't like the look of the code being run. Just un-install and re-install the browser and flash and see what happens. Kaspesky should work fine on default settings, no need to tweak anything.

Something must be up the shit if you can't run youtube but a seriously doubt it is Kaspersky it is more likely to be protecting your system from something.

Edit: I am also running ad-block plus - 1.3.3

Edit2: Disable all java console addons, they are not needed and just pose a security risk. You should be able to un-install all of the Java addons but if you can't just disable them first. Then hop on google, there are how to's for deleting the little shits from firefox on there.
Honestly, if your having to uninstall and reinstall apps randomly to try to get them to work because your anti-virus is too overzealous, then its time to fucking switch AV softwares. At what point did the anti-virus's become worse than virus's themselves?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
The itunes store might not connect if you have some sort of proxy orDNS server set that's not allowing nameserver resolution to them for some reason.

After I uninstalled AVG and installed Kaspersky, I downgraded to iTunes 7, because frankly, that was the last best iTunes.

And I've followed all of their tutorials on their site to try and get it working, I did the flushDNS thing, all the diagnostics tests in iTunes has been passed. And this is the first time this happened. In all the other iTunes, I've had no troubles. You figure whatever was blocking YouTube, is blocking iTunes?

edit: nvm, I shut off Kaspersky, still didn't connect.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
easycrashing said:
May be faster to just backup needed data format your PC.

Out of the question unless someone feels like sending me a Windows XP disc.

So, I uninstalled Kaspersky 2011 Anti-Virus, installed Kaspersky 2011 Internet Security, and everything is going dandy, except for the iTunes problem I'm having. But that's gotta be a problem on their end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson