Just got a Dreamcast

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally own a Dreamcast for the first time in my life, but I have virtually no clue of what it's capable of or what games are the best (I picked it up mainly for collection). I do know that it was manufactured in August 2000, so it can play backups, but that's pretty much it. Since the Essentials list is kinda gimped, what are some recommended games for it?

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Evolution, Silver, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Power Stone 1 & 2 and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh gosh! the Dreamcast was awesome and really far ahead of its time.
My votes are Sonic adventure 1 and 2 as well as the Powerstones.

Lushay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everything people named at the top. Also Shenmue 1&2, Street fighter 3rd strike, Grandia 2, Project justice, Demolition racer, Marvel capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, Cannon spike, Airforce Delta. and i can't really think of anything else.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
All of the above mentioned games are great. I'd add the first Marvel vs Capcom to the list seeing as it is the only true arcade perfect console version besides the one released in Japan for the Saturn with the Ram cart. I'll look thru my collection and add more when I get off of work.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
demonicstrife said:
Well, shit. My Dreamcast keeps resetting after a few minutes of playing. I hope to God this is fixable...

Open it up, you'll find a power board in there w/ a pass-through molex style connector. One of the spring tabs in the connector is likely broken or a pin has probably gone cold at it's joint on the motherboard. Basic soldering skills can fix either problem.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
demonicstrife said:
Well, shit. My Dreamcast keeps resetting after a few minutes of playing. I hope to God this is fixable...

Open it up, you'll find a power board in there w/ a pass-through molex style connector. One of the spring tabs in the connector is likely broken or a pin has probably gone cold at it's joint on the motherboard. Basic soldering skills can fix either problem.
What I did was remove the power board and push those 6 pins SLIGHTLY for better contact. It also had some dust and actual cobwebs, so I sprayed it out with some air. No issues anymore so far. Thanks though.

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
To tell if your dreamcast doesnt need a modchip I think you need to look under the Dreamcast and there will be a number, if it says 1 then you dont need one if it says 2 then you need a modchip. But im not sure I only saw it at a video.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a Dreamcast, I'd hold MvC2 tournaments at my house and that's the truth! Winner would take all entry fees of a dollar. (good times
rolleyes.gif
)

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you like dungeon crawlers, give Time Stalkers a go. I've only beaten it once and that was a long time ago so I don't remember much about it, but I did enjoy it a lot though.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
demonicstrife said:
Finally own a Dreamcast for the first time in my life, but I have virtually no clue of what it's capable of or what games are the best (I picked it up mainly for collection). I do know that it was manufactured in August 2000, so it can play backups, but that's pretty much it. Since the Essentials list is kinda gimped, what are some recommended games for it?

Wait. When were there Dreamcasts made that couldn't play blackups?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night