Hacking Just an idea: update proxy?

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi!

This is just an idea, but wouldn't it be possible to create something like an update proxy that stores the downloaded update on hdd instead of sending it to the switch and serve it later on demand? I think of something like this:

Fetch update and store it as X.X (i don't know if it is possible to automaticly get the info about the version since the updates are encrypted):
up1.png
And than serve the update on demand:
up2.png
So we could collect upcoming updates without updating our switch, and if a further firmware get hacked, then just update to it, even if nintendo offers a newer update than the desired update. I know the updates are encrypted, but it shouldn't be the problem to get them if the proxy would store and recognice the raw http requests too?

Attachments

• up1.png
    up1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 289
  • up1.png
    up1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 264
D

Deleted User

Hi!

This is just an idea, but wouldn't it be possible to create something like an update proxy that stores the downloaded update on hdd instead of sending it to the switch and serve it later on demand? I think of something like this:

Fetch update and store it as X.X (i don't know if it is possible to automaticly get the info about the version since the updates are encrypted):
View attachment 90226
And than serve the update on demand:
View attachment 90227
So we could collect upcoming updates without updating our switch, and if a further firmware get hacked, then just update to it, even if nintendo offers a newer update than the desired update. I know the updates are encrypted, but it shouldn't be the problem to get them if the proxy would store and recognice the raw http requests too?
iirc, the switch uses encrypted SSL requests, so this wouldn't work.

Reactions: Garblant

WiiFoundLove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I don't have any knowledge of SSL encryption, but is this a hardware thing? Or is ist simply encrypted data that is sended over a simply socket connection? Cause if the switch doesn't send anything inside the request that will change the encrypted data it should be possible to teach the proxy by starting the firmware download how the encrypted request for the firmware download looks like, so that it could recognice it and act appropriate.

Last edited by WiiFoundLove,

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
SSL is common for security connection and no it's not hardware thing
Simply put with SSL the client connect to the server at some URL (say nintendo.com) and then the server will pass a certificate stating that it really is a server with URL nintendo.com
This certificate is hard to forge unless you can already tamper the certificate authority in the client, so basically it's not easy to make a fake nintendo.com server using SSL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...