Gaming just got a laptop

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many options are available. I am going to assume you are running windows XP (it is not overly different for vista or 2000)

Best way.

Connect via your router (the little box that goes to the phone line). As I have no make/model for either the router or the laptop I can not say about wireless, I would be surprised though if there was not a wired option.
Wireless can be set up with ease, not knowing your software specific instructions are going to have to wait. Usually you go to wireless setup options, find your network (if you have one with a hidden SSID then you will have to type it, if it is not hidden just hit search and it should appear). Now hit connect to network, if you have encrypted* it you will either have to give a password now or cancel it and enter one).

*there are several forms of wireless encryption, the DS only supports the relative weak WEP standard but given the large amount of unencrypted networks available I would not worry.
Other protection methods include low power broadcast (useless and will ultimately just frustrate you), hidden SSID (not that effective and not really worth the time) and mac filtering (I can change my mac address in about 20 seconds if I am slow, not really worth it).

Next best way.
Bridged connections/Connection sharing.
Connection sharing is simpler (Windows should automatically do it), all you should have to do is connect your laptop

bridged connections require you to go to network connections, select two you want to use, right click and select bridge. Will effectively lose two connections for you but it appears as though the laptop is the PC. Not so useful unless you have many networks you do not want talking to each other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gt2ToRSjQA