FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A minor aside- you mentioned svchost

That as the name implies hosts services (usually multiple ones at the same time) and killing them tends to have detrimental effects on a PC.

Still drop down to a command line and type tasklist /svc and assuming you are on a good version of XP (that is to say not XP home although there is an alternative for those) it will spring up with a process ID (which will be unique unlike the same) and services said svchost is running.

Usually though when speeding up a PC I do three things
1) Combofix or if going manual gmer. Malware and other nice hooks can be found and dropped for a nice speed boost.
2) Autostart entries and explorer addons- "msconfig" has a passable selection thing here. Stuff like hijack free http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/ does it better though.
3) The usual defrag, remove drive compression, remove drive indexing and choice explorer tweaks (animated windows and what have you, lose the 20 meg picture of their pet/kids and replace with 400K equivalent).

By and large installed programs just sit there although some of those might have services associated with them. As pocchama1996 said at the start- most of those are frameworks and runtime libraries so unless you only run a give few programs that can live without them you might as well leave it as more and more programs need them.

Do note messing with things you know nothing of is a quick way to mess up a machine.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
ShadowSoldier said:
game01 said:
just wanna share
microlist.png
wtf.gif

And I thought I had it bad.
for me it's not bad, because i think i need those sooner or later because i'm a programming student, and i have visual studio 2010 pro installed

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
A minor aside- you mentioned svchost

That as the name implies hosts services (usually multiple ones at the same time) and killing them tends to have detrimental effects on a PC.

Still drop down to a command line and type tasklist /svc and assuming you are on a good version of XP (that is to say not XP home although there is an alternative for those) it will spring up with a process ID (which will be unique unlike the same) and services said svchost is running.

Usually though when speeding up a PC I do three things
1) Combofix or if going manual gmer. Malware and other nice hooks can be found and dropped for a nice speed boost.
2) Autostart entries and explorer addons- "msconfig" has a passable selection thing here. Stuff like hijack free http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/ does it better though.
3) The usual defrag, remove drive compression, remove drive indexing and choice explorer tweaks (animated windows and what have you, lose the 20 meg picture of their pet/kids and replace with 400K equivalent).

By and large installed programs just sit there although some of those might have services associated with them. As pocchama1996 said at the start- most of those are frameworks and runtime libraries so unless you only run a give few programs that can live without them you might as well leave it as more and more programs need them.

Do note messing with things you know nothing of is a quick way to mess up a machine.

I haven't done a defrag on this computer at all. And I've had it for years. Figure it's about time I let it empty it's bowels?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been